Bike resurrection thread

Anything you like about motorbikes
cheb

Re: Bike resurrection thread

Post by cheb »

I replaced it with hose form an old outboard fuel line I hoicked out the skip a week or so back. The bulb had gone so hard even I threw it away.

The chain is back on, literally with the aid of a hammer*, and bike will turn the back wheel. It's dark out here now so will take photos in the morning.

Total cost so far is £0 spent. Now it's up to the owner to set a budget. He's also just offered me a moped/scooter so there' might be more bodgery going on soon.

*Only a small one, but even I'm slightly appalled.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Thinking more on fuel hoses, it's one of the more difficult things to buy online as the hose you receive frequently bears no relation to the hose you thought you were buying. It's something I try to buy when on the big island and can feel what I'm buying.

Anyway, the chain:

I'm a bit concerned about the split link as I've read that they aren't very reliable and can fail suddenly and without warning.

Something I learned today, centrifugal clutches can stick:

No I didn't fall on my arse when the bike flipped as I opened the throttle. Nobody saw me and there's no pictures so it didn't happen.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

I have freed up stuck clutches a number of times with a decent shock.

Front wheel secured, lift the bike up with the wheel spinning, jump on the seat as if you're bump starting.

Even with a small device like this, it still has enough power to rip off a limb if you're not careful. If this motor was fitted to an actual chainsaw, you'd give it more respect than the kids' toy it is dressed up as.

I wonder how practical that is with a centrifugal clutch which has to grip at high rpm. Probably worth finding out what exact mechanism it uses before snapping a belt or breaking a roller. I think it's one of those things that has to come apart.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Sadly it never even occurred to me it might be stuck. It was no match for my sitting on it.

Talking of chainsaws, the new chain for the one I found at the tip has just arrived. Playtime.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Someone's been at it before, that dark lump is the top of a sheared off fitting.

It doesn't always work first time:

cheb

Post by cheb »

This is missing from the previous post:

One solution is to a weld a nut to it. The heat loosens it and the nut gives you something to turn.

cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't know why that pic and text doesn't appear, it's there when I try to edit the page.
cheb

Post by cheb »

cheb wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:07 am Someone's been at it before, that dark lump is the top of a sheared off fitting.

It doesn't always work first time:

Quoted for testing, and to marvel at the sheer brilliance of this post.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Update and belated updates: The chain arrived and was fitted. The bike was returned to its owner several weeks ago. I met him today when shopping recently and his kid has been out on it. Both he and said kid are happy, despite the latter falling off several times.

I suspect the child's mother is slightly less happy than the father. My work here is done. :angelic-green: