Weird motorcycle things you remember

Anything you like about motorbikes
Druid

Re: Weird motorcycle things you remember

Post by Druid »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:16 pm
I'm also old enough to remember the joke of a motorcycle test that existed in the '60s. You were told to go round the block by a man on foot with a clipboard, who could only observe your riding for a maximum of a quarter of the distance you travelled. To test the emergency stop he'd pretend to jump out in front of you and see how you responded. As long as you didn't lock up or hit him, you passed. And his intention was telegraphed for so long in advance you had to be a complete numpty to fail.
that test was still in use in 1981, when I took my test. On a 250 :)
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

riding my Bultaco Sherpa to work during the snow Evening post stuffed down my jeans. before I fell off it and ended up in Hospital.Circa 1976

Post by 1913 »

chin sheng tires, the twunts. Skid without braking on warm, dry roads.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Bridgestones weren't up to much then either.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Japanese Dunlops were original equipment on a lot of Japanese bikes and they didn’t grip well in the wet.

Because they had “Nylon” written on them, the typical bike owning dunderheads thought the tyres were made of nylon instead of rubber.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

[that test was still in use in 1981, when I took my test. On a 250 :)

Rumour has it that a tester jumped out in front of someone who wasn’t actually taking their test & got run over, was what put an end to that type of test.

Me, I failed to pass my test within the two Yr time limit so got a yrs ban - promptly went and bought a 250 & Sam brown belt to make myself "look" legal 🤪
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Horse wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:32 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:43 pm I remember front numberplates
My first bike had one (registered '74), I removed it.

They had the nickname 'pedestrian slicer', don't know how deserved that was.
My first 3 bikes had front number plates and they were indeed hazardous to pedestrians. I remember when they were decriminalised - I took mine off that very day. I also remember going for a blat up the road on the day before helmets were made compulsory (without helmet, obvs) and at not much more than 30mph my eyes started watering from the wind. I'd always worn a helmet and could never understand the opposition to the helmet law.

I'm also old enough to remember the joke of a motorcycle test that existed in the '60s. You were told to go round the block by a man on foot with a clipboard, who could only observe your riding for a maximum of a quarter of the distance you travelled. To test the emergency stop he'd pretend to jump out in front of you and see how you responded. As long as you didn't lock up or hit him, you passed. And his intention was telegraphed for so long in advance you had to be a complete numpty to fail.
My part 2 test in 1985 was the same as this, part 1 just proved you could ride round at 5 mph without falling off
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:01 pm
My part 2 test in 1985 was the same as this, part 1 just proved you could ride round at 5 mph without falling off
Main thing about Part One was looking over your shoulder. You could fail on the first exercise if you didn't do any.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Horse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:01 pm
Main thing about Part One was looking over your shoulder. You could fail on the first exercise if you didn't do any.
I remember being warned about that at the time, I looked behind me about once every 10 seconds on my part 1 test
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

"During each of the first three exercises I would like you to take rear observation as you would when riding on the road. That is before starting, before stopping and before turning."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When my Dad did his test in the 70s he got half way around the block and then had to stop for 5 mins while a lorry did a complicated multi point turn in the road.

When he got all the way around the examiner asked "wtf have you been?"....after my Dad's explanation he just said "oh....you pass then!".

Difficult test indeed.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I couldn’t remember the route the tester told me to follow, so we lost each other for a while.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

inewham wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 pm On my driving test, half way through the 3 point turn a dog came and stood in front of the van and puked for what felt like an eternity. I failed that one :lol:
You were supposed to get out and kick its arse.

Don’t you know the Highway Code?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

1913 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:22 pm Police on bike that were far slower than bike with a quarter of the capacity.
Me on a Kaw 900 or 1000, cousin on his Constabulary issue Trumpet twin around 1978. He was standing at the side of the road in a lay-by eating his sandwich when I dawdled past & recognised him. Went down the road a ways, turned around & came back past him at Warp Factor Stupid.
He was so startled he dropped his sandwich. I slowed down so he could catch up & at one point I braked a bit sharpish coming out of a band & he passed me. This lead to him being in front gesticulating wildly for me to pull over, which I didn't, I passed him & buggered off.
Got far enough ahead to stop & light a cig before he showed up. He was fit to be tied, reading me the riot act as he walked up to me.
Me: Hi Mike
Him: frothing slightly at the mouth & using the kind of language that's unappreciated in polite circles.
He calmed down a bit when he paused long enough to get his breath back & recognised me.
Me: Did I see you drop your sarnie? .... That just set him off again.

Anywho, a few weeks later I was at my parents place & get "When did you last see your cousin Mike?"
Me: At his brother Chris's wedding in Exeter about 8 years ago
Mother: "That's not what I heard...."
That was followed by a 10 minute lecture about being a smartarse.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:46 am Me: Hi Mike
Him: frothing slightly at the mouth & using the kind of language that's unappreciated in polite circles.
We had a couple of tame coppers who used to come along to the training scheme.

One evening, an instructor was heading off to his evening bar job, he saw Roy sat on a roundabout watching traffic, looking bored. So as he passed he generously donated a single figure salute, then accelerated.

In the mirror he saw the police bike being bumped of the stand and move off.

Three miles later, he arrived in the pub car park and had just enough time to turn around and say ... "Oh fuck". It was Brian LJ, who didn't visit the scheme, and who wasn't very impressed.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Druid wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:43 am
that test was still in use in 1981, when I took my test. On a 250 :)
That test was still in use in NI up until 1997. I took my test on a GN250 in Newtownards in 96 and got lost, a quick u turn later and I passed the examiner standing at the roundabout, engrossed in his paper.....

I swear they made their minds up within 10 seconds of watching you ride off.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 am We had a couple of tame coppers who used to come along to the training scheme.

One evening, an instructor was heading off to his evening bar job, he saw Roy sat on a roundabout watching traffic, looking bored. So as he passed he generously donated a single figure salute, then accelerated.

In the mirror he saw the police bike being bumped of the stand and move off.

Three miles later, he arrived in the pub car park and had just enough time to turn around and say ... "Oh fuck". It was Brian LJ, who didn't visit the scheme, and who wasn't very impressed.
I know a pair of brothers who are with the same County PD. Few years ago they get pulled over by a CHP cop.
CHP Cop: Do you have a radar detector?
PD Cop: No, but my brother does & he thinks you're wearing a funny hat
CHP: Oh really? Wait here....
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Speaking of CHP....

CHiPs is on Forces TV at the minute, although I was a big fan when I was 4, it hasn't aged well.

Basically a weak story, a few stunts and lots of posing by Erik Estrada. Who didn't actually have a motorcycle licence........
Le_Fromage_Grande

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:21 pm Speaking of CHP....

CHiPs is on Forces TV at the minute, although I was a big fan when I was 4, it hasn't aged well.

Basically a weak story, a few stunts and lots of posing by Erik Estrada. Who didn't actually have a motorcycle licence........
It's better than the Dukes of Hazzard which is also on Forces TV, I'm quite enjoying watching CHiPs, but I never watched it when it was on in the 70s.
Honda Owner
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:21 pm Who didn't actually have a motorcycle licence........
He didn’t need one. They look after their own.

There’s nothing “weak story” about this!

https://youtu.be/LQBTixd9R4U