KTM RC8... They really should have done better ? or...

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

KTM RC8... They really should have done better ? or...

Post by weeksy »

Personally i think they're an amazing looking thing, but they fell foul for me of being in a class that at the time was just incredibly hard to be the best...

2008-10 was the time of the Big Bang R1, the superb GSXR1000, the Honda Fireblade of course and even the Ducati 1098.

I rode one 3-4 times, including an RC8R, but for me it just didn't live up to the hype i'd put within my mind on it and a day out with Crust back to back testing the RC8 at Premier Bikes and a 1098 down at Moto Rapido, settled the fate of the RC8 to be a bike i was destined to never buy.
I also did 1 session on one at Pembrey back a few years ago and didn't really find i gelled with it either..

But what a thing to look at.

But then you compare it to the 1098 and i still think the RC8 has a place, but it's so radically different compared to the competition isn't it.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: KTM RC8... They really should have done better ? or...

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The styling is very KTM
Honda Owner
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I recall watching the BSBs at Mallory about 10 years ago. The RC8 qualified OK but during the race he seemed to lose places every lap. IMO the bike just wasn't up to it !
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

There was time when they couldn't give them away ( I was seriously looking but didn't bite) - around about 2011/ 2012 ish.
Now the secondhand price is stupid - 8k upwards ....
for a 12 year old bike

Like a lot of KTM design - it is very cutting edge in an angular " we don't do curves" way ... but they have dated very quickly.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I think they look great. I had a look on eBay and you can get an ok one for six grand it seems.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I love it. Have always wanted one. But as Mr Moofo says, they are getting far too much for a second hand old bike (even if they were cheap I couldn't get one at the moment but at least I would be able to dream with the thought it was achievable!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

The sharpest looking arse ever!

I like them and I'd bet the niggles could be sorted if it was a keeper. One of the very few bikes you could pick out as a silhouette.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

Rode one for an hour in 2012 in the Austrian Alps and it was just urging you on all the time. Thoroughly enjoyable. My overriding memory was the engine rather than the handling etc. Loved it. Didn't ever cross my mind to buy one as I wasn't looking for a big sports bike.
RC8.JPG
RC8.JPG (68.15 KiB) Viewed 960 times
In 2015 it was the bike my mate Biscuits wanted. Was all over it at the bike show ... but then ended up on an 1199 Tricolore. Something just didn't click.
Biscuits.JPG
Biscuits.JPG (83.51 KiB) Viewed 960 times
We do need more bikes with radical designs for sure.
Pgm

Post by Pgm »

I put a deposit on one then went to ally pally or wherever it was to have a look, it was in the orange like weeksy has posted.
I thought it looked awful as it wasn’t painted and just orange plastic, phoned up and asked for my deposit back.
I did buy an Akrapovic le version a few years later but prefer too look at it than ride it.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

They did do better - it was called the RC8R...

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I knew it wouldn't mean a painful and expensive divorce...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:20 pm They did do better - it was called the RC8R...

I'd have one in a heartbeat if I knew it wouldn't mean a painful and expensive divorce...
Wasn't that much better, bit quicker yeah but not as much as I'd have liked.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I thought the colour schemes were better, and they'd fixed a number of minor issues with the R. But they do represent the high point of the non-traction control era. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on your PoV. But I'm equally sure that both the RC8 and RC8R are way quicker than I will ever be/have ever been.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:21 pm I thought the colour schemes were better, and they'd fixed a number of minor issues with the R. But they do represent the high point of the non-traction control era. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on your PoV. But I'm equally sure that both the RC8 and RC8R are way quicker than I will ever be/have ever been.
Without doubt. It just didn't match up to the 1098 for me
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Am I weird that I prefer the KTM? I have a friend that tracks a 1098s (or r?) so I do appreciate the bike and have seen it in the flesh and well used! I've seen some RC8's, most notably when I upset one on TLGP that he wasn't ready for (I was on the 390 :lol: :lol: )

But in comparison to the RC8, the 1098's a bit, well, a bit 'blobby'

The RC8 has beautiful sleek, fine lines. Tis gawgus!! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I rode Screwd's bike when he had it. 2012 RC8R I think. Brilliant engine, so smooth and tractable, just pulled the horizon closer at warp speeds, I could fit on it very comfortably even being the long chap I am. I'd have one if I thought I could afford servicing and my license... It is stylistically very challenging, but for me it was a lovely ride. Withing two minutes of riding it I was filtering happily in rush hour traffic on the North Circular and making "good progress", it just clicked. I had a few bits of open road where it stretched its legs and just scarpered off the line. But then I like the K1200R too, so I am special.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I don't really like sportsbike styling but i think they look good, especially the tail unit. As Skub says a very recognisable bike and one even I can pick out!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

A friend who owned one and graduated to it from a VFR800 (!) reckons it was the most comfortable bike he'd ever ridden and would happily have ridden it to the south of France. And he's (ahem) 'generously proportioned'...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm A friend who owned one and graduated to it from a VFR800 (!) reckons it was the most comfortable bike he'd ever ridden and would happily have ridden it to the south of France. And he's (ahem) 'generously proportioned'...
ISTR Henry Cole remaking about the RC8s comfort.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:19 am I think they look great. I had a look on eBay and you can get an ok one for six grand it seems.
Not the “R”.
And when KTM fuelling is bad , it’s horrid
Potter

Post by Potter »

I never got it personally, I think it looks awful and the ride reports suggested it wasn't great either.
Saying that, I'm not a huge fan of the 1098, in fact I didn't like anything between the 998 and the 1199.

It's obviously more about me than the bikes, because there are a few times throughout my life where I haven't liked anything on the market for a period of time, then the styles change and I'm back in the game. The shell suit colours of the 90's, the 999/1098 era, etc.