The bike that takes you back.... ahhh the memories

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

The bike that takes you back.... ahhh the memories

Post by weeksy »

Needs to have an Ebay link so you could actually buy it..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-ZXR ... SwYMFfKskh

The bike that started it all for me... first ever ride, first time on a bike, they were the days, chasing my mate on his big brute of a thing and me pinned on the tank screaming the heck out of the ZXR400.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The bike that takes you back.... ahhh the memories

Post by weeksy »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-YAMAHA- ... SwwnRe~JuP

This was the second ever bike, the super smooth Thundercat, bought on a whim as we were at a local bike night and he used to stay open late and pick up customers... Loved it... Not sure my exhaust was quite that red... but i don't recall it being subtle either i must admit.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

This

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YPVS- ... SwMrxfdg3W

Handy that I already own one

Anyway, I didn't really take much notice of motorbikes until 1983 when I turned 16 and could legally ride one, I remember seeing one of these in 1983 outside Revetts of Stowmarket and thinking that looks fantastic.

After passing my test in 1985 I really wanted a YPVS but couldn't afford one, so bought a 250LC instead, which was replaced with a 350LC two tears later, I then foolishly had a brief flirtation with big early 80s 4 strokes, before getting a very nice YPVS in 1990, this is the bike I owned when I met my wife and the first really nice bike I owned, it was very reliable and I went all over England on it, even after a Stan Stephens tune it remained reliable. Sold it to a friend who was bikeless on the understanding he'd sell it back to me when he wanted to get rid of it, the twat sold it to someone else for less than I'd have given him for it.

Anyway bought another one in September last year, it needs doing up, it's nearly finished the dry build stage, after that I will take it apart completely, get the frame painted and rebuild it, hopefully have it on the road in May.
Honda Owner
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

ZXR750H2. My first big bike. Had to recalibrate my brain the first time I wound it WFO.

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Yamaha- ... 7675.l2557

Pretty much the colour and year of the one I passed my test on. Terribly gutless but I must have done 10s of thous of miles on it, earning enough pocketmoney to keep it in 2-stroke. Eventually I lent it to my brother and he bust it, so I repaired it and sold it on before he could do it again.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

First bike i ever rode on the road belonging to next door neighbour who was about 19 years old. I was 16 at the time so legally restricted to 50cc but he gave me the keys and a borrowed helmet to take it for a spin. Prior to this i had only ever ridden a couple of field bikes but could just about use clutch and gears :D

First time it hit the power band in second i burst out laughing and that was the proper start of always wanting to be riding bikes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD400 ... SwZmpfcPSK
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

First bike i rode on the fields was a TS50 but no links from fleabay for one to buy so i'll go with the second one. A Suzuki TS125 which was blue and yellow and a complete shit tip nothing like the one below. No lights, number plate or indicators. Seat held together with tape, tank dented and panels missing but to be expected when shared between 4 14-16 year olds learning to ride bikes :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS125 ... SwimFgEVzw
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My first race bike. It was shit. Rarely getting into top10.
20201206_121934.jpg
20201206_121934.jpg (635.87 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:08 pm First bike i ever rode on the road belonging to next door neighbour who was about 19 years old. I was 16 at the time so legally restricted to 50cc but he gave me the keys and a borrowed helmet to take it for a spin. Prior to this i had only ever ridden a couple of field bikes but could just about use clutch and gears :D

First time it hit the power band in second i burst out laughing and that was the proper start of always wanting to be riding bikes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD400 ... SwZmpfcPSK
I think that's the first bike I ever rode - Dad bought one as a commuter when he restarted riding, and let me have a go around in first. I would have been 8!
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Absolute;y loved this. Would just ride and ride and ride for hours on it. It was the first bike i had that could accelerate up hills and not gradually slow down! :D

G.P

Post by G.P »

My first 2 stroke. I'd had an SS50, a CB175, a BSA C15 and a Norton Jubilee. It felt like this thing put out more power than all the others put together!
My dad had bought it out in Oman and bought it home when he finished his contract, He sold it to me for the price I sold my old C15 forso we could go on a touring holiday together.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yamaha YR5 350 Loads more go than the 250s owned previously.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Yamaha- ... SwpixgEZ8i

The 350 and 250 YDS7 looked identical and since I was still limited to a 250,I stuck a set of 250 side panels on the YR5. :thumbup:
I copped a 12 months ban while still on a provisional license.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

16th birthday, not sure if I went to school on it or waited until I got home. Independence and able to travel further than the pusher. Ace memories. 17th was gp100 on the road, ace aswel. 👍

Yamaha rocket 3
Druid

Post by Druid »

Skub wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:24 pm Yamaha YR5 350 Loads more go than the 250s owned previously.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Yamaha- ... SwpixgEZ8i

The 350 and 250 YDS7 looked identical and since I was still limited to a 250,I stuck a set of 250 side panels on the YR5. :thumbup:
I copped a 12 months ban while still on a provisional license.

I read the first post, went looking for a YR5 on ebay then found that you'd beat me to it :(

I waited till I'd passed my test before buying my YR5, in the lovely white/purple colour scheme.

It had also been fitted with an aircooled RD350 front end, which sported a disc brake instead of a drum brake.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Honda-M ... 3851461138

If only it was in 'Cat Sick' Yellow like mine was (and had a white topbox).

Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:34 pm This

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YPVS- ... SwMrxfdg3W

Handy that I already own one

Anyway, I didn't really take much notice of motorbikes until 1983 when I turned 16 and could legally ride one, I remember seeing one of these in 1983 outside Revetts of Stowmarket and thinking that looks fantastic.

After passing my test in 1985 I really wanted a YPVS but couldn't afford one, so bought a 250LC instead, which was replaced with a 350LC two tears later, I then foolishly had a brief flirtation with big early 80s 4 strokes, before getting a very nice YPVS in 1990, this is the bike I owned when I met my wife and the first really nice bike I owned, it was very reliable and I went all over England on it, even after a Stan Stephens tune it remained reliable. Sold it to a friend who was bikeless on the understanding he'd sell it back to me when he wanted to get rid of it, the twat sold it to someone else for less than I'd have given him for it.

Anyway bought another one in September last year, it needs doing up, it's nearly finished the dry build stage, after that I will take it apart completely, get the frame painted and rebuild it, hopefully have it on the road in May.
Exactly this bike, passed test at 17 in 1986 and bought a mint 2 year old one for £1000 👍
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Peugeot Speedfight 2....SSSA, at the front. :D

My first ever road legal wheels and also the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new, free insurance made it worthwhile.

Did CBT on my 16th Birthday and away I went.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:40 pm Image

Peugeot Speedfight 2....SSSA, at the front. :D

My first ever road legal wheels and also the only vehicle I've ever bought brand new, free insurance made it worthwhile.

Did CBT on my 16th Birthday and away I went.
The Melody was mine. It was my mums, but she upgraded to a TS50X. Did my CBT on an MT5 two days after my 16th and was road bound on the inherited Melody the day after.
Potter

Post by Potter »

There are none for sale on ebay, but an AR50, it was my first bike and I went everywhere on it for a year as a 16yr old.
I went to work every morning, college once a week in the next town and out with my mates in the evening.

I don't have a single picture of it because back in those days we very rarely took pictures of things, we were too busy out enjoying life.

cheb

Post by cheb »

The AR is one of the best looking 50cc bikes.

Mine would be a CB125S, for the reason it took me further than my push bike. And was faster.

ttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB125S-1975-PA ... SwAe1euVBN

That one ^ has a CB125J front end, the S had a drum, the J had a disc.

Added: Or it's a J with S sidepanels.