Yamaha XSR900
54%
Kawasaki Z900RS
46%

Total votes: 26

lostboy

Re: XSR vs ZRS

Post by lostboy »

For me that's a bit like asking which of your children is your favourite. I know they're a bit different but they are two of the best at the moment.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'll let you know when I've chosen :D

They are both on my list of possible next bikes and I intend to ride both this year. I think the Z looks better, I'm expecting the XSR to handle better, but no basis for saying that. On the engine front it'll be interesting. Everything I read/hear says the CP3 engine is amazing, but when I rode Weeksy's I found it a bit flat. It's such a flat delivery that it's great for progress, but doesn't have that wow factor. It pulls from low to high in exactly the same way, there's no step, no kick etc. Coming from the 690 I found it a bit beige. Effective but beige.

I reckon though I'm more likely to end up with either an XSR/Tracer or Z900 rather than the RS. As cheaper and Z1's were before my time, and again no basis for this, but suspect the Z9 will handle better than the RS. And it'll have LCD dash rather than wind up clocks.

If covid hadn't of arrived and completely knackered the travel industry I reckon I'd be buying one about now or already have it. But fully expecting the Mrs to be Jobless come April so bike buying is still on hold :(
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

This poll is exactly what I've been mulling over, but I've voted XSR because I intend to put my money where my mouth is this year. I think of the two, the yam will be more dynamic and lively, lighter and sportier. I *need* the yellow one though, as it just looks so much better with speed blocks.

I can also see myself buying the zed at some future point, because I have a soft spot for kawasakis and it looks like they have finally made one that looks retro but is reasonably light. I fully intend to test ride one when possible, and find out if all of the above is true.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

bevvo wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am This poll is exactly what I've been mulling over, but I've voted XSR because I intend to put my money where my mouth is this year. I think of the two, the yam will be more dynamic and lively, lighter and sportier. I *need* the yellow one though, as it just looks so much better with speed blocks.
With the tank panels being swappable in a couple of minutes, you could quite easily go between the various colours without too much messing. That is, if any ever came up on ebay etc.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:37 am
bevvo wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am This poll is exactly what I've been mulling over, but I've voted XSR because I intend to put my money where my mouth is this year. I think of the two, the yam will be more dynamic and lively, lighter and sportier. I *need* the yellow one though, as it just looks so much better with speed blocks.
With the tank panels being swappable in a couple of minutes, you could quite easily go between the various colours without too much messing. That is, if any ever came up on ebay etc.
Yeah, I was toying with the idea of getting a cheaper grey or blue one and getting the panels sprayed. Of course, the yellow one also has the goldy-looking forks to prove its the real anniversary model. I can't decide if that matters.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I don't see why anyone under 50 would buy the Z, it's a restyled Z900 trying to look like a bike from the mid 70s, I'm 53 and I think the styling is a bit too old fashioned for me.
The XSR just looks a horrible mess, the MT09 looks better, and that's not a pretty motorcycle.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 am The XSR just looks a horrible mess, the MT09 looks better, and that's not a pretty motorcycle.
I like the later MT09 with the MT-10 look-a-like stuff. But when i rode the MT09SP of Couchies at Donington, i can't help but feel my XSR is a nicer bike to ride. Whilst the looks of a bike are of course important, it's got to be right to ride as well.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:44 am I like the later MT09 with the MT-10 look-a-like stuff. But when i rode the MT09SP of Couchies at Donington, i can't help but feel my XSR is a nicer bike to ride. Whilst the looks of a bike are of course important, it's got to be right to ride as well.
I'm sure it rides lovely, and the looks are purely a matter of taste, I don't like the looks of the XSR700 either, if they made it look like a 1983 RD350 I'd being queueing up to buy one.
I'm surprised you didn't get an MT09, to me, the looks are similar to the XT660X.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:44 am I like the later MT09 with the MT-10 look-a-like stuff. But when i rode the MT09SP of Couchies at Donington, i can't help but feel my XSR is a nicer bike to ride. Whilst the looks of a bike are of course important, it's got to be right to ride as well.
I'm sure it rides lovely, and the looks are purely a matter of taste, I don't like the looks of the XSR700 either, if they made it look like a 1983 RD350 I'd being queueing up to buy one.
I'm surprised you didn't get an MT09, to me, the looks are similar to the XT660X.
As above, it struggled more than i would have accepted. I had a few back end moments at Donny and that was on the SP Ohlins shod version on super sticky rubber, so i can only imagine the standard version was worse on track. Couchie was having even more moments, multiple times per lap when pushing on at his pace, so much so that after 3 sessions he pulled in, put it in the van and went home. Trackdays may not be the most important part of my riding, but they're certainly pretty important. I did a lot of research on the XSR900 before jumping including watching lots of track videos, well, several as not many people track them. But also the MT09 was a bit generic jap naked for me and i really fancied the retro aspect of the XSR900.

I took this pic back in 2017 as it was the first time i saw an XSR900 in the flesh and named the picture 'nice' in the tag
ImageNice by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Since then i actually looked and debated the XSR900 many many many times over the years when swapping bikes. But it was only due to having a few niggles with the 690 that i jumped on it and rode it.... within 100m of pulling away, i knew i was buying it. I still did 25 miles on the test ride though :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

inewham wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm
A pillion seat you could expect the wife to sit on for more than 5 mins? The Z900 pillion is ridiculous (and no, the Mrs has a small arse :) )
We need photos :D and not of a Z900RS seat
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

What's the difference between an MT09 and an XSR, I thought the XSR was a restyled MT09.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

inewham wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:33 pm the Mrs has a small arse :)
It's you isn't it? :P :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:35 pm What's the difference between an MT09 and an XSR, I thought the XSR was a restyled MT09.
Differently sprung and slightly different geometry. Could be something as simple as longer tank and sitting in a lower/further back position. I think the bars are different heights but that could be fork length etc.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Well the poll is close, although I thought it was probably going to go the other way, maybe people are scared of Weeksy's mighty ban hammer!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

:banana-wrench: Or maybe people just know it's better

In a couple of weeks give both a try
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:57 pm Well the poll is close, although I thought it was probably going to go the other way, maybe people are scared of Weeksy's mighty ban hammer!
It's not surprising though really, with the caveat of the engine they're both basically the same category of bike but with different quirky looks, it's not like you put a Panigale up against a Tenere. So it just comes down to which quirky look you prefer and which colour.

I've never really looked at the XSR properly before but last night the opening post of this thread was on my screen whilst I was on the phone, so I was staring at it for a good 10 minutes. It looks purposely built like a custom bike, nothing matches, the tank doesn't sit properly on the frame, the seat doesn't sit flush with the tank, etc. It's obviously supposed to be like that so it's actually quite clever, they managed to mass produce a bike that looks like a custom bike made up of different parts - plus you can easily change things and make it your own, which is very popular.

The Kawasaki is also clever in that it's a nice enough looking bike with classic type retro lines, so it might appeal to younger riders who want to buy into the retro thing, plus a whopping great bundle of nostalgia for those of us old enough to drool after a big Zed as kids.

The design chaps did a decent job and both hit their mark, most people quite like both bikes, so I'm not surprised they're about 50/50 in the poll.
cheb

Post by cheb »

The Z for me, mostly because that gap under the tank on the Yam really irritates me.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

cheb wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 am The Z for me, mostly because that gap under the tank on the Yam really irritates me.
It's funny as until you and Potter mentioned it I'd never noticed, but it does look a bit gash doesn't it.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm I'm torn.

I think I'd prefer the engine of the XSR, but the frame/tank shape put me off.

The RS wheels look great.
This. I just prefer the cleaner lines of the RS. I dare say the xsr is better to ride and feels better with the triple. I also prefer the clocks of the RS (well not entirely - I wish they had a digi speedo, can barely red the numbers at my age!).

So if I had to choose (and if you are giving, I am happy to take)- its the RS
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Lets mix this up a teeny bit.

So the RRP of a new council spec ZRS is £10,699

The XSR is £9,499.

How about this for £8,995?

https://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/configure-blackout/