Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
G.P

Re: Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Post by G.P »

Yep, its looking highly unlikely. Portugal appears to be in a really bad state at the moment too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55902317
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

thanks not because that makes me happy... but just for commenting.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

G.P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:19 am Yep, its looking highly unlikely. Portugal appears to be in a really bad state at the moment too.

It's also on the Red list, so factor in £1700 for quarantine. :cry:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 am
G.P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:19 am Yep, its looking highly unlikely. Portugal appears to be in a really bad state at the moment too.

It's also on the Red list, so factor in £1700 for quarantine. :cry:

Yup, it's currently hard to see it happening in the way we planned with us all there I must admit, I've still got my "glass half full" head on though, and am hoping that the situation will ease and that requirement so away within coming weeks, in sufficient time for people to still be able to go.
Fingers crossed.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Tricky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Yup, it's currently hard to see it happening in the way we planned with us all there I must admit, I've still got my "glass half full" head on though, and am hoping that the situation will ease and that requirement so away within coming weeks, in sufficient time for people to still be able to go.
Fingers crossed.
I wasn't going anyway, so not my call, but IMO anyone booking anything that involves travel needs to be aware they may not be able too go, and may not get their money back. It also looks like they may get stung for quarantine on their way home.

I have booked 2 short breaks in the UK, I can cancel them without penalty up to 48 hours before I go. Another place I really wanted to book was operating a big deposit,/no refund policy. They didn't get my business.

Times have changed, the days of nipping off to wherever are gone. I hope they come back, but I am not that confident, and if they do return it won't be in 2021.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 pm I can't even nip over to Gran Canaria currently as we're all locked down for a while. If Portimao is a no show, then I'm definitely going over to Maspalomas...

http://circuitomaspalomas.com/
Would you get out of second on that track? Looks very short and tight!

The go-kart track on the other side of the road looks great fun!
G.P

Post by G.P »

Tricky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm Yup, it's currently hard to see it happening in the way we planned with us all there I must admit, I've still got my "glass half full" head on though, and am hoping that the situation will ease and that requirement so away within coming weeks, in sufficient time for people to still be able to go.
Fingers crossed.
Likewise but I'm starting to think I'd rather its delayed 12 months and we can go without any restrictions at all and enjoy the bars and restaurants and party properly.
The Wiltshire contingent were also planning a trip down to the Pyrenees in late June. I suspect that might now be a tour of Scotland :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:12 pm
Tricky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Fingers crossed.
I wasn't going anyway, so not my call, but IMO anyone booking anything that involves travel needs to be aware they may not be able too go, and may not get their money back. It also looks like they may get stung for quarantine on their way home.

I have booked 2 short breaks in the UK, I can cancel them without penalty up to 48 hours before I go. Another place I really wanted to book was operating a big deposit,/no refund policy. They didn't get my business.

Times have changed, the days of nipping off to wherever are gone. I hope they come back, but I am not that confident, and if they do return it won't be in 2021.
In our defence, we did book this 6 months ago with a thought the world would be in a better place by now. MAybe that was ridiculous of us... but it seemed feasible at the time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm The Wiltshire contingent were also planning a trip down to the Pyrenees in late June. I suspect that might now be a tour of Scotland :D
If the Wiltshire massive would be OK with an interloper joining in from the east of the border, i'd certainly like to be considered :)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:18 pm In our defence, we did book this 6 months ago with a thought the world would be in a better place by now. MAybe that was ridiculous of us... but it seemed feasible at the time.
Six months ago that was a reasonable decision, Not risk free, but not a stupid risk either.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

At the moment it's more a case of "will we get anything back" rather than "will we be going"

The more that gets said and written the less likely i see it being, i'd rather like the organiser to put us all out of our misery and tell us it's canned, at least then we're not sitting with debates, discussions, what ifs etc, it's then gone, done, sorted.... But i guess they're waiting for being forced to do that as they can then claim any expenses back from the hotel/track etc.
In the ideal world, they'll give us credit/refund and we can simply rebook this time next year. If the flights can be moved as easily as Easyjet say (we've moved one and it was indeed easy.... but will it be in 10 months time, i dunno, hope so) then we'll be golden and have something to very much look forward to next year.

I know I've been a bit negative on this thread in the past 4-6 weeks but this trip really is a dream trip for me, a bunch of brilliant mates at Portimao and drinking beer and if i'm honest i'm absolutely gutted it's not happening this year, i guess that was showing in my posting style within the thread.

But i really do live in hope that the replacement trip is equally as amazing.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I'm more than happy to let the TDO keep my deposit for the the same event in 2022.

@weeksy The more the merrier for any excursion we do in the summer mate.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

is going to (or can afford to
weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:47 pm ............, i'd rather like the organiser to put us all out of our misery and tell us it's canned, at least then we're not sitting with debates, discussions, what ifs etc, it's then gone, done, sorted.... But i guess they're waiting for being forced to do that as they can then claim any expenses back from the hotel/track etc.
Yep. No business is going to (or can afford to) cancel stuff until the very last moment. And then they will resist any refunds if they can.

I don't like it, but I do understand why they are doing it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 pm is going to (or can afford to
weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:47 pm ............, i'd rather like the organiser to put us all out of our misery and tell us it's canned, at least then we're not sitting with debates, discussions, what ifs etc, it's then gone, done, sorted.... But i guess they're waiting for being forced to do that as they can then claim any expenses back from the hotel/track etc.
Yep. No business is going to (or can afford to) cancel stuff until the very last moment. And then they will resist any refunds if they can.

I don't like it, but I do understand why they are doing it.
Of course, as do we. If i come out of this losing £580 (half of which was mine and half Mrs Weeksys) then it'll not be the end of the world. But if that's the case, you can bet your arse we're not going next year with No Limits. I guess it depends how they view the actions/consequences there really. I'd be amazed if any of us used them ever again if they did that, we've used them for hundreds of trackdays in the last decade between me and 15 mates.. It really would be the last time we ever did.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

lostboy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 pm I can't even nip over to Gran Canaria currently as we're all locked down for a while. If Portimao is a no show, then I'm definitely going over to Maspalomas...

http://circuitomaspalomas.com/
Would you get out of second on that track? Looks very short and tight!

The go-kart track on the other side of the road looks great fun!
It's longer than it looks. Went to watch once.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

They can't force us onto an alternative event, on an alternative date, so it will be credit or refund. I'm in the same time, same place, next year camp. Hopefully, it will be back to normal by then. 🤞

Flights should be on credit aswel, if there are travel or vaccination restrictions making those dates unless.

We must wait and see I suppose.
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

I had flights MotoGP ticket and Hotels booked for Brno last year, we got full refunds on tickets, Hotels and credit on fligths. I've also had full refunds on all the Gig tickets I can bought for 2020, at first they just adjust the dates of Gigs and after 2nd Lockdown they issued refunds.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

G.P wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm I'm more than happy to let the TDO keep my deposit for the the same event in 2022.

@weeksy The more the merrier for any excursion we do in the summer mate.
Posting just so weeksy knows we are all still keeping an eye on things. ;)

I have already put myself into the "keep my money as deposit for next year" camp if this year doesnt go ahead. I wont be doing the 1700 quid for quarantine thing so i'll either get a credit or lose my deposit because i wont be paying the outstanding balance to limit my losses given the current situation and lack of anything from the TDO.

As for a Scotland trip i am expecting to be too busy to have anything more than a spare couple of days for recreation riding in the summer as i currently have a list of over 80 names and numbers wanting CBT/Renewals as soon as we can open again.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:35 pm
As for a Scotland trip i am expecting to be too busy to have anything more than a spare couple of days for recreation riding in the summer as i currently have a list of over 80 names and numbers wanting CBT/Renewals as soon as we can open again.
Shame. We could do with a translator :P

Weeksy I'm more than happy to postpone Portimao to 2022 if it means we can have a properly good time & enjoy all the facilities without restrictions.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Portugal’s state of emergency is to stay until 1 March. And the lockdown will carry on at least until the end of next month, according to Prime Minister António Costa. He says the situation is extremely serious and it’s "premature" to talk about easing restrictions.