What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Apparently I have diverticulosis,so how do you recognise when it flares up into diverticulitis?
You'll know!

Diverticulitis is characterised by severe localised pain (usually) in the lower left bowel. Put your left hand on your lower abdomen with the fingers a couple of inches above your dick. The pain will be under the palm of your hand - probably.

I'm surprised you know/been told you have diverticulosis/diverticular disease without seeing the doc about the symptoms tbh. I was diagnosed a long time ago after some serious pain and I just aim to keep myself regular by eating lots of fibre and very little fat. I'm not sure what brought this episode on but If the pain had continued or got worse, I'd have phoned for an ambulance. If one of the little pockets (diverticular) that has filled up with shit had gone septic and burst you're into maybe peritonitis - and death.

Eat lots of fibre, you'll be fine!
formula400

Post by formula400 »

For a cheeky peddle in the snow. Had very cold hand spin returning home
Attachments
EE8DD345-D881-44E5-A381-3C6EA30CD503.jpeg
EE8DD345-D881-44E5-A381-3C6EA30CD503.jpeg (167.08 KiB) Viewed 866 times
7632FB23-D148-4FB7-B1FE-D60D111DF2EC.jpeg
7632FB23-D148-4FB7-B1FE-D60D111DF2EC.jpeg (123.49 KiB) Viewed 866 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:42 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Apparently I have diverticulosis,so how do you recognise when it flares up into diverticulitis?
You'll know!

Diverticulitis is characterised by severe localised pain (usually) in the lower left bowel. Put your left hand on your lower abdomen with the fingers a couple of inches above your dick. The pain will be under the palm of your hand - probably.

I'm surprised you know/been told you have diverticulosis/diverticular disease without seeing the doc about the symptoms tbh. I was diagnosed a long time ago after some serious pain and I just aim to keep myself regular by eating lots of fibre and very little fat. I'm not sure what brought this episode on but If the pain had continued or got worse, I'd have phoned for an ambulance. If one of the little pockets (diverticular) that has filled up with shit had gone septic and burst you're into maybe peritonitis - and death.

Eat lots of fibre, you'll be fine!
I found out through the Govts men's health program where they give you a colonoscopy. They noted I had 4 or 5 pockets and gave me a leaflet about diverticulosis which I skim read, binned and promptly forget everything it said! :roll:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

After a few days of trying to sort out two email accounts on my laptop (server details changed, but now laptop won't accept the email settings) I've given up and talked to someone I know here that is a Mac tech!

He was going to do it remotely but I can't download the remote access thing as the OS is too old!! :o Apparently my Macbook hasn't updated for about 3 years :o :o

Anyway, he's going to sort it but - this is a wrench - he needs to keep the laptop for a day or two :o :o :shock: :shock: :wtf:

I don't think I've ever been without it for that long since I go it in 5.5 years!! :lol:

BUT - he's going to give it some much needed TLC. Clear off stuff that shouldn't be there, upgrade the OS, sort out the emails and generally do good :D

AND he said (despite Olly's comments!) that I've got "a fairly good machine" - which, given its nearly 6 years old, I'm quite happy about!! LOL And this is the first time it will have technical tlc in its lifetime!!

I was told that a Windows machine at 9 years old was way better and didn't spazz out with server changes - turns out the 9 year old window machine is basically Triggers Broom!! LOL Whereas my Macbook is original! :lol: :lol:

Always makes me laugh at the division between liking Apple stuff or Windows/Android. My geeky/techy friends that don't like Apple always say things like "but you can't do X, Y or Z with it so what's the point!!"
For me, I don't want to do X, Y or Z and happy that I can't!! Makes it more simple!! LOL

AND - I found a bayonet lightbulb in a shop up here :banana-dance: I've been without one of the main lights since Saturday as the two shops in my bit of resort only have screw ins. Went to another bit of resort today and a friend popped into the shop - so I had a look and damn if they didn't have the bayonet one! I now have my light back!!! :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Finally fixed a generator by robbing parts from another one in worse condition. Tidied the shed, but made the garden messier. That'll be the 200l air receiver and a petrol Belle mixer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:06 pm I found out through the Govts men's health program where they give you a colonoscopy. They noted I had 4 or 5 pockets and gave me a leaflet about diverticulosis which I skim read, binned and promptly forget everything it said! :roll:
This could mean you're full of shit,but I'm not a doctor. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Potter

Post by Potter »

OBO wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:06 pm
Wossname wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm Ummm....does your van have any distinguishing features, so I can give it a wide berth? Easier than getting myself one of those dogs up there ^^.....
Hey if you came to my van you'd be offered a fresh coffee ...unless you've come to inform me I'm on holiday during lockdown. ☺
Do you want to buy a daag?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:06 pm I found out through the Govts men's health program where they give you a colonoscopy.
Where did you think they gave you it before?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bought some of those old fashioned looking LED bulbs for the lamps, which give the living room a lovely warm glow. The wife is impressed with me! 8-)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:47 pm Bought some of those old fashioned looking LED bulbs for the lamps, which give the living room a lovely warm glow. The wife is impressed with me! 8-)
I've got some of them too, although even on minimum dim the phone still makes them look quite bright. I've also got a home made carbon fibre fitting with walnut inlays which you can't really make out in this pic.

Oh, and some holes in my ceiling following emergency plumbing.

the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today I managed to get my wife to work with minimal wheelspins. Snow and ice is melting away. I then had a brief Zoom meeting and went to church to help a family with their funeral arrangements for their 97 old mum who passed on last month. They are happy with the order of service and they chose rather nice music as well! Then had a staff meeting on Zoom. Vicar and I ran 50 metres of cable into the vaulted beams using a 12m long ladder. We can now run two cameras at the front of the Church for live streaming a service and also running the projector. A third camera will be located at the back of the church and be on a tripod to follow any processions for funerals or weddings. This will allow us to stream services during this Covid lockdown and also going forward. Came home and then cooked up a nice lentil cauliflower dish which we had a with very nice glass of Shiraz. Finished my day with a Compline service online.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We had our quarterly 'all hands' meeting on Teams today. They asked for us to appear on camera so that we're not just a bunch of disembodied voices.

I have a wall of guitars behind my desk....CEO clocked this and "Spotlighted" me in front of the whole company of 200 people and (jovially) demanded that I play something. I treated them to the opening bars of Sweet Child O' Mine on the basis that its a tune most people would know :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

A while back I put up a vitual background of a bookshelf, great until someone asked me to get one off the shelf.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

went for an explore, found some frozen stuff, got a bit chilly. was my mates birthday, so he bought some mini Jager :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ImageCycle fun by lewis wilson, on Flickr

and apparently I own a Ice cream farm, who knew :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

CBR650r :mrgreen:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:46 pm We had our quarterly 'all hands' meeting on Teams today. They asked for us to appear on camera so that we're not just a bunch of disembodied voices.

I have a wall of guitars behind my desk....CEO clocked this and "Spotlighted" me in front of the whole company of 200 people and (jovially) demanded that I play something. I treated them to the opening bars of Sweet Child O' Mine on the basis that its a tune most people would know :D
I did something similar, I heard one of our really junior guys was a wizz on the guitar, so I arranged for him to open a group wide video presentation - he was brilliant and it was the first time he’d played to 10,000+ people.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

As the now and ice on my road has melted, i'm going to go into work today. Just a few hours on site, but that should bring me up to date with my workload, but the main reason is I want to see how effective my new handguards are when coupled with my heated grips! :banana-wrench:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Went sailing to cheer my daughter up who was feeling a bit down in the dumps.
Just as we got out of the sight of land these chaps turned up and put a big smile on her face, especially the baby chasing the boat and playing...
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

cheb wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:47 pm Helped ruin the peace and quiet of a Hebridean beach at 0915 this morning and had a 1TEU ISO container placed where it needs to be, finally after about a month of waiting. Tomorrow I get to unload said ISO container of the treasures it contains. The sooner I do that the sooner I get my shed back.
And what were said treasures?
cheb

Post by cheb »

A 3" petrol powered water pump, an AEG 18v drill needing a battery, (ordered already), a Bosch 18v drill, two wheelbarrow wheels, a couple of big sodium lamps and a cordless vacuum cleaner.

Some will go on Ebay, some will be punted on locally and some will upgrade my workshop tooling.

Edit: The above are today's treasures. The ISO had enough parts to make a working air compressor, as big as will run on a 13A supply with a 200l receiver, the bladder from an IBC*, a small roller shutter door, some windscreen crates made of useful timber, a petrol powered Belle cement mixer, half a dozen big plastic crates and some old 3" diameter mooring ropes from the ferry.

IBC = Intermediate bulk container. They are about 1m cubed and very useful.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had loads of rain in January which fills the normally dry river behind our villa. When it's high it bursts through the sandbank to get to the sea.
When it's calmed down, the opposite happens at high tide and waves brake into the pool that's left.

I often go there half hour before high tide and watch the waves slowly go over.

Took the missus today and she loved the peaceful, silent hour.
So she took me for a couple of beers in the sun.

She dropped me home on way to her yoga class and I feel tipsy on 2 beers after a month off.

Well, it's still sunny so the beer fridge was shouting and I had to answer. Burp.

A couple more and I'll be set for a late afternoon nap.

Burp...