Honda CRF300 Rally ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

Honda CRF300 Rally ?

Post by Yorick »

A pal here is contemplating getting one. Any comment on them?

He's a few years older than me and wants to get away from the hard enduro and just do gentle trails .

Waddya reckon?
Asian Boss

Re: Honda CRF300 Rally ?

Post by Asian Boss »

I like the look of them. I'm sure Couchy was saying good things about them .
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Unless he has a need for a huge fuel tank and a fairing he'd be better off with a normal CRF, but both the normal CRF and the Rally have way better suspension than the IT175 I used to ride in Enduros.
Honda Owner
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Someone I know of on this ere forum reckons 450 is the minimum 4 stroke really. He also says his pal just bought a new KTM Freeride 250 4t and instantly hates it as gutless...
The CRF Rally has roughly the same power as the Freeride but is approx 50 kilos heavier, so if it's the same pal you're talking about, I reckon he might be disappointed :)

In all seriousness though, if he's anyone else , for green-laning, a CRF (230, 250 or 300 ) will be a good choice IMO - I haven't ridden the 300, but have a 250 and 230
I didn't particularly like either but that's just me - they are both decent bikes for green (or brown ;) ) laning, just a bit porky for me.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I've got a 250 rally, the 300 is just an update and I've got one on order.

If he wants a fast wheelie popping lightweight enduro this isn't it. It's a lightweight adventure bike or a heavy off road bike. Mine has been on every green lane in the peaks with proper tyres on, but it can be hard work and I have been riding off road all my life. On your island I don't think I'd have one but here with lots of tarmac and cold weather I like the comfort, tank range and heated grips :) If he accepts it is a trail bike he'll be fine.

If you think your off road bike is the equivalent of a TZ250 race bike then the CRF is a CB500, it can be made to do stuff the competition bikes can but it isn't onw of them :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 pm I've got a 250 rally, the 300 is just an update and I've got one on order.

If he wants a fast wheelie popping lightweight enduro this isn't it. It's a lightweight adventure bike or a heavy off road bike. Mine has been on every green lane in the peaks with proper tyres on, but it can be hard work and I have been riding off road all my life. On your island I don't think I'd have one but here with lots of tarmac and cold weather I like the comfort, tank range and heated grips :) If he accepts it is a trail bike he'll be fine.

If you think your off road bike is the equivalent of a TZ250 race bike then the CRF is a CB500, it can be made to do stuff the competition bikes can but it isn't onw of them :)
He's had a 250 2t Freeride for a few years and done the tricky stuff.
Now he just wants to tour the other islands on dirt roads. I'm hoping he invites me along ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The old bugger bought it anyway :D

Now has 7 bikes here and 2 in the uk :D
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm The old bugger bought it anyway :D

Is the insurance on the island the same as the mainland? The cost of insuring 7 bikes for me here is the same as a decent secondhand bike. I insured 11 bikes (including 3 over 1100cc) in the UK for less than I insure my Street Triple here.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:43 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm The old bugger bought it anyway :D

Is the insurance on the island the same as the mainland? The cost of insuring 7 bikes for me here is the same as a decent secondhand bike. I insured 11 bikes (including 3 over 1100cc) in the UK for less than I insure my Street Triple here.
Each bike insured separately. Same as all mine :(

But tax is only about 7€ a year.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

It really pisses me off paying so much insurance for my three bikes here (as well as my car). But then I can ride them all year round, as no ice, snow or salty shit on the roads.

Swings and roundabouts
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Couchy wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 pm I've got a 250 rally, the 300 is just an update and I've got one on order.

How soon will you get it? Do you know if it is possible to get a new one now, or fairly soon? I'm thinking one of these could be the answer for me, partly because I want to be able to get it out of the garage and past my car without moving it and the 300 Rally is slimmer than a bigger bike.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Never turned up so I cancelled, apparently still a waiting time of several months.
I’d buy one tomorrow if I could walk in and take away but I won’t order and wait again. It’s a bike and should be there to buy when you want it.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

They have their own gravitational field.
There is no reason for them to weigh what they do.
They are ok off road BUT you're hauling the equivalent of a 701 around with super soft budget suspension.
23bhp is just daft and on road they struggle.
Stick Trackers on there and the handling improves over what Honda fit from the factory.
Two of these went to Everest Base Camp and didn't miss a beat as they are a Honda but based on a very old engine design that has been down-tuned to the point most 125 Enduro's are a much better prospect.
The OH put 1k miles on hers from new but very, very quickly found it lacking in capabilities in her first year of riding.

There are currently two 250's and a 300 for sale on UKGSER at the moment if you're a member.