What motorbike things would you like to do if things ever return to normal?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

What motorbike things would you like to do if things ever return to normal?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'm currently thinking of riding down to Portugal and back and taking my time doing it, staying in hotels because I can't be arsed with camping, probably won't happen as I won't find the time to do it.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What motorbike things would you like to do if things ever return to normal?

Post by weeksy »

I'd like to take Mrs Weeksy to Spa. In the ideal world we'd do it as a tour type trip, but with our lad too it's not that viable. But it's something we've discussed for this year as it won't involve flights.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

There's about 20 of us wanting to go to Portugal ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm going to Lake Balaton.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I fancy a big US trip, but the cost is eye-watering so I will probably not do it. (Correction, Mrs CJ may not permit it)

The Iberian peninsula is somewhere I have not been on a bike, so something like your trip sounds good. Like you I CBA with camping, got that T shirt and don't need another one.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Go to the (open) shops..
Sunday morning ride out ....

Go to P&H at Crawley and get ignored by all the staff
Potter

Post by Potter »

Every year when we come back in the summer, me and my lad ride from our house to Devils Bridge, strip off to our underpants and dive into the river. We have a swim until we've had enough, then dry out on the grass and ride home via the pub for a dinner.

We've been doing that for about ten years but last year we couldn't for obvious reasons. I'd be really happy if we could do it again this year, and now he's 17 he'll be on his own bike.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 am I'd like to take Mrs Weeksy to Spa. In the ideal world we'd do it as a tour type trip, but with our lad too it's not that viable. But it's something we've discussed for this year as it won't involve flights.
My first ever time abroad was going to the Spa 24 hour bike race in 1985 on a 250LC, which sounds really impressive until you realise that for me Donington was more miles on the bike, it was 20 miles to Felixstowe and about 90 miles in Belgium, sadly the Felixstowe to Zeebrugge ferry stopped running 30 years ago and now I go either via the Hook (expensive and slow) or via the Channel Tunnel (a lot more motorway miles)

Edit: I just checked the mileage from Zeebrugge to Spa, it's actually 160 miles, so still not far but twice as far as I remember it being. The Hook to Spa is only 20 miles more, and Calais to Spa is 213
Last edited by Le_Fromage_Grande on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Owner
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Right now, simple things like just going for a ride to Rye harbour for fish and chips with mates and the girlfriend. Even a boring ride around the M25 to Ryka's is very appealing just now and maybe even a boring ride to the Epping Forest tea hut to meet up with folk.

I've a couple of Hopp Rider Training days booked, one of them on 1st April - I'd like to be able to do that but it's looking very unlikely.

Commuting to the office.

Simple stuff really.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 am or via the Channel Tunnel (a lot more motorway miles)
Yeah it's a bit of motorway, but if we do it we'd do in the van so makes no real difference.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

https://www.motogiroitalia.it/en/route-2021/

I think it's approx 1700 kms - essentially a time trial for older, typically Italian bikes. It's over 6 days, you're not meant to go fast, plenty of time for eating, drinking, spanner twirling. I think breaking down on shit bikes and mending them with twine is part of the fun.

I doubt it will happen this year (again) but pencil me in for 2022. I'd be doing the Turistica class I reckon - it'll be a shonker, but not a vintage Italian shonker.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 am Right now, simple things like just going for a ride to Rye harbour for fish and chips with mates and the girlfriend. Even a boring ride around the M25 to Ryka's is very appealing just now and maybe even a boring ride to the Epping Forest tea hut to meet up with folk.

I've a couple of Hopp Rider Training days booked, one of them on 1st April - I'd like to be able to do that but it's looking very unlikely.

Commuting to the office.

Simple stuff really.
we will get a TRC meet-up organised for after Freedom. I am waiting to see if the Hummingbird Cafe at Shoreham Airport re-opens as it has a good reputation - and was a haunt for the Sussex DOG.

That could then lead to a Rykas / Newland Corner/ A29 over Bury Hill to Bogner (for Weeksy), Hummingbird at Shoreham - and then Birling Gap and Beachy Head.

I realise that is a bit useless if you live in Cleckheaton - but there you go ...
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Just riding to see family and friends in Wales and France that we haven't seen for seems like an age, taking in almost the full length of the A5 to see my mums cousin on Anglesey whilst she's still on this earth will be extra special 🤞
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I’d like to do the NC500 around Scotland (with Mrs M but apparently the dogs have to come with us). That and trips to Rye and the fish shop by the bridge.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 am I'm currently thinking of riding down to Portugal and back and taking my time doing it, staying in hotels because I can't be arsed with camping, probably won't happen as I won't find the time to do it.
I'd like to do something like that, and hopefully will.

I'd like to get back on my Dad's collection of classics - he's way too feeble to ride now (even if he ever did recover his balance after the stroke), so they're all sitting there doing nothing. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:31 am I’d like to do the NC500 around Scotland (with Mrs M but apparently the dogs have to come with us). That and trips to Rye and the fish shop by the bridge.
I had the intention of doing that in a car about 2 years ago - it is a very long way up, it takes bleeding ages, neither of which is too much problem. But it rains - forever. We gave up after 8 days of continuous rain - it took 13 hours to drive back. In glorious sunshine.

If you do it , book accommodation well ahead - places like Kylesku are booked up many months in advance.... and don't go when there are midgies about, I grew up in Scotland
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:58 am https://www.motogiroitalia.it/en/route-2021/

I think it's approx 1700 kms - essentially a time trial for older, typically Italian bikes. It's over 6 days, you're not meant to go fast, plenty of time for eating, drinking, spanner twirling. I think breaking down on shit bikes and mending them with twine is part of the fun.

I doubt it will happen this year (again) but pencil me in for 2022. I'd be doing the Turistica class I reckon - it'll be a shonker, but not a vintage Italian shonker.
{Deity}, I'd love to do that.

(The bikes would need a good fettling first though!)
Last edited by Rockburner on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 am
Beancounter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 am Right now, simple things like just going for a ride to Rye harbour for fish and chips with mates and the girlfriend. Even a boring ride around the M25 to Ryka's is very appealing just now and maybe even a boring ride to the Epping Forest tea hut to meet up with folk.

Commuting to the office.

Simple stuff really.
we will get a TRC meet-up organised for after Freedom. I am waiting to see if the Hummingbird Cafe at Shoreham Airport re-opens as it has a good reputation - and was a haunt for the Sussex DOG.

That could then lead to a Rykas / Newland Corner/ A29 over Bury Hill to Bogner (for Weeksy), Hummingbird at Shoreham - and then Birling Gap and Beachy Head.

I realise that is a bit useless if you live in Cleckheaton - but there you go ...
There's far better roads on that route than the A29.

(although I agree that Bury Hill is a fun climb. :D )
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:48 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 am

Commuting to the office.

Simple stuff really.

There's far better roads on that route than the A29.

(although I agree that Bury Hill is a fun climb. :D )
The A29, in fast and get you there. Bury Hill is fun. But send me the other roads ( please) :thumbup:
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

A proper old school bike rally - Rock N Blues or somesuch.