What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Skub

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Skub »

David wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:31 pm
If they are that good, why don't they go on their own?
If I don't wash them for a few days,they do and they're hard to catch...
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I took some Bakewell Slice over to some friends in another village. They've just got back to 'open' their bar for the Feb holidays. So I swapped cake for a takeaway Hot Choc and a distanced chat outside in the cold!!!

Then, to distract myself from the rugby (I tend to mostly just listen when I'm on my own anyway) I took the zip out of a hoodie. I'd put it in so I could wear the hoodie but it broke last week so I took it out today ready to replace it tomorrow. And made plans to cut the hood off as well as it's designed to go over a ski helmet and I don't wear a hood up when skiing :lol: I can use the material to make a 'kindle pocket' on the inside :D

Totally mistimed things as need to go to the garage I store a few things in to find a bulb to replace the one that has died. Thought I could go after the rugby as it's only a couple of minutes away. But the rugby finished after 18:00 so I'll have to go find the bulb tomorrow!!

Must do some French homework tomorrow ready for my lesson in the afternoon :D And some extra physio since he's still not back at work :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Oil/filter change on the Camaro, then sat at the airfield for a while watching 8x T6's do their annual flour bombing competition.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Built a fence for old pallets, sorted some rubbish for a tip run, dug out some old fish farm nets, looked at some possibly unexploded ordnance, checked out a flare sighting, looked at more possibly unexploded ordnance and failed to flash a generator's innards.

Tomorrow other people will make some bangs with the things I looked at.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Thought about selling my DeLoren as i only use it from time to time...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:59 pm Thought about selling my DeLoren as i only use it from time to time...
Saw this yesterday - so nearly bought it !!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I just walked for an hour up a mountain!! :o Well, I expect I walked for more like 40-45 mins!! The rest of the time was spent 'admiring the view' = taking photos and catching my breath!!

Bloody hell it's gorgeous out there!! Need more clear mornings to do more of this. But damn I feel good (I'm aching, but it's a good ache!). Skied back down and was home by about 8:35. (Stopped to get bread on the way back too)

I do love living here!!

Oh, I also put music on when I got back - first time in weeks :o I didn't realise I'd stopped listening to music. But this is a good morning - listening to some really good Rockabilly! :D :D

Also, I ate my porridge by using my right hand to use the spoon - that is a FIRST for 3.5 YEARS :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Here's hoping today continues to be a good day !! :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:

Gratuitous mountain shots!! Phone doesn't show the depth of colour or that the orangey/pink bits on the mountains was actually pink. Did need to leave a bit earlier really, but I wasn't feeling the love when I got up to go. Next time it's forecast to be a good morning, I'll haul ass earlier!! :D :D

Plagne Centre before actual sunrise

Plagne Centre before actual sunrise

Looking across to Aime 2000

Mont Blanc getting a little bit of pink in the sunrise!!

For anyone that knows La Plagne, I stopped walking when I got a bit above La Bergerie Restaurant. Normally I go the other (flatter) side and finish at the top of the Bergerie lift. Today I wanted to test going on the steep bits :D

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Boiler kicked out twice lately witha f23 code. It reset so I didn't worry about it even though we have boiler insurance. This morning it was dripping water from the DHW return valve and the pressure was a bit higher than normal. So, I thought i wont wait for it to break and get a call logged as it'll probably be days before we get a response. Took me an hour to find a number for the service agent which is arranged through EDF! :roll:

Anyway, call logged and a promise of a seeing someone today. Given the weather and road conditions I was pleased, to say the least, that the engineer Bloke was here 20 minutes later! :shock: Said its fine to use as it is, just keep an eye on the pressure gauge and shut it off for an hour if it gets high blah blah and he'll be back tomorrow with some new parts. :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I had a couple of Zoom meetings this morning. Spent time with my daughter who is feeling a bit "down". Just remote school is shit and she misses her friends and face to face interaction. I'm just checking train times as I have an appointment for my hand in Guy's Hospital this afternoon, only a year late, but hey ho. Snapped tendons have left me with a very crooked middle finger. I can use a clutch, but I cannot straighten it or play guitar. Be glad to find out if they can fix it or whether I just have to live with it as is and sell the guitar. 3pm appt and trains are running thankfully! Railway line is right next to my house, so i know I can get there and back! Later this evening I'll lead a 9pm service of Compline via Zoom.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Today my neighbours dog saw me and decided she'd come over and say hello, dragging my neighbour behind her! :lol: She then decided to nudge me with her bucket sized head (dog not the neighbour). Ouch, that made my eyes water. Beautiful dog, but so strong! Its a BoerBoel, or South African Mastiff.

Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

That’s doesn’t look like the sort of dog to get on the wrong side of....
Skub

Post by Skub »

That's a weaponised dog. If it turns bad,it'll have ya!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

My brother had a couple of those.... One did hospitalise a person who rather erroneously got between the hound and my brothers daughter. He was repeatedly warned beforehand to avoid doing that as the doggie was very protective. Much munching ensued and a quick trip to the people vet was required! This was in SA some few years ago now.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Helped ruin the peace and quiet of a Hebridean beach at 0915 this morning and had a 1TEU ISO container placed where it needs to be, finally after about a month of waiting. Tomorrow I get to unload said ISO container of the treasures it contains. The sooner I do that the sooner I get my shed back.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cooked my first stir fry today, dunno if I got lucky but I just threw random amounts of oriental stuff in and it came out great. That was easy so I'll be doing that again.
OBO

Post by OBO »

Wossname wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:01 pm
OBO wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm
I wish..decided to spend a few years living in a motorhome exploring the Uk then the china virus arrived so we're confined to Devon/Cornwall area...could be worse! :1
Do you get much grief for being down here in a MH?
Yup, almost daily since covid started...one 30yr old bastard repeatedly threatened to beat me up, I'm 67yrs.
Eventually he threatened me once too often, he went to hospital and I went to a jail cell for a full 24hrs (god it stank in there, must be why they are called the "filth" 😷)....followed by a 2 month suspended prison sentence for assault even though I had a 100% clean police record!

A man is no longer allowed to stand up for himself in this fucked up country ffs!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Ummm....does your van have any distinguishing features, so I can give it a wide berth? Easier than getting myself one of those dogs up there ^^.....
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

On Sunday I happened upon a nasty bout of diverticulitis, not having been troubled with it for a few years so i dosed myself up with some magnesium citrate and didn't do much else. Yesterday it was still there but better so I went to the market and along with the usual fruit and veg bought some dried apricots. Together with the magnesium citrate should work wonders for the bowels. :P

This morning just a little twinge but pretty much gone :thumbup: so set to with a bit of wood butchering. I then had a couple of deliveries from internet shopping, one of which was the door catch for the new helm seat I'm making for the boat. This is a bonus as I wasn't expecting it this week. Stopped butchering one bit of wood and started on the door the catch will be fitted to. The door is 18 mm plywood but I could only get a catch for 16 mm thickness so with the router I removed a bit of wood from the inside of the door where the catch was to fit, drilled a hole and voila - door finished. Except it wasn't. I had to fettle a bit where the latch itself is going to sit inside but a bit of chiseling and it's done. I've even found a bit of brass to make a keeper plate. :banana-dance:

I removed all the hardware, stuck a bit of dowel in a hole where I'd used a shorted dowel when putting things together and it's all ready for tomorrow when I'll sand it smooth and slap a load of filler on it. It'll be finished this time next week - cos it's going to be sanded again, epoxied, get 2 coats of epoxy barrier coat and two coats of paint (so that's 5 days) but I'm happy.

Love it when a plan comes together! :D
OBO

Post by OBO »

Wossname wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm Ummm....does your van have any distinguishing features, so I can give it a wide berth? Easier than getting myself one of those dogs up there ^^.....
Hey if you came to my van you'd be offered a fresh coffee ...unless you've come to inform me I'm on holiday during lockdown. ☺
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:19 pm On Sunday I happened upon a nasty bout of diverticulitis, not having been troubled with it for a few years so i dosed myself up with some magnesium citrate and didn't do much else. Yesterday it was still there but better so I went to the market and along with the usual fruit and veg bought some dried apricots. Together with the magnesium citrate should work wonders for the bowels. :P
Apparently I have diverticulosis,so how do you recognise when it flares up into diverticulitis?