HD stock drops 19%....

Anything you like about motorbikes
Asian Boss

Re: HD stock drops 19%....

Post by Asian Boss »

I'd love a vintage Harley. Something 1930s or 40s like a Knucklehead or Panhead. Nice ones are not cheap though. :(

Back when I were on t'mags, the ones they were launching at the time handled well IMO. Much better than the Japanese upright retro type bikes of the day.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Harley Thread and no Mr Longbeard? :think: :eh:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Sorry, not Mr Longbeard, but both me and my daughter have Harley Davidson's. Mine is a 1200 Roadster and hers is a really nice 883 Iron. Having owned more bikes than I can count: Japanese, European and British, this is the first bike I've been really settled with. Yes it's big, heavy and agricultural, but it feels like a proper bike. I've had more people stop me to talk about this bike and be complimentary than any bike I've owned. It's sad and wrong that HD keep cocking things up. They are out of touch with the next generation and have lost their way again. But I and countless others like them. I hope they survive, but they have to change their approach. Let the taunting begin.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Buckaroo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 pm Sorry, not Mr Longbeard, but both me and my daughter have Harley Davidson's. Mine is a 1200 Roadster and hers is a really nice 883 Iron. Having owned more bikes than I can count: Japanese, European and British, this is the first bike I've been really settled with. Yes it's big, heavy and agricultural, but it feels like a proper bike. I've had more people stop me to talk about this bike and be complimentary than any bike I've owned. It's sad and wrong that HD keep cocking things up. They are out of touch with the next generation and have lost their way again. But I and countless others like them. I hope they survive, but they have to change their approach. Let the taunting begin.
They're not my cup of tea but I totally get why you like them.
Unfortunately the majority of consumers seem to go for the mainstream Mondeo type bikes, maybe because they're more of an all-rounder.

For a bike manufacturer to survive they need volume sales.
I don't know how HD can maintain their niche and survive without a huge downscale or a change of motorcycle fashions.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Buckaroo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 pmbut they have to change their approach.
Any idea 'to what'?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:02 am
Buckaroo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:24 pmbut they have to change their approach.
Any idea 'to what'?
I bought a Roadster because of it's Euro styling. Upside down forks, twin front discs and high, for Harley, seat height. I'm on one of the largest HD forum and the general view is they were wrong to drop the sportster range and the 750 size entry level bike. These are the gateway bikes into Harley Davidson ownership. They should have looked to upgrade the engineering to meet the new emissions. My 1200 is a surprisingly good ride. Yes it's heavy, but on the move it's much better than the usual stories about HD handling suggests.

Now for younger riders, it's either 2nd hand, expensive, or new, very expensive.

They will become / remain the play thing of the very group that has a short time span of ownership and not attract younger riders to the brand. They almost need a loss leader, just as many businesses have. Get you hooked.

Harley Davidson don't need to change their ethos, just make the effort to engage with the biking audience in a genuine open manner, rather than guess what they want or get feedback from a captive audience, as in USA based, older, Harley owners.

Not sure I have fully answered your question, but this is what I think.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

What they need is even sillier names than Fatbob and Bad Boy.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Taipan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:23 pm Harley Thread and no Mr Longbeard? :think: :eh:
Guessing you must have missed it but he flounced ( I think he did anyway, rather than getting banned or anything like that) after a disagreement with Weeksy over something he posted in one of the US politics threads
Skub

Post by Skub »

Tricky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 am
Taipan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:23 pm Harley Thread and no Mr Longbeard? :think: :eh:
Guessing you must have missed it but he flounced ( I think he did anyway, rather than getting banned or anything like that) after a disagreement with Weeksy over something he posted in one of the US politics threads
Recently? His last post was a week ago.

I don't bother much with the politic stuff,so may have missed the action.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Ah didn't realise that- his leaving was last year, on the run-up to the US elections IIRC- admittedly am not on here every day but hadn't seen him posting since then so assumed he'd gone for good- by the sound of it he hopefully hasn't though :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Tricky wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 am
Don't recall it but suspect/hope he'll be back as he never struck me as thin skinned...
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 pm Those Harley's they cost so much money,
A Honda is all he could buy,
He covers it up on his car port,
If anyone saw it he'd die.

:(

As I'm getting older, I'm gradually morphing into DAC.....

Anyway, Harley's biggest problem is that they're asking silly money for something that, quite honestly, isn't really that good, I get the whole "scene" thing, but if you want people to keep buying into it, you have to make it attractive to new blood. There's absolutely nothing to attract new riders to them, most of whom couldn't afford to buy them anyway.

My lad is the youngest Harley rider I know but for what he paid for it, he could have bought something like a VN1500 and had enough left over for a car for wet days.