New Bike!!

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New Bike!!

Post by weeksy »

This may sound harsh as it's someones new toy, but i'm not seeing a single endearing feature about it, there's not a single thing i think "yeah cool". Sorry but it couldn't be less for me if it were a C90.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

What about the continental gt or the Himalayan. Bit different. Look nice next to the xsr. 😉
Yamaha rocket 3
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 am This may sound harsh as it's someones new toy, but i'm not seeing a single endearing feature about it, there's not a single thing i think "yeah cool". Sorry but it couldn't be less for me if it were a C90.
Like I said, I get it, twenty years ago I'd have laughed out loud if you'd given me one as a present, but today it just fits nicely with where I want to be.

I'm not offended if people don't like it, I didn't make it, I just feel like it's nice to step back to a more basic form of the hobby.
I also think it looks really nice in the flesh, but then I'm into classic bikes, so it's no surprise.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I'm on the same bus as Weeksy on this one.
I love the scrambler styled one earlier in the thread, and could conceivably see myself on one- the Continental GT I can sort of also see as I think they've done a reasonable styling job, but the Interceptor, just doesn't appeal to me despite exactly the same bike, just in a different frock.
The RE twins are pretty bland bikes to ride IMO, so it has to excite me looks-wise, and I just think the sort of old but definitely not old styling is a bit naff, I would honestly take a Bullet (a RE Bullet I mean :) ) over either of them.

But that's irrelevant, one man's meat etc, and I love it that you've got one, as Skub says, sounds like it was meant to be, it's another different bike on the forum, and will be interested to hear how you get on with it :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I bought my Guzzi V7 over the 650 Enfield (despite already being a Bullet owner) as the Guzzi felt a bit less bland.

I've said it before, the 650 is a very accomplished bike, just as capable as anything the Nips knock out. If anything it's too good, needs some flaws to give it character.

Saying all that, I'd still have one if given, but I'd be doing the street scrambler conversion like the one earlier, it's proper mint!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I reckon the one Couchy has is the one to have. Love that pic he has at of him at Cadwell.

I'd get one, except as you all know I have the bike it's pretending to be already :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd pick the Inty over the Conti every time.

The Bullet looks better in Conti trim.

...and I'd have a proper 250 Conti over all of them.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Right, sv650 springs new oil and preload adjusters in the forks, hagon +20 mm shocks. Dna air filter and proper exhausts. Throw the tyres in the bin and put 110/140 roadsmarts on. It'll transform the bike massively 👍
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

It got me looking at the Himalayan again. Christ, they're cheap. And slow I suspect. But I'm tempted. God knows what I'd do with one though.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't see the bland thing (but I haven't ridden it yet).
Part of the attraction is the way it looks and part of it is the lack of complications, it's pretty basic and a hark back to a more simple way to enjoy riding around on two wheels.

My expectations are that it will not be the best suspension, the fastest engine, the best handling or the most up to date technology.
It's going to have to be really bad to disappoint me.

I like my old classic bikes, my Landrover and my old yacht, and on paper they're not the best either, so maybe I just like old fashioned stuff.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It's only old fashion in the way it looks.

It goes, handles and stops as well as a CB500, SV650 or any other shopping bike :)

You'll see when you ride it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am It's only old fashion in the way it looks.

It goes, handles and stops as well as a CB500, SV650 or any other shopping bike :)

It looks like a 1960's twin but with all the reliability and ride quality of a modern bike - I'll use it when I don't want to use my real classics then :lol:

Btw, I secretly really like the SV650 but I don't want my friends to think I'm gay :oops:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 am Btw, I secretly really like the SV650 but I don't want my friends to think I'm gay :oops:
...or a girl, or poor.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 am
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am It's only old fashion in the way it looks.

It looks like a 1960's twin but with all the reliability and ride quality of a modern bike - I'll use it when I don't want to use my real classics then :lol:

Btw, I secretly really like the SV650 but I don't want my friends to think I'm gay :oops:
Pass him the hat.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Potter

Post by Potter »

Lol, yes, it is a bit of a pussy cat. I thought it might be a bit more rough around the edges, but it's no 1938 speed twin, it feels more like a CB500.
But fair play, they built something that is at least as good as the Jap sensible commuter bikes.

It handles very neutrally, the brakes work as you would expect, the speed and power delivery is steady and linear, the gearbox is very slick, no issues with neutral at the traffic lights and it doesn't vibrate at all. It's very quiet, too quiet really, I pulled up at the lights next to a factory Aprillia V4 and his bike drowned out my exhaust noise by some margin - he did look over and say "Nice bike" though 8-) .
My neighbour gave me a big thumbs up too.

It's almost exactly what I expected, just a bit quieter, a bit more refined and more smooth - and yes, you could sum that up as bland.
Except that it's loads of fun riding it and it makes you grin a lot - that's what all the Youtube reports say too. It's a very easy bike to ride, it feels very stable, the ergonomics are very easy on the human body and it just feels nice to ride for no particular reason than it's just really nice to ride and easy to enjoy.

The riding position is smashing, I got off without a sore back or squashed balls.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Oh and the new bike smell is the best I've ever had, the paint, the oil, etc.
Volatile organic compounds (that's the smell) are oozing out of it and it pinged really nicely while it was cooling down.
I wish I could bottle that smell.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm Oh and the new bike smell is the best I've ever had, the paint, the oil, etc.
Volatile organic compounds (that's the smell) are oozing out of it and it pinged really nicely while it was cooling down.
I wish I could bottle that smell.
I wish you, me, anyone could bottle that smell!! It's LUSH!! :D

Bloody glad you liked it. Sounds awesome :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I would guess the thumbs up and smiles would come from those who think, with the overall look and chrome tank etc, its a classic bike. Even i will have a look at a classic as it goes past. If i saw one of them coming then it would catch the eye and then "ah, its a brand new lookalike" with modern brakes, suspension and electrics.

I couldnt see one in my own garage but each to their own.

For @Asian Boss the Himalayan you mentioned are really slow as you suspected with a 25 BHP 400cc. One of my fellow Instructors has one and its ideal for pottering round behind CBT students but he went out and tacked onto a DAS ride with a young lad who has raced as a kid and can ride a bit and he had to work it to keep up with an enthusiastically ridden 600 Bandit mainly lacking power away from standing starts and out of bends
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 pm I would guess the thumbs up and smiles would come from those who think, with the overall look and chrome tank etc, its a classic bike. Even i will have a look at a classic as it goes past. If i saw one of them coming then it would catch the eye and then "ah, its a brand new lookalike" with modern brakes, suspension and electrics.
I've always said the same i.e. if I want a classic bike then I'll buy one (and I did, a 1930's classic) - but they do come with a whole load of work and if you're not a half competent mechanic then you'll wish you hadn't bought one. This is an accessible way for the average punter to ride something that looks similar but has all the reliability and manners of something new (edited...and it's ridiculously cheap (relatively)).

On paper I've previously turned my nose up as well, but seeing it in the flesh and after riding one I think the majority change their mind - watch the YouTube reviews. Of course, if you don't like it then you don't like it, it's not a bike that will totally turn your head, but if you sort of like it then it has the capability to pull you all the way in.

I suspect this might not be a long-term keeper, it's a very functional thing and it's serving a purpose that meets my needs, I like it a lot for now and it's fun, but perhaps not something I'd personally keep long term (as in years) because although it has some character it doesn't have enough to sit amongst the other bikes that I am keeping, but that's a hard party to get into, the £20k MV limited edition that I had flown in didn't get an invite to stay either.

That being said, I think RE deserve a massive amount of praise for these new generation bikes. The overall package for the money knocks the socks off anything else that is close. I could pay a grand and a half more and get a CB500X and it would be more expensive, more bland and not look as good, IMHO.

I've noticed a lot of guests look at this forum, possibly for bike reviews, so if you're one of those people and you're reading this, and you fancy a RE Interceptor, then you'll be very happy if you buy one. It perhaps won't appeal to the race rep crowd, or the people that want blood stirring Panigale style power or even the GS/Multi crowd who want 150bhp in an expensive and modern adventure bike - but if that was you then you wouldn't be looking at buying a RE Interceptor.

The only faults I can really come up with is that it's not a real classic, so that means it doesn't leak oil, it doesn't break down, it rides well, the ignition and engine gives you linear power that make it easy to ride anywhere, the clutch is light and the gearbox is Japanese like, it doesn't shake your fillings out and you're reasonably sure when you set out that it will get you home again.
So yeah, it's a bit bland and it doesn't stir the blood like riding my 1930's bike does, but you don't get that for free, it's a lot of work to keep one on the road.
Last edited by Potter on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.