What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Post by KungFooBob »

I think I'm going to move the Guzzi on.

I still really want a GSXR1100, but I've started looking at stuff capable of doing trackdays.

With very little racing last year and nothing planned for this year I still need to scratch that itch... but that means a new car/trailer too.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I can see our ZX6R being here till then end of the year, but i can also see it being moved on at the end of the year and into the new season next year... But as to what it will be changed into i honestly have no clue at all. If you recall the other thread we had and discussed it in depth, we really struggled to find the middle ground between the 110bhp ZX6R and the 200bhp 1000s. Ideally we'd like something modern, with 140bhp and full electronics.... But as of yet, i'm still struggling to find it.

The XSR900 well, that's going nowhere apart from out to play, i'm not going as far as a 'keeper' but it's deffo winning my battle of 'should i sell this' and not giving me any cause to even have thoughts on those lines.
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

The thoughts of V4r are constantly in my head at the mo, doesn't mean I'm going to get one though 😉
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I could probably scrape about £5.5k together to buy a bike if I sold the Guzzi and raided the piggy bank, I'd like something for track use, but not just track use. A 600 Super Sport would makes most sense, but I'd like something a little more quirky.

2nd hand 790's seem stupidly cheap.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 am I could probably scrape about £5.5k together to buy a bike if I sold the Guzzi and raided the piggy bank, I'd like something for track use, but not just track use. A 600 Super Sport would makes most sense, but I'd like something a little more quirky.

2nd hand 790's seem stupidly cheap.
The 790 was a cracking little track bike i have to say. Right mix of electronics, geometry, performance and handling. It really didn't need anything at all for it to go well. You could argue i guess it was a little slower than the 600SS equivalent, but really not by a lot...
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 am The 790 was a cracking little track bike i have to say. Right mix of electronics, geometry, performance and handling. It really didn't need anything at all for it to go well. You could argue i guess it was a little slower than the 600SS equivalent, but really not by a lot...
I've just been reading this, holy crap!

https://www.790dukeforum.com/threads/pr ... 790d.1902/

I know that people moaning on the tinternet only makes up a small part of total owners, but a read of that would instantly put anyone off buying one!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 am The 790 was a cracking little track bike i have to say. Right mix of electronics, geometry, performance and handling. It really didn't need anything at all for it to go well. You could argue i guess it was a little slower than the 600SS equivalent, but really not by a lot...

I know that people moaning on the tinternet only makes up a small part of total owners, but a read of that would instantly put anyone off buying one!
Why do you think i don't own one now ? I had 4 of them issues in 1400 miles on the one i bought :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I guess that's why there's so many 2nd hand ones with bugger all mileage for not a lot of money.

It's the Motorcycling equivalent of an Alfa Romeo.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:13 pm I guess that's why there's so many 2nd hand ones with bugger all mileage for not a lot of money.

Well put it this way, i wouldn't personally buy one out of warranty. I was looking when buying the XSR900 and anything that was more than 6 months old was dismissed.
Skub

Post by Skub »

That's horrendous.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:13 pm I guess that's why there's so many 2nd hand ones with bugger all mileage for not a lot of money.

Well put it this way, i wouldn't personally buy one out of warranty. I was looking when buying the XSR900 and anything that was more than 6 months old was dismissed.
That is sub- buell reliability :o
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm

That is sub- buell reliability :o
Nah, think of it as an old Brit bike... They still work... They just drip various fluids mostly :)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

As an ex-Alfa owner, I can confirm that the 790 really isn't that bad (what is :lol: ), in my experience at least
Yup, they do seem to have more than their fair share of " bugs" that should have been ironed out- it could be argued that the majority, if not all of the issues are relatively minor, but they are still there and don't really seem to have been addressed with any success in the now 3 years it's been available.
Such a shame as it's a quite brilliant bike IMO, really re-defined the perfect power/weight balance for me, can be a pretty decent tourer too if you don't want to carry a passenger, but overall, just fun fun fun.

Which is why despite it's obvious build quality imperfections, I'd still have another
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

That thread mainly plus the few on here (Inc the 890 thread) and 2 youtube vids have totally put me off 790s. Pity as I think it'd be my perfect bike. But IMO the 790 is a joke. KTM have a bad rep and whilst there can be lemon's most are fine and beyond quirks will happily rack up the miles. But the 790 is proving all the doubters right without question. Not only have a significant amount of the 790s got issues, but the following 890 too. And so far KTM have done fuck all about it. The new ones have the same issues as the early ones. Normally KTM do a reasonable job of rolling improvements but not in this case.

I also got sent another youtube vid of a 790 Adv with loads of problems including a rear caliper shearing, both front and rear discs really loose, clock problems, engine cut outs etc etc.

So as much as I am a massive KTM fan my next bike will be a Z900, MT triple of some kind or GSXS Thou
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

There quite a lot more happy owners on the 790 FB group... there's a few really unhappy ones as well!

I may get rid of the k6 to get another 790 soonish - I can't decide. If winter could do one, so I can go have a play I wouldn't even be considering it, but because I can't ride I'm convincing myself I need something different!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Numnut wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:06 pm There quite a lot more happy owners on the 790 FB group... there's a few really unhappy ones as well!

I may get rid of the k6 to get another 790 soonish - I can't decide. If winter could do one, so I can go have a play I wouldn't even be considering it, but because I can't ride I'm convincing myself I need something different!
This is the first winter in many many years i'll be starting the season with the 2 bikes i ended last year with... It's a very strange situation for me.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Well I want a tracer 900 or a v strom 650, depending on fit. However prices on 790 Duke are very soft so may not be able to afford the change.
Pgm

Post by Pgm »

I’ve had 2 790’s the first one being written off and had zero issues with either, only time I’ve ever been lucky I suppose.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So, as we're getting to the end of lockdown, who's thinking of changing their bike and to what ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think the Guzzi is gonna go. I can't decide if I should replace with with something to do the odd track day on (i'm semi-tempted by the 790 Duke), or a 91/92 GSXR1100 to ponce around the countyside on in hi-tops and a paddock jacket.