Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

irie wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:48 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:18 pm https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/uni ... zprODKfat8
A single dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine provides “very high” protection without a ‘top up’ dose, according to Norwich researchers.

A University of East Anglia study has found that the vaccine becomes 90pc effective after 21 days – supporting UK plans to delay the timing of a second injection.
Looks like BJ might have scored again...
And our very own Dazzle will get 747 Max sized egg on his face. ;)
There's no such thing as a 747 Max.

Ordinarily I wouldn't point this out, because I know you're trying to make a human joke. But I feel it's necessary with you for some reason - dunno why.
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:52 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:18 pm https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/uni ... zprODKfat8

Looks like BJ might have scored again...
And our very own Dazzle will get 747 Max sized egg on his face. ;)
There's no such thing as a 747 Max.

Ordinarily I wouldn't point this out, because I know you're trying to make a human joke. But I feel it's necessary with you for some reason - dunno why.
My mistake. Ordinarily I wouldn't point this out but fortuitous because a 747 is 'a lot' bigger than a 737 Max. ;)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Had my first Pfizer jab on 3rd February and was then booked to have my second jab 12 weeks later on 28th April.

Today received a notification that it has been brought forward to 9th April which is ~9 weeks after my first jab.

Have no idea why it's been brought forward but no complaints of course. 8-)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Told the above to a friend (retired Consultant) who said:

"They are on a roll and trying to do as many as possible. The younger age groups are more likely to decline."

Makes sense, of course, because as target cohorts become younger proportionally more of them will decline, thereby shortening lead times for second doses.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The only problem with the younger, less at risk, groups turning down the vaccine (and why wouldn't you?) is that those in the higher risk groups who've turned it down on the basis they know best are now more likely to get tripped up.

Is this a case of doing your doody and getting jabbed to protect those who won't protect themselves?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 am Is this a case of doing your doody and getting jabbed to protect those who won't protect themselves?
To an extent yes... but don't forget there's people who not only won't protect themselves you're helping, but people who cannot for medical reasons. I don't know the figures but people with low immune systems, pregnant, maybe people with various conditions like HIV etc. Don't forget, but not vaccinating yourself, you're increasing the risk to those sort of people. So to a great extent yeah, it's the greater good and 'society' not just the selfish people who won't take it that you're saving/helping/protecting.

I can't sit here with 100% certainty the vaccine is safe.. but for me it represents the right thing to do in these times. So as soon as it's offered, i'll take it.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yeah I get that there are people who can't, but there must be significantly more who won't.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 pm
True, and lets not mention climatgate...
I admit I was going to, but seeing as you've imposed an embargo... :(
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

And our very own Dazzle will again get 747 Max sized egg on his face. ;)
Who told you about the 747 Max?

Guards- seize him!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

irie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 am Told the above to a friend (retired Consultant) who said:

"They are on a roll and trying to do as many as possible. The younger age groups are more likely to decline."

Makes sense, of course, because as target cohorts become younger proportionally more of them will decline, thereby shortening lead times for second doses.
Younger age groups haven't been given the chance to decline yet, if that's because the elderly and infirm need better protection then fine but don't pretend it's because younger people don't want it.

btw it's been some time since I fell into a 'younger people' group. :banana-dance:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I asked a "younger age group" if they were likely to decline the jab and he said he thought most of them had already had it (covid). If you've had it and survived it you probably rate your chances of fighting off a new variant. That's certainly my rationale for not bothering with the flu jab, even though I'm meandering into that age group.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

When we've all been vaccinated, say Xmas, will we go back to normal social behaviour, pubs, restaurants etc, like it was before or will we still need to distance/mask because of the unvaccinated folk. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm
irie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 am Told the above to a friend (retired Consultant) who said:

Younger age groups haven't been given the chance to decline yet, if that's because the elderly and infirm need better protection then fine but don't pretend it's because younger people don't want it.

btw it's been some time since I fell into a 'younger people' group. :banana-dance:
FYI - For some reason I am included in the Chichester hospital (St Richards) staff cohort.
irie

Post by irie »

Al Jazeera wrote: German company BioNTech has said its COVID-19 vaccine, developed in collaboration with pharmaceutical giant Pfizer, does not require modifications to protect people against key variants of the virus currently in circulation.

“To date, there is no evidence that an adaptation of BioNTech’s current COVID-19 vaccine against key identified emerging variants is necessary,” the company said in a statement on Monday.
Does seem that mRNA vaccines are the way forward because of their efficacy and reduced side effects when compared to viral vector vaccines.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

irie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:11 pm Does seem that mRNA vaccines are the way forward because of their efficacy and reduced side effects when compared to viral vector vaccines.
You mean the new (mustn't say "experimental") vaccines that have progressed through the authorisation process at record speed (mustn't say "rushed")?
irie

Post by irie »

Mrs irie had her 2nd Pfizer jab yesterday. Disturbed uncomfortable night, sore arm, aching joints, feeling shitty.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

irie wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am Mrs irie had her 2nd Pfizer jab yesterday. Disturbed uncomfortable night, sore arm, aching joints, feeling shitty.
Enough about you, hows the missus? :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pfizer vaccine going in to all adults over here now. My son and his missus, mid 20s, had their first today, second will be early July.

Says a lot about the take-up in the more vulnerable age groups.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

I took Mrs S up for her second injection today and I jokingly asked if they could do me at the same time.

Well it just happened that they had a spare dose so it saved me a bit of a trip next week.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I had my first jab of the fizzer yesterday morning...I've already lost my little record card. :roll:

Feels like someone has punched me and given me a dead arm, but otherwise fine.