Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:56 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm Wouldn't be an issue as we'd come back for Xmas with the family anyhow.
You'll have family and friends wanting to come see you in the warmth ;)
:wave:

Bit peckish.....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:37 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm I have a friend who lived in the US, and flew off to Canada every whatever to reset the clock. She was one a a fair number of people who did that.

Then one day it didn't work, she was picked up by Immigration on the way back, held for 48 hours, and shipped off to the UK with no option. Boyfriend, house, dog, clothes etc all out of reach. She was allowed just 1 2-minute phone call before being put on a plane, and she is now on the no-entry list for the US.

Dangerous practice.
Same. Dappy bird who did nannying off the books for some middle-class American family. Got oiked out once, they smuggled her in via Canada in the boot of their car. Got caught again. Turfed out again, lucky not to do some bird, I reckon.

Fair paly too. She was paid cash, plus board and use of a car, etc. but paid sod all in the way of tax. I'd given her 15 years in San Quentin with Bubette the Butch Lezzer.
Any photos ?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Still paying into a final salary scheme.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm Wouldn't be an issue as we'd come back for Xmas with the family anyhow.
Maybe.
Would you fit into your old lifestyle in Liverpool now if you moved back there?

Making big changes in your life changes you, it's only logical, and you have to want some element of change or why do it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 am Would you fit into your old lifestyle in Liverpool now if you moved back there?
Not in the slightest. I'm not the person i was when i left Liverpool. As much time and respect as i do have for the city it's no longer my home and the only way i see myself going there is to see a football match or to visit my mums grave. I was thinking more of visiting the wifes mum, or my grown up boy as the moving away wouldn't be for at least another 10 years and he'll be 22+ by then, so coming back for Xmas in the middle would be to see them, not to go to Liverpool.

They were great times, down by the docks listening to the boats sound their horns at midnight, dancing in the street till 2am on NYE, but no, that's not me any more... i'm more a sit on the side of a hill with my shins covered in mud gazing at the stars kind of guy.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:24 am
Potter wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:13 am Would you fit into your old lifestyle in Liverpool now if you moved back there?
Not in the slightest. I'm not the person i was when i left Liverpool. As much time and respect as i do have for the city it's no longer my home and the only way i see myself going there is to see a football match or to visit my mums grave. I was thinking more of visiting the wifes mum, or my grown up boy as the moving away wouldn't be for at least another 10 years and he'll be 22+ by then, so coming back for Xmas in the middle would be to see them, not to go to Liverpool.

They were great times, down by the docks listening to the boats sound their horns at midnight, dancing in the street till 2am on NYE, but no, that's not me any more... i'm more a sit on the side of a hill with my shins covered in mud gazing at the stars kind of guy.
That’s my point, so after some time in your place abroad you’d probably find you’ve gone through another significant step change in who you are and how you view life.

It’s inevitable and you have to want the change, if you don’t want that change then don’t move - which is why we’re staying put for now, I don’t need/want change yet.
Docca

Post by Docca »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 am I spent some time chatting with Mrs Weeksy on this last night. I think we're at a bit of an impasse.

But, that said, i think there's a compromise likely which will be end of Oct - March spent renting in warmer climates each year, then living the rest of the time in the UK. It's a fair compromise to me and one that sounds pretty much ideal. You never know, it may even persuade her to do the full-jump to it.
The one thing i wouldn't do though is the ex-pat thing. Irrespective of whether we were in Spain/Canaries or France, i don't get that side of it at all. I'd be far more inclined to do the local thing instead.

There will be a 2nd caveat for me personally within it, that i'd like to do the cycling 'business' over there, officially or unofficially, so would be buying a van, taking 3-4 ebikes (i do see these as the future for many) and picking up some customers to help fund our time out there.
Rather than a bike shop, have you thought about setting up your own YouTube channel with walkthroughs about bike maintained equipment? You have a very calming way about you and it would be interesting to watch/learn from. Good money earner too.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Docca wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 am I spent some time chatting with Mrs Weeksy on this last night. I think we're at a bit of an impasse.

But, that said, i think there's a compromise likely which will be end of Oct - March spent renting in warmer climates each year, then living the rest of the time in the UK. It's a fair compromise to me and one that sounds pretty much ideal. You never know, it may even persuade her to do the full-jump to it.
The one thing i wouldn't do though is the ex-pat thing. Irrespective of whether we were in Spain/Canaries or France, i don't get that side of it at all. I'd be far more inclined to do the local thing instead.

There will be a 2nd caveat for me personally within it, that i'd like to do the cycling 'business' over there, officially or unofficially, so would be buying a van, taking 3-4 ebikes (i do see these as the future for many) and picking up some customers to help fund our time out there.
Rather than a bike shop, have you thought about setting up your own YouTube channel with walkthroughs about bike maintained equipment? You have a very calming way about you and it would be interesting to watch/learn from. Good money earner too.
That is an over-saturated market i'm afraid with people like Shimano, SRAM, GCN etc doing absolutely awesome videos to repair just about every item and component on the planet, from full rebuilds to changing a chain and everything inbetween. I think it's a great idea, but i don't see it having legs.
moth

Post by moth »

Fuck me, this is getting complicated.

It's simple

Get an index linked company pension with a guaranteed annual pension and a large lump sum. Oh you can't can you?
Get a PPP then.
Pay as much into it as you can afford.
Then pay some more.
Repeat for 40 years.
Try not to die in the interim.
Do the lottery every week, and pray really hard.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

moth wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm Fuck me, this is getting complicated.

It's simple

Get an index linked company pension with a guaranteed annual pension and a large lump sum. Oh you can't can you?
Get a PPP then.
Then pay some more.
Repeat for 40 years.
when you say 'complicated' do you mean informative, useful, interesting and the whole purpose of a forum ?
moth

Post by moth »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:49 pm
moth wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm Fuck me, this is getting complicated.

It's simple

Get a PPP then.
Then pay some more.
Repeat for 40 years.

when you say 'complicated' do you mean informative, useful, interesting and the whole purpose of a forum ?
No, I meant hyperbolic :)
Docca

Post by Docca »

You’re a hyperbolic 😃
moth

Post by moth »

Docca wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:08 pm You’re a hyperbolic 😃
Very kind of you to say so :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

I had one of those. Excision sorted it.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:18 pm
Reminds me of a friend. He had bollock cancer in one when he was quite young, teens, so they removed it. His other bollock grew massive, and he now has only one ball but, I kid you not, it's the size of a large orange.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Reminds me of a friend. He had bollock cancer in one when he was quite young, teens, so they removed it. His other bollock grew massive, and he now has only one ball but, I kid you not, it's the size of a large orange.
I was told that there's a genetic disorder which has resulted in one particular tribe having congenital ( :) ) hydroceles, all the males have massive ballsacks. Like the Viz character made real.

Still, I can honestly claim to have had my genitals reduced because they were to big :D

[And, no, that's not how I got the nickname]
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm
NFN?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm Reminds me of a friend. He had bollock cancer in one when he was quite young, teens, so they removed it. His other bollock grew massive, and he now has only one ball but, I kid you not, it's the size of a large orange.
and you've seen this ? What's wrong with you ! Why are you even discussion bollock sizes with mates !
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:30 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm Reminds me of a friend. He had bollock cancer in one when he was quite young, teens, so they removed it. His other bollock grew massive, and he now has only one ball but, I kid you not, it's the size of a large orange.
and you've seen this ? What's wrong with you ! Why are you even discussion bollock sizes with mates !
A lot of blokes, who could have survived, die of testicular cancer.

Talking 'bollocks' is important. Not just on here :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:46 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:30 pm
A lot of blokes, who could have survived, die of testicular cancer.

Talking 'bollocks' is important. Not just on here :)
I get you to an extent. But that's more for the Doc rather than sitting in Wetherspoons and getting your bollox out on the table and declaring "look at the size of my giant bollock"