The 10+ year KX500 rebuild thread

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Asian Boss

Re: The 10+ year KX500 rebuild thread

Post by Asian Boss »

derek badger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:02 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:51 pm Inspired by this I looked at CR500s on eBay. Eight large for a decent one. So your KX should be worth something when it's done.
That'd be a fully restored MX one. But yes, the open class bad boys are now commanding a pretty penny. You should get one. Just right for impressing the school girls by hoiking a minger on the back wheel past the chip shop in your chavvy air max trainers and shell suit top. 👍👍👍
I think one of them might put my hip out (the bike, not a schoolgirl). I'll stick to doing a slow cruise in the Barry'd up motor with the widdy-widdy-widdy-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM tunes blasting out. 8-)
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

If anyone has coverted thier MX bike to SM and done a 320 upgrade and still has the original sliding 2 pot and m/c they want rid of, please let me know! 👍
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Axle and top hats fitted to sleeve it down for the 15mm bearings. I'm now knocking up dummy spacers out of plastic pipe.

6-8 weeks minimum lead time for a custom sprocket (520 pitch, 43 teeth on the PCD for this wheel) as all the firm's I've contacted are waiting for blanks.

Aluminium and steel ordered for various brackets and mounting plates. CDI being made in France, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and the dog chewed through the cable on the steam mop, so I've got to mend that tomorrow...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

derek badger wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am If anyone has coverted thier MX bike to SM and done a 320 upgrade and still has the original sliding 2 pot and m/c they want rid of, please let me know! 👍
Yes, no, maybe... No.

Ive still got MX wheels for mine and not planning on flogging any more bits.

To be honest, this thread has got me eying up my reasonable sized stack of KX 500 bike and spare parts mountain and thinking about firing it back on the road for a bit.
I sold my "spare KX 500" at about 9 weeks into the first lockdown when I was absolutely on my arse and its starting to piss me off. The bloke was fair with the price so I can't complain about that but Y'know...
I've even bought a new kickstart lever to replace my worn knuckle version.
Ive got a spare cylinder head and am giving a decomp button conversion a bit of real thought.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

demographic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:03 pm
derek badger wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 am If anyone has coverted thier MX bike to SM and done a 320 upgrade and still has the original sliding 2 pot and m/c they want rid of, please let me know! 👍
Yes, no, maybe... No.

Ive still got MX wheels for mine and not planning on flogging any more bits.

To be honest, this thread has got me eying up my reasonable sized stack of KX 500 bike and spare parts mountain and thinking about firing it back on the road for a bit.
I sold my "spare KX 500" at about 9 weeks into the first lockdown when I was absolutely on my arse and its starting to piss me off. The bloke was fair with the price so I can't complain about that but Y'know...
I've even bought a new kickstart lever to replace my worn knuckle version.
Ive got a spare cylinder head and am giving a decomp button conversion a bit of real thought.
I'm going to clear the shed out, it's not KX parts but I've got a ton of old bit off bikes I no longer own that can help fund this project.
demographic

Post by demographic »

You'll likely have seen this but just in case, its a what fits what year parts interchangeably err...thing.

You can scroll a bloody long way over to the right to see what parts from what bikes fit what.
http://www.oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX500BIKEID.shtml
cheb

Post by cheb »

Have you a links to the decompressor mods? I did have them but they've been lost somewhere down the mine.
demographic

Post by demographic »

cheb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:07 pm Have you a links to the decompressor mods? I did have them but they've been lost somewhere down the mine.
I've got a load of pics on an old memory stick somewhere here but this thread covers what it looks like on the 1288 E1 and E2 head which I think is the same from 88-04 bikes. Or at the very least mine (90) to 04.
https://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.p ... 956.0.html
The 86 head is different and from whatI saw can have the decomp valve fitted through one of the bolts for the water pipe connector on the head.
I put a link up a page or two back on this thread for that one.

More about it here.
http://oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184

There's another way to do it which has to drill through the cylinder and personally I'd avoid that one like the plague.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Got one of these today... it seems that the LED tail light bulb I have manages OK with 18 volts, besides if it didn't I would just use the lorry versions rated for 24 volts instead.
My LED headlight bulb does too which only leaves the horn and indicators to sort, can't be rocket science can it?
I already have a Hitachi drill handle part that does the same but the De-Walt one is much neater.

With a dewalt battery.

Years ago I made up a tiny battery box that went behind a sidepanel but the battery was pretty gash.
Now I'll just put it in one of those tailpack things that live just behind the seat.
Not exactly pretty but with a four (US) gallon tank the bike isn't exactly pretty anyway.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Knocked up a make shift bracket to level and hold the laser now the plastic spacers are fitted and the wheel is central in the swingarm. Chain alignment is almost perfect but until I have the correct rear sprocket I won't be 100% sure.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nice work there !
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Both bushes on the linkage are are fucked, as is the top shock bush. All balls racing will probably stock them, but I might look into a shock from another bike. The '86 KX 250 is the same at about 415mm eye to eye but it's as hard to come by as the one of this model.

I replaced the swingarm bearings when the frame was stripped at the start of this project, might have down the rocker ones too as they have zero play in them.

derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Started stripping the shock, it still had gas in it and fluid. The fluid was fucking rank, actually made me gag. I've ordered a new linkage bush/bearing kit and a shock seal kit. I'll be stripping it down further and checking the remote reservoir bladder out while it's apart.

Rang Talon and placed the order for the sprocket, 12 weeks lead time. Ho-hum. Plenty to get on with, front-wheel spacers next then I'll have the dimensions for all 4 to get them turned up.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Oh, and Talon Engineering had that pattern with a 520 pitch on file. Turns out some Gas Gas models run it. Again, a European manufacturer.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

And while I'm here drinking cider and mulling things over, having more than one work bench is fucking brilliant. The project really is gathering momentum due to the fact I have much better working conditions and facilities than I've ever had.
Potter

Post by Potter »

derek badger wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm Oh, and Talon Engineering had that pattern with a 520 pitch on file. Turns out some Gas Gas models run it. Again, a European manufacturer.
I may have missed a comment along these lines, but maybe have a batch made up and flog them on ebay at a margin to make yours free?
I'd be keeping a couple spare anyway.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Potter wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:21 am
derek badger wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm Oh, and Talon Engineering had that pattern with a 520 pitch on file. Turns out some Gas Gas models run it. Again, a European manufacturer.
I may have missed a comment along these lines, but maybe have a batch made up and flog them on ebay at a margin to make yours free?
I'd be keeping a couple spare anyway.
I doubt I'd be able to compete with the likes of Talon, I've been quoted 40 odd quid + VAT and shipping. They had a part number for this item, so it's something they would normally have on the shelf or have made before.

The lead time is only because there are no blanks at all in this country. Every manufacturer I contacted is waiting for stock.
Potter

Post by Potter »

derek badger wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:35 am
I doubt I'd be able to compete with the likes of Talon, I've been quoted 40 odd quid + VAT and shipping. They had a part number for this item, so it's something they would normally have on the shelf or have made before.

The lead time is only because there are no blanks at all in this country. Every manufacturer I contacted is waiting for stock.
Fair point.
If ever I get stuck for something and then I find somewhere to get one I always buy two, just in case I'm stuck for one again.
That's why I've got drawers full of stuff :lol:
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Linkage bearings and bushes arrived this morning. Need to get the shock finished and reassemble the suspension. Back brake hanger and master cylinder mount to fabricate, then sort a pedal out and that's the rear end done. Front requires wheel alignment and caliper mount, then that's all the running gear sorted.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Shim stack and seal head finally out of the shock tube. That was a bit of a bugger but YouTube videos helped.

Ever wondered what inside a 1980s remote reservoir shock...

Last edited by derek badger on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.