https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcy ... r-BB1djOtZ
Taipan

Re: HD stock drops 19%....

Post by Taipan »

:o
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'm sure Covid has been a factor,but the article suggests the boomers are falling over dead,or unable to ride and the younger folk aren't as interested.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yeah, HD have lost the faithful. They need to rebrand with hip celebs/influencers and a massive social media campaign.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:37 pm Yeah, HD have lost the faithful. They need to rebrand with hip celebs/influencers and a massive social media campaign.
Or make modern bikes instead of tractors.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:37 pm Yeah, HD have lost the faithful. They need to rebrand with hip celebs/influencers and a massive social media campaign.
Or make modern bikes instead of tractors.
And disappear in to everything else? HDs edge has always been because they aren't like everything else. Give that up and they're gone...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Their share prices might offer some decent money for anyone with the stones to take a punt.
I wish I'd have shorted it early last week.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

This was a while ago but he suggests they've been hoarding shares.
Well that and producing bikes that gentlemen of a certain age are keen on but not much that everyone else likes.

Potter

Post by Potter »

That's the problem with the markets, if it's being held artificially high then it takes big pockets and balls to short it.
There was a film about it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Isn't part of the problem that for a lot of people who currently buy HD's they grew with Harley = Hell's Angels/rebels. So when they hit mid-life crisis they buy something that to them = cool/bad boy.

People who've grown up with HD in the last 30-40 years HD = Old accountant with a Woking back patch. So when they hit mid-life crisis HD is the last thing they think of.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 am Isn't part of the problem that for a lot of people who currently buy HD's they grew with Harley = Hell's Angels/rebels. So when they hit mid-life crisis they buy something that to them = cool/bad boy.

People who've grown up with HD in the last 30-40 years HD = Old accountant with a Woking back patch. So when they hit mid-life crisis HD is the last thing they think of.
One of the biggest issues is that they rely almost exclusively on the "professionals" mid-life crisis crowd. My ND neighbour is a perfect example - got his licence through DA, bought one, rode it for a year (two if I'm going to be generous), bought a SH Electra Glide that he then rode very occasionally. Hasn't ridden either for at least a couple of years. Has all the apparel and the ridiculous "HD Parking only" badges up but isn't buying bikes - neither are his mates - and he's not likely to either.

It says something when the guy kicking up the biggest fuss about them on this thread rides an automatic Honda, which replaced a Beemer etc.etc.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

They need a remake of Easy Rider.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

lostboy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:49 am
Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 am Isn't part of the problem that for a lot of people who currently buy HD's they grew with Harley = Hell's Angels/rebels. So when they hit mid-life crisis they buy something that to them = cool/bad boy.

One of the biggest issues is that they rely almost exclusively on the "professionals" mid-life crisis crowd. My ND neighbour is a perfect example - got his licence through DA, bought one, rode it for a year (two if I'm going to be generous), bought a SH Electra Glide that he then rode very occasionally. Hasn't ridden either for at least a couple of years. Has all the apparel and the ridiculous "HD Parking only" badges up but isn't buying bikes - neither are his mates - and he's not likely to either.

It says something when the guy kicking up the biggest fuss about them on this thread rides an automatic Honda, which replaced a Beemer etc.etc.
I just like motorbikes. I'll try any type of them too. Gives a nice broad insight into motorcycling. Most people that don't like Harleys simply don't get them, because they judge them by the standards they set for their own taste in motorbikes. It's a narrow minded point of view imo. Mind you, can you imagine how outright stupid something like a Panigale is to a Harley Dresser owner! :lol:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 amHarley Dresser
Slang?
Something to put a mirror on in the bedroom?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:29 pm
Slang?
Lol!,

Full-dress tourers

Full-dress touring motorcycles are generally characterized by extremely large fairings and ample bodywork compared to other types of tourers. Hard luggage, e.g. panniers and a top box, are integrated into the design of the motorcycle which usually has a very large displacement, torquey engine with a very upright, comfortable riding position.

Additionally, optional amenities for full-dress tourers might include equipment not normally offered on other motorcycles such as complete stereos (AM/FM radios with CD players or MP3 connections), satellite radio, heated seats and hand-grips, GPS navigation systems, custom windshields, integrated air compressors, and air bags. Beyond what manufacturers supply, 'full dressers' are often customized by owners with additional accessories.[6]

Full-dress tourers are designed specifically for riding on pavement. A few examples of full-dress tourers are the Yamaha Royal Star Venture, the Honda Gold Wing, and Harley-Davidson Electra Glide.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote:Full-dress tourers are designed specifically for riding on pavement.
“Sidewalk,” dude!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 pm
Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:29 pm
Slang?
Lol!,

Full-dress tourers

Full-dress touring motorcycles are generally characterized by extremely large fairings and ample bodywork compared to other types of tourers. Hard luggage, e.g. panniers and a top box, are integrated into the design of the motorcycle which usually has a very large displacement, torquey engine with a very upright, comfortable riding position.

Additionally, optional amenities for full-dress tourers might include equipment not normally offered on other motorcycles such as complete stereos (AM/FM radios with CD players or MP3 connections), satellite radio, heated seats and hand-grips, GPS navigation systems, custom windshields, integrated air compressors, and air bags. Beyond what manufacturers supply, 'full dressers' are often customized by owners with additional accessories.[6]

Full-dress tourers are designed specifically for riding on pavement. A few examples of full-dress tourers are the Yamaha Royal Star Venture, the Honda Gold Wing, and Harley-Davidson Electra Glide.
You mean it's one of those really ugly bikes with a faring that makes em look like Bender from Futurama?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Skub wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 pm I'm sure Covid has been a factor,but the article suggests the boomers are falling over dead,or unable to ride and the younger folk aren't as interested.
Which is effectively what I was saying in the thread on the future of bikes. Manufacturers HAVE to cater for new riders.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Those Harley's they cost so much money,
A Honda is all he could buy,
He covers it up on his car port,
If anyone saw it he'd die.

:(

To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 am
I just like motorbikes.
Same.
And good point about HD vs a Panigale, I think both are equally as unpleasant for anything other than looking at.

It's the weight and riding position that doesn't work for me with a HD, not the tank badge.
(well - that and the arseless chaps :lol: )