What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

Discovered that I have disparaged oiks of questionable morals in error. Went to AAA (US version of AA) as they do DMV (DVLC) stuff without having to actually deal with the DMV.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I wasn't going to be paying $23 for a replacement tag, but had actually neglected to renew the tags last April & the fuckers were going to bend me over for $188 :(
Oh well, all up to date now.. until April when I have to buy '22 tags AND get a fucking smog test (another $50, every two years)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Today i went into work for the first time in over a month so we could check over the bikes, sort out emails from DVSA and look at new recording practises as well as some training for the newer instructors (me and 1 other)

All the bikes brought out, fired up, ridden to test brakes and check tyre pressures. Some refresh stuff on lessons for training pad work then everything away and bugger off home again.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I just wrote out all my physio exercises (he seems to add a couple more every appointment!) -

I now have an A4 page full of exercises!! :o :o :o ok - some lines empty, but it's 25 exercises x 10 each :o :o I thought it took me a long time!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm Probably need to change how I cook it - the recipe says fry in an inch or more of oil in a pan - I think I'll put MUCH less oil in next time!!
Check the temperature you're cooking at, oil that is too cold will often make things greasy. You can make grease free, nice and dry, crispy stuff in a deep frier can't you so its generally not the AMOUNT of oil that matters.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Not fu*king slept again, ended up binge watching Battlestar Galactica till 0500 and then raging at the BBC for cutting it.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:46 pm Had a day off after 2 days of re deployment ...bit weary after doing two 13 hour days .
Went to LIDL with a rather low in mood son ( lockdown isn't doing children any good surprisingly) and bought a soldering iron as he's started fiddling around with old IPODS etc .
Long day am - Saturday Tabun fit battery to 900 .
Just been to my lock up and re fitted fire blade battery .
Was looking forward to some time off next week but our re deployment has been cancelled after only a week so a tiny pin prick of light at the end of the Tunnel perhaps .
My magnetic pick tool arrived and I tried to see if poking it down the exhaust would find what's rattling in the header pipes but no joy .
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The missus and I have got the 'ordinance' (prescription) for our covid jab. Now it's just a question of getting a booking to have it. And the small matter of vaccine being available.
Stoopid system.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Did my first proper solo offshore (i.e. no land in sight) sail yesterday.
This morning I had jobs to do that I'd noticed so I got them done, tidied the boat up, moored up nicely then went shopping, came home skyped parents, now BBQ time.

Yesterday was the equivalent of driving to the bottom of your street in preparation for a Land End to John O'Groats run - but I didn't sink and if I just keep doing bigger and bigger trips I'll eventually make it around the world via sailboat.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've only sailed out of sight of land (other than on a ferry etc.) once before....it's certainly a lot more 'real' and you get a sense of just how very big the ocean is when you're in a little boat, even just a few miles out.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 am
Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm Probably need to change how I cook it - the recipe says fry in an inch or more of oil in a pan - I think I'll put MUCH less oil in next time!!
Check the temperature you're cooking at, oil that is too cold will often make things greasy. You can make grease free, nice and dry, crispy stuff in a deep frier can't you so its generally not the AMOUNT of oil that matters.
I suspect you are right. But the fat fryer I have is no better - I set to the temperature but the spring rolls were 'really' full of oil :( :(

I did the toast in a pan and am always a bit wary when there's lots of oil in a pan, so probably wussed out on the temps

DefTrap wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:43 am The missus and I have got the 'ordinance' (prescription) for our covid jab. Now it's just a question of getting a booking to have it. And the small matter of vaccine being available.
Stoopid system.
Awesome. Crossing fingers for a booking and supplies!

I'm pretty sure I'm way down the list - but I guess that if they have vaccine up here and the French in the area are reluctant, I'll move up a bit!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I refitted some shelf brackets, cut a piece of wood in half lengthways and fixed the two bits to the brackets. Finally got my kitchen/sitting room back after a few days of stuff being off the shelf and waiting for someone else to cut the wood for me!! LOL

Off out in a mo to stand in the falling snow at a distance from some friends! Might try and make another snow angel to compare the arm range I have now!! LOL

Tomorrow is forecast to be a bit nice in the morning so I'll be getting the touring skis ready to go early!! :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm I've only sailed out of sight of land (other than on a ferry etc.) once before....it's certainly a lot more 'real' and you get a sense of just how very big the ocean is when you're in a little boat, even just a few miles out.
When you're far enough out that the mobile phone loses it's signal and the VHF is only good for 20-odd miles, but there was nothing within that distance, it does make you think a bit.
If I'd had an issue yesterday there was no way of contacting anyone, I was on my own.

I was out miles from anywhere and a coalition aircraft put a call out giving some information. I think at their sort of altitude they can reach around 200-300 miles, so it could have been flying out in the Gulf of Oman looking for pirates but there was no way they'd have been able to hear me if I replied. If I was in trouble it would be maddening to hear that perfect queens English and not be able to shout for help.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Potter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:09 pm Did my first proper solo offshore (i.e. no land in sight) sail yesterday.
This morning I had jobs to do that I'd noticed so I got them done, tidied the boat up, moored up nicely then went shopping, came home skyped parents, now BBQ time.

Yesterday was the equivalent of driving to the bottom of your street in preparation for a Land End to John O'Groats run - but I didn't sink and if I just keep doing bigger and bigger trips I'll eventually make it around the world via sailboat.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm I've only sailed out of sight of land (other than on a ferry etc.) once before....it's certainly a lot more 'real' and you get a sense of just how very big the ocean is when you're in a little boat, even just a few miles out.
I'll add: Chuck a good fog to that and suddenly it all becomes very real. And you realise why the accurate marine chronometer was such a desired thing.

When deep diving in murky water and you can't see the surface and you can't see the bottom is fun too.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:09 pm Did my first proper solo offshore (i.e. no land in sight) sail yesterday.

Pop in here for a cuppa :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today we did a 5 hour enduro and I didn't fall off 9once :)

I fell off 4 times Thursday :D

So tired I can barely get off the sofa. Them lads push me hard.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 pm
When you're far enough out that the mobile phone loses it's signal and the VHF is only good for 20-odd miles, but there was nothing within that distance, it does make you think a bit.
If I'd had an issue yesterday there was no way of contacting anyone, I was on my own.

I was out miles from anywhere and a coalition aircraft put a call out giving some information. I think at their sort of altitude they can reach around 200-300 miles, so it could have been flying out in the Gulf of Oman looking for pirates but there was no way they'd have been able to hear me if I replied. If I was in trouble it would be maddening to hear that perfect queens English and not be able to shout for help.
Thats why knowing how to use a compass etc. is still probably worthwhile :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I worked a couple of Summers taking emmets out of Looe harbor on mackerel fishing trips, we'd make a HUGE circle & just barely get over the horizon. Damn near every trip there would be some idiot who asked if we going to land in France & would he need a passport as Blighty came back into view.
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 pm
I'll add: Chuck a good fog to that and suddenly it all becomes very real.
^ That. 3 a.m., middle of the English Channel, Lymington to Cherbourg, crossing the shipping lanes at 90°. We heard two ships' engines, felt the wash from one of them. Our 'defences' were one of those interlocked panel radar reflectors on the mast and a tin trumpet to blow.

Mind you, two days later we sailed west to Aldernay. And missed.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Watched four men, a boxer dog, a mini digger and a couple of dumper trucks turn this...

into this...

On Monday it's being block paved... all 45sqr/mtrs of it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Didn't even know mini did a digger version. Can't see the scoop in that pic?