Flight radar 24

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
636mick

Flight radar 24

Post by 636mick »

Anyone else got this running in the background all day? Been watching the RAF Globemaster over the last couple of days, hoping he flies over here.
The Antanov 225, I think, flew Paris to Beijing a few days ago, not seen it since.
Lots of helicopters around now. Aberdeen has a constant stream in and out to the rigs and Norway.
Not many passenger planes about though.
Mick.
Horse

Re: Flight radar 24

Post by Horse »

I have the FR free app on the phone. Quite frightening watching the planes trying to land at Heathrow during one of the recent big storms. Several half way down the runway, then going around again.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Been using it on and off over the last couple of weeks. It's been really weird here in the West of Ireland seeing the lack of flights overhead. And the recent spell of really nice clear weather has made any contrails stand out much more than normal due to their rarity.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yeah - I browse pprune as well - lots of very worried pilots anc CC on there :(
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I didn't think military planes appeared on Flight radar 24. We often get a couple of Chinooks or Apaches flying near by, I gusess going from Colchester to London but would like to know their route.
I generally use it when picking someone up from Stansted, I track the flight and then set off when they land, its about half an hour away so i'm not hanging around too log for the pickup.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

GuzziPaul wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 pm I didn't think military planes appeared on Flight radar 24. We often get a couple of Chinooks or Apaches flying near by, I gusess going from Colchester to London but would like to know their route.
The Apaches train over at Layer - they regularly fly over the fields adjacent to our house in West Bergholt at pretty low level.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

I was surprised to see military on there, i think its a new thing. The Globemaster is currently doing circuits around Brize Norton, there’s also a Voyager off Aberdeen doing circuits, makes you wonder what they are doing. It flew from Brize to Aberdeen and has been there ever since, probably a training flight I guess.
Lots and lots of helicopters about today, also spotted a glider!!
Mick.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm The Apaches train over at Layer - they regularly fly over the fields adjacent to our house in West Bergholt at pretty low level.
Probably using Fingringhoe ranges, they're based at Wattisham
Honda Owner
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 pm
v8-powered wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm The Apaches train over at Layer - they regularly fly over the fields adjacent to our house in West Bergholt at pretty low level.
Yep - from where we live we watch them jumping from the garrison to the ranges and then towards Layer. They fly very low at times, popping up behind the trees etc - impressive things....
G.P

Post by G.P »

I use vesselfinder.com to track my lad on HMS Dragon. I was surprised to see military vessels. Dragon is simply "WARSHIP D35" I noticed that it stops being tracked when out of local waters - it disappeared for almost three weeks when on exercised in the Atlantic last Autumn.
Its in maintenance in Portsmouth at the moment so no fun.

The thing that freaks me out on flight radar is (or was) the sheer volume of traffic in the air. :eek:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:20 pm Yep - from where we live we watch them jumping from the garrison to the ranges and then towards Layer. They fly very low at times, popping up behind the trees etc - impressive things....
Big heavy, beasts of a helicopter, they'll fly with nearly half the helicopter missing, my mate used to work on them, but he much preferred Lynxs to work on.
Honda Owner
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 pm
Just found this https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... april-2020 . Looks like they are firing today.

A long time ago when I was in the Army cadets I was doing long range target shooting (100 -300m with .303 rifles) south of Hornsea (East Yorkshire Coast) and a couple of miles down the coast the A10s were having a play with their gattling guns, you could hear the brrrrzzzz even at that distance.

Just found it, it was Cowden bombing range, you can still see the poc marks in the field
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I had two Qatari air force c-17 Globemasters over my place heading westbound last week. They were 20 mins apart and they dropped off the radar over Canada so i have no idea of their destination, and bugger knows what they were carrying?
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

636mick wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:27 pm I was surprised to see military on there, i think its a new thing. The Globemaster is currently doing circuits around Brize Norton, there’s also a Voyager off Aberdeen doing circuits, makes you wonder what they are doing.
I have a video on my phone of the two passes over Prestwick Airport The Globe Master made on Sunday. I wondered if they were just scoping out the flight paths or actually training. Quite a sight as they pass very low overhead on the descent to the runway.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Falcoholic wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm
636mick wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:27 pm I was surprised to see military on there, i think its a new thing. The Globemaster is currently doing circuits around Brize Norton, there’s also a Voyager off Aberdeen doing circuits, makes you wonder what they are doing.
I have a video on my phone of the two passes over Prestwick Airport The Globe Master made on Sunday. I wondered if they were just scoping out the flight paths or actually training. Quite a sight as they pass very low overhead on the descent to the runway.
I watched it doing that, online that is, as I was sat at my desk working and had tracked it up to your neck of the woods.
Wish they would fly over here!!
Had 2 Chinooks over earlier, not on the app though.
Mick
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Just found the Hurricane from the Battle of Britain flight, currently heading south towards Peterborough, off for the fly past for Captain Tom I assume.
Mick
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

G.P wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:38 pmhe thing that freaks me out on flight radar is (or was) the sheer volume of traffic in the air. :eek:
Bear in mind that it only shows a subset of all aircraft too. Almost all private aircraft won't show as well as quite a lot of older commercial stuff, business jets, military etc.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Slenver wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:06 pm
G.P wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:38 pmhe thing that freaks me out on flight radar is (or was) the sheer volume of traffic in the air. :eek:
Bear in mind that it only shows a subset of all aircraft too. Almost all private aircraft won't show as well as quite a lot of older commercial stuff, business jets, military etc.
It does vary. Last year, four light aircraft flew over in formation, only two had transponders. Some will show their track and ID, but no further information, such as helicopters which seemed to have popped up out of a field somewhere!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Horse wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:19 pm
Slenver wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:06 pm
It does vary. Last year, four light aircraft flew over in formation, only two had transponders. Some will show their track and ID, but no further information, such as helicopters which seemed to have popped up out of a field somewhere!
Yeah, and it'll become more and more common as that type of transponder becomes both cheaper and mandated eventually. For now though, it's a few grand to buy and very few people outside of commercial operations do. Those that have probably needed a new one anyway or were in very expensive new planes!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

The Swissair fleet on its way to Jordan to park up in order to ride out the CV storm.