Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
asmethurst99

Re: Tool purchases

Post by asmethurst99 »

I've bought a magnetic pick up thingy and a cheap LED inspection light from Aliexpress for not very much in anger at my sealey one packing in after 10 mins
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

demographic wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:43 pm If I've got a DeWalt cordless drill and screwdriver thingy, would the battery fit a cordless version of this?
My wife has the 18 volt (the Yanks call em 20 volt MAX but thats Yanks for yer, always enflating the numbers) cordless version of that multitool and it runs on the same slide in batteries her drill and rattle gun. Same batteries as my cordless first fix nailgun, cordless planer, worklight, and Jigsaw I have as well.
I'm pretty sure it'll also run on the De-Walt Flexvolt batteries which have dual voltage (18/54 or 20/60 volt if yer insecure and need a gun to walk to the shops) depending on what they're plugged into.

If your wondering about Flexvolt, its a way to configure the cells either in group of parallels for the 18 and 20 volts or in series for the 54 and 60 volts setup.

So in short, yes the multitool with the slide in batteries runs on the same slide in batteries as the other gear.
The De-Walt multitool is dead easy to change blades on as well.
Awesome. Thank you. Won't be getting one for a while (probably a long while!) but good to know! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Noggin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:25 pm
Awesome. Thank you. Won't be getting one for a while (probably a long while!) but good to know! :D :D
You're welcome. If you're even faintly confused by it when it comes to the time fire up what you're looking at and I'll happily look it over for you.

I'm generally quite impressed by De-Walts current tool lineup, its not perfect but nor is any other.
It is however pretty good value and lasts well enough for trade usage.

De-Walt is also good at using proper clicky switches on their tools which makes Hitachi and Makitas shitty little tactile buttons seem cheap in comparison. Check out the speed controls on the rattle guns or the single shot to bump fire switches on their nailguns for details.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Oh yes sir. !
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Just bought one of these
https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/thor-214-c ... UsQAvD_BwE
Got a rubber mallet, got a lump hammer, got a nylon face hammer with interchangable faces, a wooden mallet and various sizes of hammer for hitting things that are hard. but not a copper or rawhide hammer till now.
I remember my dad having a rawhide hammer that was handy for hitting engine cases and stuff and I've used a rubber mallet till now but I thought is was time to get a copper and raw hide one. Not got any plans to hit anything with it yet but I think I need to have one hung up ready for when I do.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Tomorrow I have to replace a pair of bath taps. Space is very tight (I've checked) so today I bought one of these:

iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I have a Thor with aluminium heads which is handy for the "in between" thwacking jobs eg tapping reluctant bolts etc where plastic faces are too weedy and a steel hammer too destructive. I also have a heavy (lump hammer weight) Thor with plastic faces which comes in handy sometimes.

You can never have too many hammers!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

As the saying goes, 'if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem'... :mrgreen:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

iansoady wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:08 am I have a Thor with aluminium heads which is handy for the "in between" thwacking jobs eg tapping reluctant bolts etc where plastic faces are too weedy and a steel hammer too destructive. I also have a heavy (lump hammer weight) Thor with plastic faces which comes in handy sometimes.

You can never have too many hammers!

I have an old Thor rawhids/copper hammer with Made In Shirley, Birmingham on the head.
The copper face is beat to shite and I got a replacement Thor copper face from the local steel stockists but as yet I've not removed the old one.

I replaced the rawhide face a while ago as that was simpler to remove the old one.

Realistically I might have been better off just getting a new hammer but I'm a sucker for fettling old tools. My favourite 5 1/2 jackplane was made in 1931 and I'm determined to be still using it when it turns a hundred.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Just bought some 89mm and 152mm PZ2 driver bits, they are made by Saxon and available on Amazon.

I’m not sure whether they are impact bits but they are really useful for getting screws into tight corners.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

You will know this of course but PZ2 is Pozidriv - most cross-head screws on motorcycles are JIS or Phillips.....
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Indeed, Saxon happen to do PH bits in the same lengths as well
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

The only proper JIS bits and screwdrivers I'm aware of are made by Vessel and are quite pricy, however fit the heads really well. They also fit Phillips but not vice versa hence why most screw heads on old bikes are chewed up.
Davie lad

Post by Davie lad »

504C5D51-B415-4EED-8B5E-2249A46D756D.jpeg
504C5D51-B415-4EED-8B5E-2249A46D756D.jpeg (685.89 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Bought this today, a handy tool for changing shock absorbers on a Kangoo van this afternoon..
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've got an old Thor hammer with an open end where something once was?

I have a Dremel 3000 which I found in the loft. It's brand new in the box and I've no idea where, or who, it came from? ANyway, I need some cutting discs for pesky bolts, anyone recommend some?
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Silly Car wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:10 am Just bought some 89mm and 152mm PZ2 driver bits, they are made by Saxon and available on Amazon.

I’m not sure whether they are impact bits but they are really useful for getting screws into tight corners.
Silly Car wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:40 pm Indeed, Saxon happen to do PH bits in the same lengths as well
D’oh Saxton!

https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've got an old Thor hammer with an open end where something once was?

I have a Dremel 3000 which I found in the loft. It's brand new in the box and I've no idea where, or who, it came from? ANyway, I need some cutting discs for pesky bolts, anyone recommend some?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:54 pm I need some cutting discs for pesky bolts, anyone recommend some?
Aldi occasionally do an assortment of different "Dremel" bits in a kit, has wire brushes and other spinning grindy polishy bits in. I buy them when I see them as the kit cost about as much as a single proper Dremel bit.
Fibre reinforced ones are better than the thinner ones which are seem to be made from old formica and have a habit of shattering.