Are Trump protests finished?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: Are Trump protests finished?

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 pm Yes, we have the threat of sanctions and trade wars, but if you believe for one second that Trump’s policies kept the Chinese ‘in line’ (any more than he kept NK in line) then you’re kidding yourself.
They haven't been deterred from building their new islands and claim rights over stretches of the Pacific.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:37 pm If the Chinese took Taiwan, militarily there is little the US could do to stop them.
Sadly, I think you are right. They're out there now playing war games.

I am wondering if there is anything the world can do to stop China dominance. And before anyone asks, I don't know what "effect" that has on me personally. I just don't like it.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 pm Presumably that's been twisted around into "Biden allows his Chinese mates to build American projects".
It worked so well for the bridge they had the Chinese supply in SF under Obama
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 pm Presumably that's been twisted around into "Biden allows his Chinese mates to build American projects".
I missed that comment. Yes, there is certainly an element of circumstantial evidence leading to unsubstantiated allegations.

But the fact is, there is an almost overwhelming volume of "circumstance", not the least of which being the Biden mafia's extraordinary fortune and his otherwise hopeless son doing spectacularly huge deals with foreign agencies.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

More good news...
The powerful CA State Water Resources Control Board (comprised of unelected state employees appointed by the governor) have approved new rules and monitoring requirements for winery wastewater that are estimated to cost winemakers $500,000 annually to implement. For small wineries, the cost of compliance will put them out of business. Larger wineries will be able to absorb the extra expense. Through the Plumpjack Portfolio, Governor Newsom owns three wineries which combined are a good sized operation. Much of his competition will succumb to the new regulations.
Newsom properties link: https://www.plumpjack.com/properties

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/small ... r-BB1d2gNU
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:39 pm

"(c) Executive Order 13920 of May 1, 2020 (Securing the United States Bulk-Power System), is hereby suspended for 90 days. The Secretary of Energy and the Director of OMB shall jointly consider whether to recommend that a replacement order be issued."

Biden has rescinded the order which prevented CCP involvement in the US power grid (Bulk-Power System).
I suspect it goes a lot deeper / more subtle than that. I say that because the change is bundled up with a lot of other Executive order / policy updates. It's telling to me that the Biden order REVOKES half a dozen other Trump changes but only SUSPENDS the aforementioned 13290 for 90 days and orders a review.

If you were gonna bother to bury your sneaky order changes into other stuff, why would you go to the effort of revoking everything else outright but explicitly setting up a review - involving an outside body no less - of the one which is supposedly gonna profit you?

Indeed if Biden did nothing else now, the ban would come back into force in a few week's time.

Far from a smoking gun for me I'm afriad.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:37 pm If the Chinese took Taiwan, militarily there is little the US could do to stop them.
Taiwan reckons they would be unlikely to stop the PRC, but they do think they could take out 2/3 of the Chinese military in the process.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:19 pm I suspect it goes a lot deeper / more subtle than that.
I don't know but you're right about it being a subtlety and going a lot deeper.

A negotiation tactic perhaps? See what the CCP come back with? The ties between the dems/Biden and the CCP are quite astoundingly deep. I could fire off a list with spies/foreign agents/FBI investigations etc. but I'm not sure weeksy would approve.
Horse

Post by Horse »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:19 pm I suspect it goes a lot deeper / more subtle than that.
I don't know but you're right about it being a subtlety and going a lot deeper.

A negotiation tactic perhaps? See what the CCP come back with? The ties between the dems/Biden and the CCP are quite astoundingly deep. I could fire off a list with spies/foreign agents/FBI investigations etc. but I'm not sure weeksy would approve.
Look on the bright side: China's GKN currently has a third stake in the UK's Hinckley Point, so if they get into the US to build power stations, it might save development money and time.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Once Beijing Biden gets done reversing all of Trumps EO's they won't have anything to blame Trump for....
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:02 pm Once Beijing Biden gets done reversing all of Trumps EO's they won't have anything to blame Trump for....
So following your logic, as Trump used EOs to reverse lots of Obama’s decisions you’ve nothing to blame Obama for?
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm
wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm If China decide to invade Taiwan what would you imagine any American President, or any flavour, would do about it?
Wars are generally conducted by trade restrictions and economic sanctions so I would expect a firm clamp down. Trump started a trade war with China which has kept the threat of China dominance at bay. He also did the same with Iran which by all accounts is/was working well.

But since Biden has just removed those trade restrictions with China and the sanctions against Iran and is reigniting their Nuclear deal, he's obviously not interested in the politics so much as the personal wealth of his masters.

As others have mentioned, this is unlikely to have a positive impact on the recent peace in the Middle East nor calm down the increasingly aggressive threats from China.
Given the number of Middle Eastern countries involved in the Syrian and Yemen wars, I think the term 'recent peace' is slightly off the mark.

As for Trump pulling out of the nuclear deal and imposing further sanctions against Iran, this has led to Iran producing far more enriched uranium, bringing them a step closer to being able to produce nuclear warheads, and seen the hardliners gain in the elections off the back of perceived US aggression. I'm not sure how this could be described as 'working well'. :wtf:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 pm
DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm Wars are generally conducted by trade restrictions and economic sanctions so I would expect a firm clamp down. Trump started a trade war with China which has kept the threat of China dominance at bay. He also did the same with Iran which by all accounts is/was working well.

But since Biden has just removed those trade restrictions with China and the sanctions against Iran and is reigniting their Nuclear deal, he's obviously not interested in the politics so much as the personal wealth of his masters.

As others have mentioned, this is unlikely to have a positive impact on the recent peace in the Middle East nor calm down the increasingly aggressive threats from China.
No, wars are conducted by soldiers, tanks, airpower and missiles.

Yes, we have the threat of sanctions and trade wars, but if you believe for one second that Trump’s policies kept the Chinese ‘in line’ (any more than he kept NK in line) then you’re kidding yourself.
One thing I'll give Trump credit for is for years NK has been very secretive with no access granted and no camera crews allowed in and no one comes out to talk about the place either. Next thing I know is The Don is standing there shaking Kim Jong-un's hand and being filmed walking round the place. He entered into dialogue with Kimmy Boy and didn't pull any punches either. Regardless of the outcome, he made more inroads than anyone else ever has and that has to be to his credit.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am Regardless of the outcome, he made more inroads than anyone else ever has and that has to be to his credit.
Has he though?

He got a few photo ops for sure. NK are carrying on with their Nuclear programme unabated, their people continue to go hungry and US sanctions are unchanged.

Classic Trump all show and no substance as far as I can see?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:03 am
Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 am Regardless of the outcome, he made more inroads than anyone else ever has and that has to be to his credit.
Has he though?

He got a few photo ops for sure. NK are carrying on with their Nuclear programme unabated, their people continue to go hungry and US sanctions are unchanged.

Classic Trump all show and no substance as far as I can see?
Of course he has. Any negotiations start with dialogue and Trump opened the door for that.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am Of course he has. Any negotiations start with dialogue and Trump opened the door for that.
Contrary to external appearnaces, the US, NK, the UN and China have been doing back and forth negotiations forever. NK is an economic disaster, the nuclear ambitions are just about stamping their feet until they get more aid/sanctions are eased.

Trump just stood in front of the camera from what I can see.
Potter

Post by Potter »

There is a story on the BBC news that Biden really dislikes Facebook and is probably going to clip their wings soon.

The more I read about him the more I actually like him.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am Of course he has. Any negotiations start with dialogue and Trump opened the door for that.
I think it was the other way on - Kim played Trump like a cheap fiddle.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 pm There is a story on the BBC news that Biden really dislikes Facebook and is probably going to clip their wings soon.

Everyone's got it in for big tech having the power to censor people on a whim without being held responsible. The claim they hid behind that they are platforms and not publishers has been blown out of the water by them making editorial descisions on what gets posted.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:57 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 pm There is a story on the BBC news that Biden really dislikes Facebook and is probably going to clip their wings soon.

Everyone's got it in for big tech having the power to censor people on a whim without being held responsible. The claim they hid behind that they are platforms and not publishers has been blown out of the water by them making editorial descisions on what gets posted.
Also the Cambridge Analytics tie-in helping Trump in 2016, a bit of revenge?