Are Trump protests finished?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
wheelnut

Re: Are Trump protests finished?

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Yambo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:45 am Trump didn't start any wars (abroad, not a second US civil war :P ). That has to be a good thing.

I don't expect Biden to be as benevolent. :thumbdown:
He's already talked of sending more troops to various countries. Perhaps he should do something about all the NG troop in DC who are now having to billet in a parking structure.
The numbers are coming of for his first day: 11,000 people lost their jobs in the energy sector owing to his executive orders.
Think of all the jobs that will be created in the green energy sector, got to be better than digging up Alaska.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 pm US Troop build up in Syria underway... here we go...
Well, I looked for a source for that but I could only find links about trump building up troop levels in Syria.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:05 am Think of all the tax payer funded jobs that will be created in the green energy sector, got to be better than energy companies paying their own way
FTFY ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:07 am Well, I looked for a source for that but I could only find links about trump building up troop levels in Syria.
Now Biden's crew are making noises about Afghanistan too... That didn't take long
David

Post by David »

In fairness it is quite obvious what the taliban are up to in afgannystan.....a few troops might dissuade them.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:05 am Think of all the jobs that will be created in China, got to be better than digging up Alaska.
FTFY.

Top of the list of executive orders was to remove the US ban on Chinese energy infrastructure projects. Hunter Biden is deeply embedded in Chinese energy companies. As are the CCP with their millions of spies worldwide.

What did the western world do when Russia invaded the Crimea? Nothing. What will we do if China invades Taiwan? Well it seems pretty clear that Obiden won't do anything. The CCP will realise that and I think it's now or never or should I say sooner rather than later.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

David wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:27 pm In fairness it is quite obvious what the taliban are up to in afgannystan.....a few troops might dissuade them.
It's a lost cause, the Brits knew this back in the 1800's. Never could work out why the fuck they went back with the yanks after the Russians got their ass handed to them.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:20 pm
David wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:27 pm In fairness it is quite obvious what the taliban are up to in afgannystan.....a few troops might dissuade them.
It's a lost cause, the Brits knew this back in the 1800's. Never could work out why the fuck they went back with the yanks after the Russians got their ass handed to them.
I suspect that the yanks thought that Charlie Wilson's Stingers were the deciding factor, but the Brit military must have lost their archives.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:20 pm
Nobody wins in Afghanistan. Not the British; not the Russians; not the Yanks; not the Taliban and not even the Afghans.

Afghanistan is supposedly one country but the lines on the map just encompass a bunch of medieval tribes with modern weapons. Everybody (but mainly Pakistan) should just walk away and let them get on with it. Fuck 'em.
David

Post by David »

In many ways i agree, especially as little girls that get shot in the head end up over here and get a nobel prize......think how muchshutting the door will save the nhs ( and the nobel prize committee).
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:20 pm
Nobody wins in Afghanistan. Not the British; not the Russians; not the Yanks; not the Taliban and not even the Afghans.

Afghanistan is supposedly one country but the lines on the map just encompass a bunch of medieval tribes with modern weapons. Everybody (but mainly Pakistan) should just walk away and let them get on with it. Fuck 'em.
I agree with that, but Pakistan is not a lot better. The bits adjoining Afghanistan are just as tribal and just as medieval.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:20 pm
Afghanistan is supposedly one country but the lines on the map just encompass a bunch of medieval tribes with modern weapons.
Mainly supplied by the US and us.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Afghanistan was always impossible to 'subdue' but it had sort-of settled down in the inter-war years, mainly because the tribes had managed to cobble together alliances over water rights. They still killed each other regularly, but skirmishing rather than wholesale slaughter.

Then the US of A started building them dams, and canals, and helping to irrigate stuff. All very worthy, it helped with starvation, but of course the inevitable result of more water and a different distribution was that all those alliances that took probably 100 years to cobble together just vanished.

And we know the result. The law of unintended consequences..............
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:39 pm FTFY.

Top of the list of executive orders was to remove the US ban on Chinese energy infrastructure projects. Hunter Biden is deeply embedded in Chinese energy companies. As are the CCP with their millions of spies worldwide.

What did the western world do when Russia invaded the Crimea? Nothing. What will we do if China invades Taiwan? Well it seems pretty clear that Obiden won't do anything. The CCP will realise that and I think it's now or never or should I say sooner rather than later.
If China decide to invade Taiwan what would you imagine any American President, or any flavour, would do about it?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:39 pm Top of the list of executive orders was to remove the US ban on Chinese energy infrastructure projects.
Which one was that then?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/22/poli ... index.html

Can't see any in there which would suggest that Biden has opened up America to previously banned Chinese energy projects. In fact I can't find very much which shows Chinese companies are currently prevented from investing in American energy projects - except for in military applications, which is done on security grounds and which Biden hasn't changed?

Perhaps you're referring to the fact Biden has revoked Trump's executive order 13766? That order was put in place to reduce the amount of review and consultation required before starting new energy projects - i.e. making it so there's less red tape before digging for coal. Biden's now reversed that. That order did state that new projects should use American materials, so maybe that's what you're referring to?

EDIT: At a guess, I'm assuming it's the second. 13776 prevents any company that's not American from building new pipelines in America. By revoking that order, Chinese companies would be free to build pipelines in America. That somewhat overlooks the fact that by revoking that order, Biden has increased the difficulty of ANY company building certain energy infrastructure in the US, not just Chinese firms. Plus the minor detail that the pipelines being proposed have been put on hold anyway by a different Biden order. Presumably that's been twisted around into "Biden allows his Chinese mates to build American projects".
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm If China decide to invade Taiwan what would you imagine any American President, or any flavour, would do about it?
Wars are generally conducted by trade restrictions and economic sanctions so I would expect a firm clamp down. Trump started a trade war with China which has kept the threat of China dominance at bay. He also did the same with Iran which by all accounts is/was working well.

But since Biden has just removed those trade restrictions with China and the sanctions against Iran and is reigniting their Nuclear deal, he's obviously not interested in the politics so much as the personal wealth of his masters.

As others have mentioned, this is unlikely to have a positive impact on the recent peace in the Middle East nor calm down the increasingly aggressive threats from China.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

The land reforms agenda is kicking off..

https://benitolink.com/assemblymembers- ... uirements/

Under the guise of being friendly to, and looking out for farmers who will lose their farms to the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act, a new California bill, AB 252, aims to help convert land to biodiversity conservation, recreation, pollinator habitat, cattle grazing, a spot for migrating birds, and other less water-intensive uses. This, they say, will provide economic and environmental benefits to ensure farming families can continue to thrive (i.e. scrape by). The choices for landowners are either own prime farmland that is worthless without water, or accept a few bucks from government and follow the requirements set forth in AB 252 for managing their private property. There are very few crops that flourish by encouraging birds and animals to set up homes on farmland. Think E. coli. There's also a reason farmers use bird cannons...
All this while 80% of the fresh water in Califailure is allowed to flow to the ocean (or actually gets pumped to the ocean)
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm Wars are generally conducted by trade restrictions and economic sanctions so I would expect a firm clamp down. Trump started a trade war with China which has kept the threat of China dominance at bay. He also did the same with Iran which by all accounts is/was working well.

But since Biden has just removed those trade restrictions with China and the sanctions against Iran and is reigniting their Nuclear deal, he's obviously not interested in the politics so much as the personal wealth of his masters.

As others have mentioned, this is unlikely to have a positive impact on the recent peace in the Middle East nor calm down the increasingly aggressive threats from China.
No, wars are conducted by soldiers, tanks, airpower and missiles.

Yes, we have the threat of sanctions and trade wars, but if you believe for one second that Trump’s policies kept the Chinese ‘in line’ (any more than he kept NK in line) then you’re kidding yourself.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm
wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:51 pm If China decide to invade Taiwan what would you imagine any American President, or any flavour, would do about it?
Wars are generally conducted by trade restrictions and economic sanctions so I would expect a firm clamp down. Trump started a trade war with China which has kept the threat of China dominance at bay. He also did the same with Iran which by all accounts is/was working well.

Wars are sometimes started by trade restrictions and economic sanctions, Japan entering WW2 was a result of coal and materials sanctions by the US and backing them into a corner (along with Battleship restrictions which were the WMD of the time).

China has stolen a lot of US military tech, maybe not this decade but in the next expect parity. It is also planning and more importantly practicing island assaults whilst the US Marines have decided on holding and defending islands (like that worked so well for the Japanese after 1943...). PLAAF are building long range aircraft (engine tech is behind the US) and long range weapons systems to kill AWACs and Tankers along with hypersonic ship killers (both things the US and the West seem to be lagging behind in).

If the Chinese took Taiwan, militarily there is little the US could do to stop them.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:02 pm
DEADPOOL wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:39 pm Top of the list of executive orders was to remove the US ban on Chinese energy infrastructure projects.
Which one was that then?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/22/poli ... index.html

Can't see any in there which would suggest that Biden has opened up America to previously banned Chinese energy projects. In fact I can't find very much which shows Chinese companies are currently prevented from investing in American energy projects - except for in military applications, which is done on security grounds and which Biden hasn't changed?

Perhaps you're referring to the fact Biden has revoked Trump's executive order 13766? That order was put in place to reduce the amount of review and consultation required before starting new energy projects - i.e. making it so there's less red tape before digging for coal. Biden's now reversed that. That order did state that new projects should use American materials, so maybe that's what you're referring to?

EDIT: At a guess, I'm assuming it's the second. 13776 prevents any company that's not American from building new pipelines in America. By revoking that order, Chinese companies would be free to build pipelines in America. That somewhat overlooks the fact that by revoking that order, Biden has increased the difficulty of ANY company building certain energy infrastructure in the US, not just Chinese firms. Plus the minor detail that the pipelines being proposed have been put on hold anyway by a different Biden order. Presumably that's been twisted around into "Biden allows his Chinese mates to build American projects".
Took me some time to find it too. From here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... te-crisis/

"(c) Executive Order 13920 of May 1, 2020 (Securing the United States Bulk-Power System), is hereby suspended for 90 days. The Secretary of Energy and the Director of OMB shall jointly consider whether to recommend that a replacement order be issued."

Biden has rescinded the order which prevented CCP involvement in the US power grid (Bulk-Power System).