Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Kneerly Down

Re: Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 pm However:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-proof-o ... your-goods

So we're doing the same, it seems. I have no idea of the costs involved but presumably all the stuff we flog to the EU will have to increase in price to cover the increase.
Don't know where the Euro 75 cost comes in, although the Continentals, with their Roman Law, do rather rely on Notary Publics, and I can see them charging Euro 75 for a signature.

With our lovely UK Common Law we can usually, and I think also in this instance, get away with just our own signatures to the docs, or even no signature if you're a regular.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:33 pm With our lovely UK Common Law we can usually, and I think also in this instance, get away with just our own signatures to the docs, or even no signature if you're a regular.
What, no red tape, inspectors, regulations, queues, triplicate copies, etc.?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

The govt seems to have found a solution :mrgreen:

British businesses that export to the continent are being encouraged by government trade advisers to set up separate companies inside the EU in order to get around extra charges, paperwork and taxes resulting from Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... shop-in-eu
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:15 pm The govt seems to have found a solution :mrgreen:

British businesses that export to the continent are being encouraged by government trade advisers to set up separate companies inside the EU in order to get around extra charges, paperwork and taxes resulting from Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... shop-in-eu
Roughly what my employers have already done (and done previously for operating in other countries outside of the EU).
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So much for cutting red tape and being better for the UK economy.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm
Absolutely this.... I could have potentially saved £45 buying the new exhaust from Italy (assuming i didn't get hit for charges) but instead i bought from the UK distributor.
Good for you, it was a bit more expensive but you've helped keep someone in a UK job.

That's a bloke with a UK business that has benefited from Brexit, in this instance anyway.
I'm sure the moaners will be along soon to tell us all how terrible it is.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am
Absolutely this.... I could have potentially saved £45 buying the new exhaust from Italy (assuming i didn't get hit for charges) but instead i bought from the UK distributor.
Good for you, it was a bit more expensive but you've helped keep someone in a UK job.

That's a bloke with a UK business that has benefited from Brexit, in this instance anyway.
People had these choices before (IIRC a common recommendation was for buying Rukka or Daytona from a place in Germany).
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:53 am
Potter wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:33 am

People had these choices before (IIRC a common recommendation was for buying Rukka or Daytona from a place in Germany).
Indeed they did and 99% of the time i chose that option then too. I have never been into the plan of trying it on in a shop and then going home to buy from Germany cheaper. I could have done that with my Richa 1 piece i bought in Sept for trackdays, but i'd spent an hour in the store trying suits on and must have tried 30 suits on, the least i could do was buy it in there.
Horse

Post by Horse »

T4 cameras in Newbury had dual pricing. If you wanted advice and service in the shop (and, of course, instant 'walk out the door with product' gratification) then prices were slightly higher than those on their web site.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've never done the "try it on in the shop and buy it online" thing for far more British reasons. I find it too awkward. :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've always shopped around for the best prices, be that from the UK or Europe. So now the market place has changed, i'll just have to support UK businesses only. No biggie really and further down the line I suspect it'll be a very good for thing for UK PLC? Who knows, we may even start manufacturing stuff again!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:33 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:18 pm However:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-proof-o ... your-goods

So we're doing the same, it seems. I have no idea of the costs involved but presumably all the stuff we flog to the EU will have to increase in price to cover the increase.
Don't know where the Euro 75 cost comes in, although the Continentals, with their Roman Law, do rather rely on Notary Publics, and I can see them charging Euro 75 for a signature.

With our lovely UK Common Law we can usually, and I think also in this instance, get away with just our own signatures to the docs, or even no signature if you're a regular.
British jobs created:

the number of vets or food-competent certifying officers now trained to issue the European health certificates had risen “from 600 to 1,500 and this number continues to grow”.

British jobs lost:

A commercial cheesemaker in Cheshire has been left with a £250,000 Brexit hole in his business as a direct result of the UK’s departure from the EU on 1 January.

Simon Spurrell said he has lost 20% of his sales overnight after discovering he needed to provide a £180 health certificate on retail orders to consumers in the EU, including those buying personal gift packs of his award-winning wax-wrapped cheese worth £25 or £30.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-hole
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

There'll always be winners and losers, I'm sure we could find 100/100 of each without too much effort.

It was never going to be seamless for everyone, especially with Covid too
Horse

Post by Horse »

I would like to hear of the 'wins' but, so far, they each seem to be accompanied by 'lose'.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I think the wins will take longer to see as it will be increased turnover etc which may take a year
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 am I would like to hear of the 'wins' but, so far, they each seem to be accompanied by 'lose'.
There are those that think that if someone wins then someone else must lose.
And there are those that think that your financial situation is created purely by human endeavour and then it's all up to you.

It's up to you to choose to win or lose.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:08 am
Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 am I would like to hear of the 'wins' but, so far, they each seem to be accompanied by 'lose'.
There are those that think that if someone wins then someone else must lose.
And there are those that think that your financial situation is created purely by human endeavour and then it's all up to you.

It's up to you to choose to win or lose.
So how might I influence the outcomes of Brexit? What wins have I overlooked and should endevour to have a creatively positive view of?

However, WRT to mental outlook, you're in a relatively unusual financial position of being not just comfortable but also have investments and disposable income. With that in mind, you might have slightly rosy view on how the wins and losses might affect many people. Yes, they could work harder, have paid attention at school, yada yada, but it's never going to be possible for everyone to be 'successful'. Most people will be 'average'. Not everyone will be a millionaire, Rodney, until a million is worth relatively nothing.

Average is not to be rubbished, because that's what most people are.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 pm
So how might I influence the outcomes of Brexit? What wins have I overlooked and should endevour to have a creatively positive view of?

However, WRT to mental outlook, you're in a relatively unusual financial position of being not just comfortable but also have investments and disposable income. With that in mind, you might have slightly rosy view on how the wins and losses might affect many people. Yes, they could work harder, have paid attention at school, yada yada, but it's never going to be possible for everyone to be 'successful'. Most people will be 'average'. Not everyone will be a millionaire, Rodney, until a million is worth relatively nothing.

Average is not to be rubbished, because that's what most people are.
I've got no energy to convince you that life isn't shit and everything is a problem to complain about.

In terms of Brexit, I can sympathise with some of the challenges, it's not what I voted for and it's not done me any favours yet, but it's an ill wind that blows no one any good.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Why on Earth do you say I think life is shit?

What do you think you know to make a statement like that? :crazy:

Edit some background:
- I have a family that I'm proud of
- I have a job that I enjoy, that pays reasonably, that makes a difference to people
- I have an employer and colleagues who supported me through my recent health issues
- I have a home (a fairly 'average' house) that is comfortable for us
- I can't think of any 'stuff' that I particularly need or want - again, I'm comfortable

If I was to want for anything, it would be for a garage / workshop (a bigger shed was planned for 2020, but obviously wasn't a priority and, actually, the ground space ended up being otherwise used) and another couple of spare rooms in the house, so Filly could have an office and we would also have a guest bedroom (I'm using the existing room as my office) - but under current circumstances it wouldn't be used anyway.

So there you are, tell me why I think it's shit.

However, some people are struggling, for a variety of reasons.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:02 pm Why on Earth do you say I think life is shit?

What do you think you know to make a statement like that? :crazy:
This is called I'm ok, you're ok.
You mostly post in a "You're ok, but I'm not ok" context meaning that you think I'm ok 'because of stuff' and you're not ok 'because of stuff', and then you list out assumptions that you think make me ok. Then you compare them to your list of stuff to justify to yourself that you're not ok.

So you've made some fairly inaccurate assumptions about me which enable you to play the victim and not be ok.

Read the book.