Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Taipan

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Taipan »

I certainly get a need to vaccinate more people and especially get to the younger, quicker! But is it okay to leave the second jab so long, or will its efficacy drop right off? I guess no one actually has the data, but for the manufacturer to express concerns is a tad worrying, their profits not withstanding...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm I certainly get a need to vaccinate more people and especially get to the younger, quicker! But is it okay to leave the second jab so long, or will its efficacy drop right off? I guess no one actually has the data, but for the manufacturer to express concerns is a tad worrying, their profits not withstanding...
The bit in bold would make me question their 'concerns'. I get that maybe they are actually concerned but I've become so jaded with politicians and big companies that I am wary about everything they say!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gedge wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm
millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 pm I hope you're right, but I'd be willing to have a bet (£10 to a charity of choice?) that they don't ever get above 200,000 injections administered per day...
Latest figure 324,000 vaccinations in one day ..I know I don’t accept bets, but feel free to make a donation anyway ..
They passed 400k yesterday...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:42 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm... for the manufacturer to express concerns is a tad worrying, their profits not withstanding...
The bit in bold would make me question their 'concerns'. I get that maybe they are actually concerned but I've become so jaded with politicians and big companies that I am wary about everything they say!!
How could they make more profit from the same quantity of jabs? [ie 2 jobs given to fewer people, or 1 jab to twice as many]
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Especially when the government has already ordered the jabs either way.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Horse wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:26 pm
Taipan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm... for the manufacturer to express concerns is a tad worrying, their profits not withstanding...
How could they make more profit from the same quantity of jabs? [ie 2 jobs given to fewer people, or 1 jab to twice as many]
True. I guess its almost a set amount eventually..
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:26 pm
Good point!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll go back to my crochet!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
neilf

Post by neilf »

[/quote]

The best ever response on a motorbike forum :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

neilf wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:58 pm
The best ever response on a motorbike forum :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
We've had about 10 cms of snow (at least) today and more last night - you aren't gonna get much about bikes from here for another few months!! LOL :banana-wrench: :banana-wrench:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Docca wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm The AZ vaccine is flooring more of our staff here. One of our directors is currently in hospital following theirs- probably unrelated, but just collapsed 2 days after.
That really doesn't sound good.

Neither does extending the gap between doses, sounds like we are going out on a limb as a country. But you got to worry where we'll be if we rush out first jabs and mess it up. It's all well and good crowing about charts where we are well ahead of vaccinating people if we get it wrong and waste it. Better surely to stick to the tested manufacturers tests
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Pfizer jab today, zero ill effects do far, watch this space.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

All this because someone bummed a monkey in Haiti. :x Or was that AIDS?
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:18 pm All this because someone bummed a monkey in Haiti. :x Or was that AIDS?
IIRC it was Iccy :)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 pm
Docca wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 pm The AZ vaccine is flooring more of our staff here. One of our directors is currently in hospital following theirs- probably unrelated, but just collapsed 2 days after.

Neither does extending the gap between doses, sounds like we are going out on a limb as a country. But you got to worry where we'll be if we rush out first jabs and mess it up. It's all well and good crowing about charts where we are well ahead of vaccinating people if we get it wrong and waste it. Better surely to stick to the tested manufacturers tests
It’s not like Boris has unilaterally made this decision a whim.

Andrew Pollard, the head of the Oxford Vaccine Group and chief investigator into the trial of this vaccine, said that extending the gap between vaccines made biological sense. “Generally, a longer gap between vaccine doses leads to a better immune response, with the second dose causing a better boost. (With HPV vaccine for girls, for example, the gap is a year and gives better responses than a one month gap.) From the Oxford vaccine trials, there is 70% protection after the first dose up to the second dose, and the immune response was about three times greater after the second dose when the second dose was delayed, comparing second dose after four weeks versus second dose after 2-3 months,” he told The BMJ, referring to the MHRA’s summary of product characteristics.11

“With the Pfizer vaccine, there are no published data comparing shorter and longer gaps between doses because all participants had the second dose at 3-4 weeks. However, the biology is straightforward and will be the same as with all vaccines . . . The immune system remembers the first dose and will respond whether the later dose is at three weeks or three months.”

In a statement the British Society for Immunology said, “Most immunologists would agree that delaying a second ‘booster’ dose of a protein antigen vaccine (such as the two approved covid-19 vaccines) by eight weeks would be unlikely to have a negative effect on the overall immune response post-boost. We also would not expect any specific safety issues to arise for the individual due to delaying the second dose, other than an increased potential risk of disease during the extended period due to lowered protection.”
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The MMR gap is several years innit. In fact most childhood ones are spaced out by months and years aren't they?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am The MMR gap is several years innit. In fact most childhood ones are spaced out by months and years aren't they?
Presumably after validation. This current one has been tested at one interval and deployed at another.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My point is that the different gap for this Covid jab isn't an arbitrary political decision. Its got valid science behind it.
Nobody knows that it is better or worse, but there's a lot of valid evidence that it will be OK.

In times like these you can't wait for the approved 100% certainty route and everything has to be done on balance.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Will be interesting once the uk is vaccinated - and France is still trying to bumble its way out of its current situation of doing fuck all, and having a population who don’t trust their Drs enough to take the vaccine, whether the UK will have the balls to return the favour and ban all French from the UK without a test + isolation etc. I do hope so.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:00 am Will be interesting once the uk is vaccinated - and France is still trying to bumble its way out of its current situation of doing fuck all, and having a population who don’t trust their Drs enough to take the vaccine, whether the UK will have the balls to return the favour and ban all French from the UK without a test + isolation etc. I do hope so.
It's Portimao that's my thoughts as you can imagine. Be great if the UK does well with vaccination, but sod all use to me if Portugal is a shit show along with south America as we won't be allowed to fly there
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:37 pm
Supermofo wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 pm

It’s not like Boris has unilaterally made this decision a whim.

Andrew Pollard, the head of the Oxford Vaccine Group and chief investigator into the trial of this vaccine, said that extending the gap between vaccines made biological sense. “Generally, a longer gap between vaccine doses leads to a better immune response, with the second dose causing a better boost. (With HPV vaccine for girls, for example, the gap is a year and gives better responses than a one month gap.) From the Oxford vaccine trials, there is 70% protection after the first dose up to the second dose, and the immune response was about three times greater after the second dose when the second dose was delayed, comparing second dose after four weeks versus second dose after 2-3 months,” he told The BMJ, referring to the MHRA’s summary of product characteristics.11

“With the Pfizer vaccine, there are no published data comparing shorter and longer gaps between doses because all participants had the second dose at 3-4 weeks. However, the biology is straightforward and will be the same as with all vaccines . . . The immune system remembers the first dose and will respond whether the later dose is at three weeks or three months.”

In a statement the British Society for Immunology said, “Most immunologists would agree that delaying a second ‘booster’ dose of a protein antigen vaccine (such as the two approved covid-19 vaccines) by eight weeks would be unlikely to have a negative effect on the overall immune response post-boost. We also would not expect any specific safety issues to arise for the individual due to delaying the second dose, other than an increased potential risk of disease during the extended period due to lowered protection.”
I dont think he did and there is certainly science behind it. But my worry is we are the only country/science doing it, coupled with Israel saying the vaccine efficiency as far as they have found thus far is below the effectiveness claimed by Pfizer. Especially after 1 dose.

I've read some other countries are considering spacing out the vaccine but I think we are the only ones actually doing it currently. Thats my concern, when your the only one doing it that suggests there's a bit of a gamble to it