Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

Post by cheb »

It reads to me like they were using a loophole to good effect. Whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on whether you like the entity that doing it.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Kneerly Down wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:56 pm This isn't about economies of scale. It is about tax avoidance, that has been closed as a result if Brexit.
Make your mind up
Kneerly Down wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:21 pm One of his larger competitors
Kneerly Down wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:39 pm If you are a high volume manufacturer...

The UK having pretty competitively priced bulk mail/parcel delivery probably helped the big boys also.
Kneerly Down wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:33 am I don't blame consumers for choosing the best value, but when that 'value' is established by the ability of a multinational to avoid charging VAT that the smaller domestic firm has to charge, that is not a good thing for the country.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

cheb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:27 am It reads to me like they were using a loophole to good effect. Whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on whether you like the entity that doing it.
It's a bad thing if Apple, Costa, MP, hedge fund manager does it.
It's a good thing if it means your black magic are cheaper.

I think... :think:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

cheb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:27 am It reads to me like they were using a loophole to good effect. Whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on whether you like the entity that doing it.
It sounds like companies here now have a good loophole, they can import raw materials at a lower tax rate and then sell to the EU without extra tax.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 amDidn't you say it was just being paid elsewhere, rather than in the UK? That's not avoidance. Paying less tax in a legal manner sounds like good business sense.
I've never denied it made good business sense.
Even if it were something 'we' could do though, we wouldn't, as shifting product backwards and forwards just to avail a tax loophole is not the right thing to do from our viewpoint....not everything is about the bottom line.
It was a perverse system though and I'm glad it's no longer available.
Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 amPresumably that company's product is now more expensive as a result?
Not currently, they'll be taking a smaller margin though.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Not really.
I don't think it is to 'good effect' if food is transported hundreds of miles out of the country, and then hundreds of miles back in for no reason other than the tax loophole itself.

I didn't think that would be such a controversial point.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:52 am I don't think it is to 'good effect' if food is transported hundreds of miles out of the country, and then hundreds of miles back in for no reason other than the tax loophole itself.

- Ethically bad to transport stuff to minimise tax? Well, yes, but. Businesses exist to make profit.
- Unfair advantage to the industry big boys because they can? Perhaps, but they probably look at the little boys and point out their relatively small overheads (dividends to shareholders, maintaining all of the corporate overheads, etc).
- Environmentally bad? Yup? Although the raw materials are presumably not locally grown, so high food miles for a non essential / luxury product.
- Money away from the UK exchequer? Seemingly previously paid elsewhere, at a rate low enough to cover all of the costs incurred, so a result of the UK's choices on rates applied?

Don't think anyone's arguing with any of that.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:30 amMake your mind up
It's been nearly 20 years since I did my MBA and nearly 30 since I did my accountancy, but EoS is in relation to production being made cheaper due to increased volume.
This mechanism didn't make production cheaper. Indeed 'production' (if you were to include the extra cost of shipping outside the UK before sending it back to the UK) cost increased.

From a technical perspective I don't think adding operating costs to avoid having to charge UK VAT is an example of 'economy of scale'.

In any event, from a 'Brexit being good for the UK' I think less being paid on activities outside the UK and more being paid to the UK exchequer is, on balance, good for the UK, which was the question I originally posited this to.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm...so a result of the UK's choices on rates applied?
The UK didn't have a choice on rate applied or the conditions of it being imposed, as part of the EU - at least, not sufficient latitude of choice.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm- Environmentally bad? Yup? Although the raw materials are presumably not locally grown, so high food miles for a non essential / luxury product.
For the filled chocolates, most of the raw materials, other than the cacao are Scottish grown/produced, some of it from the next glen along. Part of the company ethos is using, where possible, the most local produce and reducing environmental impact, while still providing luxury chocolates.

And since Brexit the chocolate being used is also processed in the UK. :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:24 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm...so a result of the UK's choices on rates applied?
The UK didn't have a choice on rate applied or the conditions of it being imposed, as part of the EU - at least, not sufficient latitude of choice.
Sorry, I misunderstood your explanation, thought you were saying that they reduced costs by exporting and paying VAT abroad at a lower rate than here. If ot was the same(ish) rate, then I don't see where the saving came from.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 pm And since Brexit the chocolate being used is also processed in the UK. :)
But still transported around the world pre-processing. That's what I had in mind.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 pm Sorry, I misunderstood your explanation, thought you were saying that they reduced costs by exporting and paying VAT abroad at a lower rate than here. If ot was the same(ish) rate, then I don't see where the saving came from.
Sent to Switzerland. Switzerland has IIRC 2.5% VAT rate.
Product then came into UK under the Low Value Consignment Relief exemption.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 pm But still transported around the world pre-processing. That's what I had in mind.
Climate change needs to progress apace before we can realistically grow it here! ;)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:16 pm
slowsider wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:30 amMake your mind up
It's been nearly 20 years since I did my MBA and nearly 30 since I did my accountancy, but EoS is in relation to production being made cheaper due to increased volume.
This mechanism didn't make production cheaper. Indeed 'production' (if you were to include the extra cost of shipping outside the UK before sending it back to the UK) cost increased.

From a technical perspective I don't think adding operating costs to avoid having to charge UK VAT is an example of 'economy of scale'.

In any event, from a 'Brexit being good for the UK' I think less being paid on activities outside the UK and more being paid to the UK exchequer is, on balance, good for the UK, which was the question I originally posited this to.
It's an external factor, and would be available to your lad if his production quantities were sufficient.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 pm Sorry, I misunderstood your explanation, thought you were saying that they reduced costs by exporting and paying VAT abroad at a lower rate than here. If ot was the same(ish) rate, then I don't see where the saving came from.
Sent to Switzerland. Switzerland has IIRC 2.5% VAT rate.
Product then came into UK under the Low Value Consignment Relief exemption.
Ah, that makes sense. Swiss chocolate is sooooo much tastier ;)

Sorry, another question: was it a British company doing this, or a foreign-owned one?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Kneerly Down wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:52 am
Not really.
I don't think it is to 'good effect' if food is transported hundreds of miles out of the country, and then hundreds of miles back in for no reason other than the tax loophole itself.

Granted, I'd rephrase it as profitable effect.

This isn't aimed at you BTW, just an observation from me. To it's sort of amusing when the producers of luxury and frivolous products take the moral high ground, The Body Shop under Anita Roddick come to mind. Lots of noise about how saintly they were, but still in the business of making women feel they need to buy something to make themselves look attractive. Anti cellulite cream anyone? No products tested on animals right enough, but lets not talk about individual ingredients that have been. Yes that's some time ago but there'll be a modern equivalent.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:28 pm It's an external factor, and would be available to your lad if his production quantities were sufficient.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pmSorry, another question: was it a British company doing this, or a foreign-owned one?
UK, mostly
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:44 am It sounds like companies here now have a good loophole, they can import raw materials at a lower tax rate and then sell to the EU without extra tax.
Only if you process it such that it changes tariff classification, otherwise it'd fail the rule of origin test.