PPE standards post-Brexit

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

PPE standards post-Brexit

Post by Hot_Air »

Now that the Brexit transition is complete, we have Government advice about Designated Standards for PPE. Exciting news! Now I can see why it was worth all the hullabaloo about sovereignty.
Designated standards: PPE :banana-wrench:

I haven't read 'em :o and so don't know what if anything relates to motorcyclists' PPE. But now that we have regained our sovereignty, I thought others might know what's happening with the PPE standards for motorcycle clobber?
Taff

Re: PPE standards post-Brexit

Post by Taff »

virtually nothing, if anything at all will have changed in the international standards other that ownersip from EU to UK.

The rate of change of these things are (IME) glacial at the best of times.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The standards will be set by the biggest market.
Basically the EU has said that tariffs will have to be paid on goods that don't pass EU standards, if they exceed them then roberts yer mothers brother innit.

I'm not entirely sure how good bike clothing standards are anyway...
Skub

Post by Skub »

I don't believe I've ever checked to see what safety rating any piece of bike gear had,I just bought what I liked/fitted well and was comfy.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
crust

Post by crust »

Firstly you'll notice the CE change to UKCA, then over time you'll notice the garments have the strength of tissue paper as government apoint their mates to various roles, think track and trace app.

You really want to be protected by the same people who set the Grenfell safety standards.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm I don't believe I've ever checked to see what safety rating any piece of bike gear had
You didn't watch @The Spin Doctor's interview with Dr Chris Hurren, did you? You need to sit in the corner and think about why you've been a very naughty boy. Spin's Elevenses videos are a vital part of your home schooling :)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

crust wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 pm Firstly you'll notice the CE change to UKCA, then over time you'll notice the garments have the strength of tissue paper as government apoint their mates to various roles, think track and trace app.

You really want to be protected by the same people who set the Grenfell safety standards.
Depends on whether or not the manufacturers can be arsed to have a specific line of products 'just' for the UK made up cheaply in North Korea/Philippines/Malaysia (wherever the work force is cheapest this year).

I'd say we're more likely to see the 'big' names just not bother with supplying the UK.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:50 am
Skub wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm I don't believe I've ever checked to see what safety rating any piece of bike gear had
You didn't watch @The Spin Doctor's interview with Dr Chris Hurren, did you? You need to sit in the corner and think about why you've been a very naughty boy. Spin's Elevenses videos are a vital part of your home schooling :)
Oops.

Mistakenly posted in staying alive. Apologies.

*backs out carefully,looking both ways...
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Your marking sheet, written report and points to practice sheet will be posted to you.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:04 pm
Oops.

Don't forget to look over your shoulder as well!!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If you want to watch the interview with Dr Chris Hurren, as he talks about testing clothing and the MotoCAP rating system, you'll find it here:

The Spin Doctor

I can also recommend my chats with Paul Varnsverry and Kate Jennings too.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@The Spin Doctor Its appears someone at Klim has been watching your chat with Paul Varnsverry :)

https://www.klim.com/Badlands-Pro-A3-Jacket-4101-000

It isn't "the first ever textile motorcycle garment to earn a CE AAA rating" because Hideout beat them to it by about a year. And the price is salty! But let's hope it prompts competition and innovation, so we eventually see more affordable AAA clobber instead of all the A-rated crap.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Klim were advertising 'biomotion' retroreflective markings, ignoring the 'motion' bit :)

Edit: still do: "BIOMOTION RECOGNITION"
The Spin Doctor

Hmm.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Good article.

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/buying- ... -clothing/

Intro:

Online shopping for a cool new motorcycle jacket or some sturdy-looking new motorcycle gloves is easier than ever. But what are you really buying?

Attractive websites promise low prices and world-wide shipping, and all you have to do is ‘click to order’. However, a closer look at websites that sell ‘motorcycle gear’, shows that for a growing number of them it seems common practice to fool the consumer (you!) into buying clothing that is not really fit for motorcycling purposes. So, unless you are buying from a known and trusted website, please read on and make sure they cannot fool you.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

It me me wander onto this link, which is also interesting. Fully self-driving cars might be decades away.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm It me me wander onto this link, which is also interesting. Fully self-driving cars might be decades away.
How about even 'never'?

Let's ask someone who 's been working towards that aim for several years.

Fully autonomous cars for passenger use are ”many years away” and “maybe never” at a stage where they can be used for passenger journeys. Experts have warned “everything is restricted” and a firm date for when driverless cars could be on roads was not “black and white”.

Graeme Smith, consortium leader for Project Endeavour and senior vice-president at Oxbotica said there are some areas where autonomous technology can not operate.

Speaking to Fleet News, he said: “When most people think about autonomy they think about passenger cars and, in reality, that’s many years away, maybe 10 or 15, maybe never.

“We are a long, long way away from any vehicle that’s able to be autonomous anywhere in the world at any time.

"Just because a vehicle can drive on the public road doesn’t mean it can drive on a construction site or a mine or under the sea.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I see you've reinforced the view in the post I didn't actually link to!
Here it is:
https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/self-dr ... torcycles/
Horse

Post by Horse »

Not only reinforced it, did it in the PPE thread rather than the self-driving cars thread :D