Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

Post by cheb »

I find it difficult to believe that the fishermen are complaining, they are normally such positive stoical types.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

moth wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm Or maybe it means that what's left of the British manufacturing industries will feck off abroad too. Followed closely by the foreign owned car industries that have plants here.

:)
Move operations abroad? Like Aaron Banks moving his business over to the EU?
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Just wait until people who go to the EU for a holiday (when travel is allowed) only to find they can only bring back 200 fags.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Whysub wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:57 pm Just wait until people who go to the EU for a holiday (when travel is allowed) only to find they can only bring back 200 fags.
Oh well, every cloud has a silver lining eh?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

moth wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm
Potter wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm
Lutin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 pm
Whoever thought that leaving the EU would have consequences?
Everyone knew it would.
EU countries tempted a lot of UK manufacturing companies to leave the UK and set up there. In some cases devastating the local economy because generations of people worked in the factories. Ingersol-Rand left Hindley Green after many many decades, some families had three generations of family working there at the same time. But it all ended when the EU made it very attractive for these companies to head over to Eastern Europe and manufacture their stuff in modern factories made with EU grants and pay cheaper wages.

Maybe this move will mean UK people now start to spend UK money in the UK.
And if the products aren't available in the UK then hopefully UK industry might rise to the challenge and re-start UK manufacturing.
Or maybe it means that what's left of the British manufacturing industries will feck off abroad too. Followed closely by the foreign owned car industries that have plants here.

:)
We may see the rebirth of British Leyland! 8-)

:lol:
demographic

Post by demographic »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm We may see the rebirth of British Leyland! 8-)

Or is it that every silver lining bas a cloud, I can never remember which way round it is.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm

Electric vehicles by Joe Lucas :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm

Electric vehicles by Joe Lucas :)
A whole new interpretation of 'internal combustion vehicles'?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Asian Boss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:24 pm
The law is kind of busy.

That's why stout and patriotic English yeomen will do some defending too. Statue defenders - hoooooooooooooooo!

Perhaps there is an irony in that the defending may occur after the consumption of numerous pints of strong, continental lager.
I was sitting here wondering how to reply and I genuinely just burst out laughing, you went from "Hey guys, take care because of the potential of increased import fees" to (without blinking) "Those twenty toothless idiots standing defending a statue in their vests have stolen my future" :lol:
You even got a like for it.

You've cheered me right up :lol:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 am
Asian Boss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:24 pm
The law is kind of busy.

That's why stout and patriotic English yeomen will do some defending too. Statue defenders - hoooooooooooooooo!

Perhaps there is an irony in that the defending may occur after the consumption of numerous pints of strong, continental lager.
I was sitting here wondering how to reply and I genuinely just burst out laughing, you went from "Hey guys, take care because of the potential of increased import fees" to (without blinking) "Those twenty toothless idiots standing defending a statue in their vests have stolen my future" :lol:
You even got a like for it.

You've cheered me right up :lol:
I don't recall suggesting they'd stolen mine nor anyone's future.

I simply commended their robust approach and alcoholic intake.

:thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Asian Boss wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am
I don't recall suggesting they'd stolen mine nor anyone's future.

I simply commended their robust approach and alcoholic intake.

:thumbup:
And I bet they get up to a canny bit of twoc'ing and queer bashing when they're not out defending statues :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:57 pm Just wait until people who go to the EU for a holiday (when travel is allowed) only to find they can only bring back 200 fags.
It's only ever been 200 fags from here.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

I wonder why this is not being reported by the BBC - Hauliers protest in London over Brexit export chaos

More than 20 shellfish trucks were parked on roads near Number 10 Downing Street and the British parliament in central London to protest against post-Brexit bureaucracy that has stopped them exporting to the European Union.

Trucks with slogans such as 'Brexit carnage' and 'incompetent government destroying shellfish industry' parked close to Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Downing Street office.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Lutin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:39 am I wonder why this is not being reported by the BBC - Hauliers protest in London over Brexit export chaos

More than 20 shellfish trucks were parked on roads near Number 10 Downing Street and the British parliament in central London to protest against post-Brexit bureaucracy that has stopped them exporting to the European Union.

Trucks with slogans such as 'Brexit carnage' and 'incompetent government destroying shellfish industry' parked close to Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Downing Street office.
Do you really!

Well, I wonder why you didn’t hear about it on the same BBC news report as I did, 45 minutes ago.

You bloody fool.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am
Lutin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:39 am I wonder why this is not being reported by the BBC - Hauliers protest in London over Brexit export chaos

Do you really!

Well, I wonder why you didn’t hear about it on the same BBC news report as I did, 45 minutes ago.

You bloody fool.
Easy Tiger
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:52 am

Do you really!

You bloody fool.
Easy Tiger

Grrr!
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Do you really!

You bloody fool.
Ok, maybe I should have stated that at the time it wasn't being reported on the BBC News website. It is now - as of 16 minutes ago.

That better?
Taff

Post by Taff »

Taff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:20 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:10 pm ndeed matey. I don't know how up to date that bit is... i'll be really curious to see how you get on.

I was debating an exhaust for the XSR but would be coming from Italy and didn't want to risk it.
I've just emailed asking them if I should be charged any fees by their courier, and what are my rights to reject the order if I am. The order hasn't been shipped yet.
Their website has been updated to include brexit as the bit quoted in my post is UK seperate from the EU

Wahoo's reply this morning...
Hi Taff,

Thanks for getting in touch about your order. Great to see you've purchased a SNAP.

No you will not need to pay any import fees. This was an issue caused by the new UK/EU regulations which has now been resolved. We have refunded any customers who paid import fees.

Our warehouse have already picked your SNAP for delivery. It should be on its way soon. You'll see a tracking email when it leaves the warehouse.

Thanks for being a Wahoo customer,

so everything should be ok :banana-dance:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If they wanted sympathy they could have picked a better industry than fishing that campaigned for Brexit.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Couchy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:41 pmTbh I’ve not heard one provable positive from brexit from the brexiteers who seem very quiet now. I’m hopeful there are some positives though and I’m willing to be educated 👍
No.1 son is now getting c.90% of his raw chocolate from the UK rather than Belgium.
It is the same Cacao as when he was getting it from Belgium and is just as good...it's even made by the same company, who invested £24m in UK manufacturing at the start of last year. As it's closer to market and more efficiently produced it is costing barely half of what it did when sourced from Belgium.

One of his larger competitors was also using movement of its chocolates in bulk outside the UK then sending them back for individual deliveries, reducing the effective VAT charge, that was then being paid outside the UK and giving them a competitive advantage by adding about an extra 1500 food miles to the product.
The change to companies having to register for UK VAT closed this bizarre advantage and adds to UK revenues.