What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by the_priest »

Taken wife to school. Packed my robes and paperwork for funeral later this morning. Gave my daughter coffee as she has mock exams this morning and is running on fumes (not enough sleep). Started researching a mountain bike for my son, needs to be medium frame, max £280.

Prayers in 20 minutes then staff meeting and funeral. PCC meeting tonight with a project I am trying to get approved for upgraded cameras for live streaming services. Trying to use this time to get things sorted going forward while the Church is empty.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 am Taken wife to school. Packed my robes and paperwork for funeral later this morning. Gave my daughter coffee as she has mock exams this morning and is running on fumes (not enough sleep). Started researching a mountain bike for my son, needs to be medium frame, max £280.

Prayers in 20 minutes then staff meeting and funeral. PCC meeting tonight with a project I am trying to get approved for upgraded cameras for live streaming services. Trying to use this time to get things sorted going forward while the Church is empty.
That's not a realistic budget sorry.

Even used that's a push.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am
the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 am Started researching a mountain bike for my son, needs to be medium frame, max £280.

Even used that's a push.
Working with what I have. I might chip in a bit more money, but £50 more is what I can do. He is not looking to race, just to enjoy riding and cycling local parks. It will travel with him to Portsmouth and he will use it as his transport and for enjoyment. No competition stuff or racing etc...
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Have you budgeted for a lock in that?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I planned to go for a decent walk on snowshoes. Sadly a muscle in my right arm seriously objected. Proper miffed now :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:35 am
the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 am Started researching a mountain bike for my son, needs to be medium frame, max £280.

Even used that's a push.
Working with what I have. I might chip in a bit more money, but £50 more is what I can do. He is not looking to race, just to enjoy riding and cycling local parks. It will travel with him to Portsmouth and he will use it as his transport and for enjoyment. No competition stuff or racing etc...
I have good experience from buying cheap bikes, it will work well for a few miles and then start falling apart. Most bikes probably don't get used that much before they gather dust in the shed or get stolen, if he uses it as his main transport then he'll find:
Most rims are rubbish, they are thin and rim brakes will soon wear through them. Cheap rims can work ok if they are well built, again most aren't. I've broken more wheels than I remember, a decent rim, disk brakes and balloon tyres help them last.
Cheap disk brakes can be ok though they tend to be a bitch to set up properly, at least cheap disk brakes can be upgraded for not a lot of money, rim brakes are much harder.
Cheap frames are usually just heavy, not a massive issue but check they have mounting points for any future desirable mods (thinking of brakes & mudguards). I've only snapped one frame through commuting.
Tyres don't matter much, he'll be changing them fairly often and the choice is likely to be down to how difficult he finds fixing punctures. If he's getting a lot of punctures it's time for new tyres.
Avoid suspension, at that price it is likely to be rubbish and balloon tyres will provide all the suspension he needs round Portsmouth. Cheap front suspension is ok but a waste of weight, rear suspension is likely to waste a lot of energy.
Cheap gears are usually ok, make sure they are branded so he can get spares.
A second hand branded hard tail is probably the best bet, and a good lock.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Took the K100 and the Tenere for mot today, both passed with no advisories

Really cheered me up getting out for a blast.Can’t wait to get back to commuting on them when the weather gets better.I’ve only covered 2k miles on each in the past year!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Horse wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:44 pm Have you budgeted for a lock in that?
Bought a while back. A good one too.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Started moving first spawn and partner's stuff into there new house. The landlord was supposed to be there at ten but couldn't make it. So he just left the place unlocked and we'll sort the paperwork later. :banana-dance: I do like this place.

A large three bed, two public roomed flat type affair, it used to be a hotel but then got converted into a shop. Storage room downstairs, double garage and shed: £300 per month.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Had a pre-op assessment, which included a blood sample, a nasal swap and a crotch swab (thankfully with different swabs)... good job I had a shower before I went. I was running late and nearly didnt bother. lol

I know the swabs are to see if you carry MRSA, but I do wonder what happens if it comes back as positive? Do they hose you down with Domestos or wirebrush and dettol? :eh:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Stood out in the cold (thanks to a fire alarm at work) letching at the HR women.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:24 pm Stood out in the cold (thanks to a fire alarm at work) letching at the HR women.
Pics ?
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:46 pm I planned to go for a decent walk on snowshoes. Sadly a muscle in my right arm seriously objected. Proper miffed now :( :(
I'm not certain, but I think you're meant to wear snowshoes on your feet,
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

cheb wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:11 pm Started moving first spawn and partner's stuff into there new house. The landlord was supposed to be there at ten but couldn't make it. So he just left the place unlocked and we'll sort the paperwork later. :banana-dance: I do like this place.

A large three bed, two public roomed flat type affair, it used to be a hotel but then got converted into a shop. Storage room downstairs, double garage and shed: £300 per month.
Is it in your neck of the woods or on the mainland?
cheb

Post by cheb »

That's on the island. The place is a bit damp but nothing terrible. Some of the decor is the finest that the 1950s and 60s could provide. Happily there's no orange nylon carpets nor curtains.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:21 pm Had a pre-op assessment, which included a blood sample, a nasal swap and a crotch swab (thankfully with different swabs)... good job I had a shower before I went. I was running late and nearly didnt bother. lol

I know the swabs are to see if you carry MRSA, but I do wonder what happens if it comes back as positive? Do they hose you down with Domestos or wirebrush and dettol? :eh:
Depends whether you are going private or NHS.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:21 pm Had a pre-op assessment, which included a blood sample, a nasal swap and a crotch swab (thankfully with different swabs)... good job I had a shower before I went. I was running late and nearly didnt bother. lol

Private
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:23 am
Silly Car wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 am

Private
Nice hosing down with Domestos then, they save the wire brush treatment for the great unwashed :thumbup:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Not today but tomorrow I have to interview for the role that I have been doing for thirteen months. Failure is not an option. It's unlikely that I will mess it up but it's possible. It will be a remote interview and a good excuse to dress up and I can drink my own coffee. It's also reassuring that the role has been signed off permanently and that our business is staying afloat (I work in private healthcare).

No need to wish me luck, I am sure you do. Just sayin' so that you have a drink ready to help me celebrate :)
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just had my lads mate over to the garage door with a bike problem they've been trying to sort for a week.

He broke his rear mech on his Whyte T-130 a couple of weeks ago, since repairing it's been changing gear terribly apparently

Funnily enough, his mech hanger is the same as mine on the G-160, so first of all we fitted a new mech hanger, that's always a good start point with bad shifting. However that didn't resolve the shifting, so i looked again and it looked like it was jumping on the top jockey wheel on the mech.
Looking more in depth i noticed his jockey wheel was offset to one side a little bit within the cage. Further investigation showed me that the caps on the centre are different diameters, so when the jockey wheel is one way round, it doesn't sit inside a little tab and sits too high on one side, so flipped it over, boom, perfect...
His gears then needed indexing a bit and i threw in a new gear cable just to make it 100%, that's it, job done.

He's a very happy bunny :)