What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Legal in the UK too AFAIK but only if for access to one bedroom. I might be wrong, but I've seen similar, albeit straight.

For the bath try searching for a 'shub', a filthy American term for a bath(tub) designed to be used under a shower. Shower tray sized but deep, sometimes with a step to sit on.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:18 pm Legal in the UK too AFAIK but only if for access to one bedroom. I might be wrong, but I've seen similar, albeit straight.

For the bath try searching for a 'shub', a filthy American term for a bath(tub) designed to be used under a shower. Shower tray sized but deep, sometimes with a step to sit on.
I will go look for Shubs!! LOL

The spiral stairs go up to two bedrooms and a mezzanine bed above the smaller bedroom!!! No WAY would I have them anywhere - I was terrified I'd fall!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I think I remember the Dutch being keen on them too.

I meant shubs, but it also applies to horribly step stairs too.

What's the difference between steps and a staircase? Not a riddle, just one of those idle questions.
Last edited by cheb on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 pm Been out to do an errand for a friend. She lives in Indonesia but has an apartment here and wanted some measurements taken so she can get a set of stairs built to get to a mezzanine floor (current stairs don't fit well)

Bonus was I got to go for a walk in the snow! Downside was that the buses are only running every 1hr 20mins. I was worried I'd miss the next bus so walked as fast as I dared on the snow (not very!) - its about 10 mins each way from the bus stop to the building. And had to get and drop off a key for the outside door en route

Only finished and got back 40 mins before the next bus :o So I could stand in the cold for 40 mins or I could walk home. I walked home!! So I've done about 2kms uphill on not very grippy surface!! Now sitting here working out if I can fit a 'disabled' bath in my tiny shower room (instead of a shower, well, with a shower over the top!!)

But

In the apartment, her ex built a spiral staircase to get from the main room up to the bedrooms. I'm kinda wondering if he wanted to be ex but without the hassle of a divorce!!! Bloody hell those stairs are scary. To fit he's cut away part of each step to make room. He's tall and seriously skinny so probably ok for him. I know one of his sons is broader than I am, so no idea how he gets up and down them. For the FUF it just made me feel sick, going up and coming back down!!! Can't believe they are legal - even in France!!! :o

2 pals have them here. My dodgy ankle and knee don't like coming down so I treat them like a ladder. Up and down.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:18 pm Legal in the UK too AFAIK but only if for access to one bedroom. I might be wrong, but I've seen similar, albeit straight.

This might fit!! When I've put in a bigger shower tray! LOL

Somewhat cheaper than a shub or a disabled bath thingy!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:33 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 pm Been out to do an errand for a friend. She lives in Indonesia but has an apartment here and wanted some measurements taken so she can get a set of stairs built to get to a mezzanine floor (current stairs don't fit well)

Bonus was I got to go for a walk in the snow! Downside was that the buses are only running every 1hr 20mins. I was worried I'd miss the next bus so walked as fast as I dared on the snow (not very!) - its about 10 mins each way from the bus stop to the building. And had to get and drop off a key for the outside door en route

Only finished and got back 40 mins before the next bus :o So I could stand in the cold for 40 mins or I could walk home. I walked home!! So I've done about 2kms uphill on not very grippy surface!! Now sitting here working out if I can fit a 'disabled' bath in my tiny shower room (instead of a shower, well, with a shower over the top!!)

But

In the apartment, her ex built a spiral staircase to get from the main room up to the bedrooms. I'm kinda wondering if he wanted to be ex but without the hassle of a divorce!!! Bloody hell those stairs are scary. To fit he's cut away part of each step to make room. He's tall and seriously skinny so probably ok for him. I know one of his sons is broader than I am, so no idea how he gets up and down them. For the FUF it just made me feel sick, going up and coming back down!!! Can't believe they are legal - even in France!!! :o

2 pals have them here. My dodgy ankle and knee don't like coming down so I treat them like a ladder. Up and down.
I did that. But both knees are dodgy, one more than the other on different days so some days I wouldn't be able to go up using both feet. Hey ho - at least I don't live there!! LOL
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

cheb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:18 pm

I ain't never heared of no shub.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Neighbour was planning a loft conversion and wanted to fit one (straight) to go from ground to existing first floor (3 bedrooms & bath), to make room for the 1 》2 staircase. Not permitted.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

David wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:54 am It's knowing what to hit things with that gets expensive
In this case it's *squirt* not hit. It uses those CO2 Sparklets type cartridges & sends the blast of gas down flexible tube which you stuff in the end of the blocked pipe, in this case white PVC.

Anywho, it's "Third Sunday Kaw Meet" at the RockStore so the ZRX11 is going to get a work out today. Last month saw 8 ZRX's. Not bad for a bike that hasn't been available since '05 :)
Want to be out the door by 9am (in 30 minutes), but need to go poop first so departure may be delayed by a couple of chapters.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Bwana wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm

It may more familiar to the cleaner colonial :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Today I filed my tax return, unusually I didn't leave it until 2 hours before the deadline.
Still can't get my head around the seemingly random way HMRC work out how much tax I owe or get back. Today I had a pretty painless £3.60 to pay.
David

Post by David »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:57 pm

I used one of those in france in'63
cheb

Post by cheb »

Might be a redneck thing. I was first made aware of them by a American in law.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:57 pm

One of my brothers recently had some sort of "walk in" tub installed. His mobility has been impaired due to back injuries. I've not had theopportunity to see it. I'm not certain if it has a door or if it is on the shallow side. I believe it does have a built in seat. It'll need to have some solid handholds as well.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I've not looked recently about staircases regs but a while ago if you had a space saver staircase you couldn't call the room it went upto a bedroom.
You could call it attic storage but not a bedroom cos it didn't meet building regs for a bedroom.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bwana wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:08 pm One of my brothers recently had some sort of "walk in" tub installed. His mobility has been impaired due to back injuries. I've not had theopportunity to see it. I'm not certain if it has a door or if it is on the shallow side. I believe it does have a built in seat. It'll need to have some solid handholds as well.
I those driving around here in SoCal:
https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm I've not looked recently about staircases regs but a while ago if you had a space saver staircase you couldn't call the room it went upto a bedroom.
You could call it attic storage but not a bedroom cos it didn't meet building regs for a bedroom.
LOL!

Gotta love regulations that tell you what you can/must call things but don't stop you using it as what you're not allowed to call it.

"No sir, despite the room being full of bedroom furniture and there is someone sleeping in the double bed, we call this room 'the bog'."

"Ah, that's OK then, sorted!"
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 am
demographic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm I've not looked recently about staircases regs but a while ago if you had a space saver staircase you couldn't call the room it went upto a bedroom.
LOL!

Gotta love regulations that tell you what you can/must call things but don't stop you using it as what you're not allowed to call it.

"No sir, despite the room being full of bedroom furniture and there is someone sleeping in the double bed, we call this room 'the bog'."

"Ah, that's OK then, sorted!"
It means when you see the house you can't say it has an extra bedroom.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

derek badger wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:50 am
It means when you see the house you can't say it has an extra bedroom.
Ah, so it's not a building regulation, it's a Trades Description Act thing. Got it! :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hmmm. This place has space for 6 people to sleep (in the two rooms & mezzanine) at the top of the (stairs) ladder. They'd definitely have to sell it as an apartment to sleep 6/8 people (selling based on the living space downstairs would reduce the price by about 2/3!!!)

I'd bet that the first thing anyone would do would be rip out the scary stairs and put in something more sensible!! LOL