Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
moth

Re: Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

Post by moth »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm You've always had to pay VAT on stuff you got from Europe, the only thing that is changing is how/when it's paid and who does the paperwork.

There used to be quite a scam involving VAT and Europe, but I don't remember the details. Something about shipping stuff back and forth and claiming the VAT had been paid in two different countries while profiting off the difference in rates between countries. Presumably there will be a whole new kind of VAT crime instead now :D

You now also pay VAT at the same standard rate as the country of origin. OK if that's Malta (18%), bit of a bugger if it's Hungary (27%)

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/s ... tes_en.pdf
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 pm I sometimes commit Tax Fraud
FTFY :D

But yeah, that's an old trick innit. I think most of the big couriers are wise to it now though, but I have no idea how well it's enforced. I would certainly never ask a shop to do it, but that's just me.
moth wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 pm You now also pay VAT at the same standard rate as the country of origin. OK if that's Malta (18%), bit of a bugger if it's Hungary (27%)
Dammit, and I am all out of Paprika too.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:36 am
EU shops register for UK VAT and it is paid by the consumer at point of purchase. Those shops should remove EU VAT so the price difference won't be much.
That's the problem. The UK government is trying to get EU retailers to do their tax collecting for them, many can't be arsed.

I've also read stuff about EU haulage firms no longer taking on work that means travel to the UK because of the paperwork involved, so delivery of some items is becoming difficult.

Still, they need us more than we need them, once they realise this it will be business as usual.
Last edited by Pirahna on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taff

Post by Taff »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am Fees I can get, but duty?

Out of curiosity what were you buying? AIUI 'most' items are tax free still.
1. KTM power parts, clutch I think
2. Wahoo axle for turbo trainer
3. Wahoo kickr snap turbo.

I'm not sure the how, why, but the simple fact is on more and more forums I'm seeing it. You may not be charged but it's possible.
I'm a bit concerned about this as I've got a Kickr snap on its way.
I checked the website before commiting to buy and it says that they dispatch from the Netherlands and it says this about taxes....
UNITED KINGDOM, EUROPEAN UNION, AUSTRALIA

All taxes and duties are paid at the time of purchase. Taxes are included in the price of the product, but are broken out and displayed separately under the VAT line item during the checkout and payment process. Shipping fees displayed at checkout include VAT.
so there shouldn't be any extra charges.

I'm going to drop their customer services an email to see what they think should be happening
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am Fees I can get, but duty?

Out of curiosity what were you buying? AIUI 'most' items are tax free still.
1. KTM power parts, clutch I think
2. Wahoo axle for turbo trainer
3. Wahoo kickr snap turbo.

I'm not sure the how, why, but the simple fact is on more and more forums I'm seeing it. You may not be charged but it's possible.
I'm a bit concerned about this as I've got a Kickr snap on its way.
I checked the website before commiting to buy and it says that they dispatch from the Netherlands and it says this about taxes....
UNITED KINGDOM, EUROPEAN UNION, AUSTRALIA

All taxes and duties are paid at the time of purchase. Taxes are included in the price of the product, but are broken out and displayed separately under the VAT line item during the checkout and payment process. Shipping fees displayed at checkout include VAT.
so there shouldn't be any extra charges.

I'm going to drop their customer services an email to see what they think should be happening
Indeed matey. I don't know how up to date that bit is... i'll be really curious to see how you get on.

I was debating an exhaust for the XSR but would be coming from Italy and didn't want to risk it.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 pmStory on the news recently about a truck driver having his ham sarnies confiscated at customs!
All down to food security. From the BBC story - Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products.

Whoever thought that leaving the EU would have consequences?
Taff

Post by Taff »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:10 pm ndeed matey. I don't know how up to date that bit is... i'll be really curious to see how you get on.

I was debating an exhaust for the XSR but would be coming from Italy and didn't want to risk it.
I've just emailed asking them if I should be charged any fees by their courier, and what are my rights to reject the order if I am. The order hasn't been shipped yet.
Their website has been updated to include brexit as the bit quoted in my post is UK seperate from the EU
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:33 am I can see why many small firms are simply saying "CBA" when it comes to selling to the UK now. Its all very well saying the burden has been minimised, which is may well have been, but its still a burden.

Firms like Amazon and Tesco will already have offices full of import/export staff so for them it may well be OK. For little guys it probably ain't worth the hassle.
Amazon call it an Import Fees Deposit for my first post-Brexit uk to ireland order. 8 quid on a 33 quid order :?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Lutin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:11 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 pmStory on the news recently about a truck driver having his ham sarnies confiscated at customs!
All down to food security. From the BBC story - Under EU rules, travellers from outside the bloc are banned from bringing in meat and dairy products.

Nobody, not even the 50ish% of the people who didn't vote the right way. HTH.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Everyone knew it would.
EU countries tempted a lot of UK manufacturing companies to leave the UK and set up there. In some cases devastating the local economy because generations of people worked in the factories. Ingersol-Rand left Hindley Green after many many decades, some families had three generations of family working there at the same time. But it all ended when the EU made it very attractive for these companies to head over to Eastern Europe and manufacture their stuff in modern factories made with EU grants and pay cheaper wages.

Maybe this move will mean UK people now start to spend UK money in the UK.
And if the products aren't available in the UK then hopefully UK industry might rise to the challenge and re-start UK manufacturing.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm
Everyone knew it would.
EU countries tempted a lot of UK manufacturing companies to leave the UK and set up there. In some cases devastating the local economy because generations of people worked in the factories. Ingersol-Rand left Hindley Green after many many decades, some families had three generations of family working there at the same time. But it all ended when the EU made it very attractive for these companies to head over to Eastern Europe and manufacture their stuff in modern factories made with EU grants and pay cheaper wages.

And if the products aren't available in the UK then hopefully UK industry might rise to the challenge and re-start UK manufacturing.

And defend more statues! :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Asian Boss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm And defend more statues! :thumbup:
The law will defend them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55693020
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:35 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:04 pm And defend more statues! :thumbup:
The law will defend them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55693020
The law is kind of busy.

That's why stout and patriotic English yeomen will do some defending too. Statue defenders - hoooooooooooooooo!

Perhaps there is an irony in that the defending may occur after the consumption of numerous pints of strong, continental lager.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tbh none of it is a surprise, nothing to worry about as the benefits of leaving the EU far outweigh any of this don’t they ?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Everyone knew it would.

The trade deals with the rest of the world, what's happening there?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Couchy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm Tbh none of it is a surprise, nothing to worry about as the benefits of leaving the EU far outweigh any of this don’t they ?
I so needed this :roll: instead of the thumbs up!! :lol:

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Everyone knew it would.

The trade deals with the rest of the world, what's happening there?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm The trade deals with the rest of the world, what's happening there?
What, like our much lauded deal with Japan thats worse than the one we had through the EU?
Or the one thats currently worse for the farmers? The fishing deal thats worse for the fishermen?

In pretty much any deal, being a part of a larger trading block has greater power, smaller countries on their own have less power.

<shrug>
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm The trade deals with the rest of the world, what's happening there?
What, like our much lauded deal with Japan thats worse than the one we had through the EU?
Or the one thats currently worse for the farmers? The fishing deal thats worse for the fishermen?

In pretty much any deal, being a part of a larger trading block has greater power, smaller countries on their own have less power.

<shrug>
But at least the fish are happier, according to JRM
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:38 pm
demographic wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 pm

<shrug>
But at least the fish are happier, according to JRM
Does that include the ones dying in customs ?

Tbh I’ve not heard one provable positive from brexit from the brexiteers who seem very quiet now. I’m hopeful there are some positives though and I’m willing to be educated 👍
moth

Post by moth »

Everyone knew it would.

Or maybe it means that what's left of the British manufacturing industries will feck off abroad too. Followed closely by the foreign owned car industries that have plants here.

:)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.