PG's Mega Youtube / Instagram/ Vids Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: PG's Mega Youtube Thread.

Post by weeksy »

JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:33 pm Not really about YouTube, but its a common misconception that these sorts of robots and self driving cars etc. are programmed in the traditional sense. They're not.

You don't teach a robot how to walk, you give it the command "don't fall over" and say that it can control its legs in directions X, Y and Z then set it loose to figure it out for itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_l ... prov=sfla1

If you went back through the software and tried to unpick what it's doing it wouldn't bear much resemblance to how a human would programme something.

Whether that's reassuring or even more terrifying I'm not sure :D
More importantly do they follow the 3 Laws???
Horse

Post by Horse »

JamJar wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:09 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:33 pm Not really about YouTube, but its a common misconception that these sorts of robots and self driving cars etc. are programmed in the traditional sense. They're not.

You don't teach a robot how to walk, you give it the command "don't fall over" and say that it can control its legs in directions X, Y and Z then set it loose to figure it out for itself.
More importantly do they follow the 3 Laws???
Do you actually want to know?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am Do you actually want to know?
It was tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness I do find this type of thing very interesting.
David

Post by David »

JamJar wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:38 am
Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 am Do you actually want to know?

Yes.
Horse

Post by Horse »

I may have posted this before. It gives an example of how in-depth crash investigation is being used to virtually replicate those situations - but re-run with hundreds of variables, testing the AV's systems in ways that millions of hours driving couldn't achieve.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The follow on advantage being that once you've figured it out for one crash you can disseminate that info to all the cars that use that software.

Imagine if you had the combined experience of every driver on the road and that you never forgot any of it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am Imagine if you had the combined experience of every driver on the road and that you never forgot any of it.
Have you done a course with Spin? ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am The follow on advantage being that once you've figured it out for one crash you can disseminate that info to all the cars that use that software.

Imagine if you had the combined experience of every driver on the road and that you never forgot any of it.
Which is an advantage from the 'connected' bit of CAV, the information sharing which could, for things like obstructions, etc. be almost instant.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The self driving delivery robots here in MK already teach each other. I've seen them get stuck by a badly parked car outside my house (blocking the pavement).

The first one to come past stopped, sat there thinking for a few minutes before back tracking down the road to a drop kerb and crossing over, then crossing back further up. The next ones that came along just crossed over preemptively, without having to get stuck first.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 pm The self driving delivery robots here in MK already teach each other. I've seen them get stuck by a badly parked car outside my house (blocking the pavement).

The first one to come past stopped, sat there thinking for a few minutes before back tracking down the road to a drop kerb and crossing over, then crossing back further up. The next ones that came along just crossed over preemptively, without having to get stuck first.
So, now they will forever miss the shortest path that once was blocked, but the car has since left.... :think: :lol:
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Always respected Toyah as an artist

Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:00 pm :o

That is awesome !!

Weirdly I thought I posted this yesterday but the post isn't here today??!!

anyway

Buildsnotprojects on youtube is worth a look, just a slightly rednecked guy building some cool buggys including putting a 600 IL4 engine in a honda Oddessy (pilot?) that was originally a 250 ! He's alos mates with Gridhardplumbing which if you haven't checked out yet, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BuildsNotProjects

Homemademadness is also worth a look, building a cross kart from scratch but with plans so you can (dream of) build (ing) your own
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWHni4 ... oMixymV5ow
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 pm The self driving delivery robots here in MK already teach each other. I've seen them get stuck by a badly parked car outside my house (blocking the pavement).

So, now they will forever miss the shortest path that once was blocked, but the car has since left.... :think: :lol:
Nah they drive straight now. Presumably obstructions have a 'life' in their system. Maybe they're even smart enough to know a parked car from a hole and that one will probably dissappear quicker than the other. Dunno.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:16 am
Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:05 pm

Nah they drive straight now. Presumably obstructions have a 'life' in their system. Maybe they're even smart enough to know a parked car from a hole and that one will probably dissappear quicker than the other. Dunno.

I know. It twas a bit tongue in cheek, and not in a deadpool window licker mode :D

I guess automation has always been seen as the devil in some respects, but I do wonder where it all ends. Human population is ever increasing, for every van driver who no longer has a job, there isn't a job for "robot servicing", it poses the interesting question, where does it all end? Humans, trillions of them, all crowded onto the polluted beaches, doing fuck all, waiting for their next feed of soylent green, delivered by robot, as all the work is done by robots, who service themselves, learn themselves, make parts for themselves, dispose of themselves at the end of their working life.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

If you like the blues you'll love this

Horse

Post by Horse »

Head for heights?

Horse

Post by Horse »

25 available, start saving now.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Isn’t it odd how life can take you in different directions when unplanned? Serendipity, I believe.

I was doing some research into Southern American folk lore on YouTube regards a well known writer and a particular film: “Wise Blood”. Next thing I know, I am listening to music from the Thirties and then on the side bar I came across this little tune - I’d love to know how the side bar suggestions work? As I was saying, I came across this well known track. It must have been covered by hundreds of artists over the decades - some very famous - but this version knocked me for six. The pairing of the harmonica and tin whistle just makes it for me. It’s hauntingly melancholic and would make a great ‘End of Sad Film” credits overplay.

Oh..and here’s a clip from the film.

Take Care - Keep Safe

🙂
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »