Is there any one thing that reminds you of something lovely in your childhood?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
WelshDragon

Is there any one thing that reminds you of something lovely in your childhood?

Post by WelshDragon »

We used to have a static caravan down at Pwllhelli when I was a child and although we didn't spend a lot of time there, they were very happy times spent with my Mam and Dad. Sadly the caravan was sold during my teenage years because why would a teenage girl want to go away with her parents.....

However, some 20 odd years after the last time I set foot in that caravan I bought a set of Melamime table mats. As soon as I opened the box the smell of the Melamime took me right back to the smell of the caravan when you opened the door and the great times I had there! I still have the mats and they still have the same smell that makes me smile every time I use them. Isn't it strange how such a simple thing can evoke such lovely memories? :D
Last edited by WelshDragon on Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: Is there any one thing reminds you of something lovely in your childhood?

Post by demographic »

My parents had a hillfarm when I was a kid, it was just on the border between the enclosed land and the open fell with a fair bit of bracken and gorse bushes about and a fairly decent straightish bit of road about half a mile away
For me its the sweet smell of gorse flowers and the twittering of a Skylark flying above.
If I could hear a GS Thou or a Z Thou (any two valve per pot big four cylinder bike really) hooning away in the distance it would make it about perfect.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

demographic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm If I could hear a GS Thou or a Z Thou (any two valve per pot big four cylinder bike really) hooning away in the distance it would make it about perfect.
It can be arranged quite easily.

As for my childhood, the vast majority of it I wish I could forget (I'll be happy if I never go in a caravan again having lived in one for the first 7 years of my life), but the sound of a Spey engined Phantom flying would be nice to hear, or the howl of a Hunter.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Re: Is there any one thing that reminds you of something lovely in your childhood?

Post by Yorick »

Every time I look in the mirror, I see the big scar on my right temple. It's where my dad used to belt me.

It reminds me of how happy I was when he pissed off when I was 10.
the_priest

Re: Is there any one thing that reminds you of something lovely in your childhood?

Post by the_priest »

I had a great childhood in most parts. Some pain and some loss, but what does make me smile is the smell of jasmine, as I had that growing outside my bedroom window in South Africa.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

we used to stay at a cottage in Wales during the sixties, very basic , no hot water or electricity, lit by tilley lamps, and stone steps to the upstairs. the back of the cottage had stone flags outside and was surrounded by high privet hedges which were always damp and had a very distictive smell of wet foliage the same smell triggers a very vivid memory of the place. usually whilst out walking through a wood etc if its been raining, odd but there it is :eh:
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:17 pm Every time I look in the mirror, I see the big scar on my right temple. It's where my dad used to belt me.

It reminds me of how happy I was when he pissed off when I was 10.
Glad to see there was an upside. :|
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

This is a very good question and one that's got me thinking. I'll get back to you......
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:11 pm
demographic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm If I could hear a GS Thou or a Z Thou (any two valve per pot big four cylinder bike really) hooning away in the distance it would make it about perfect.
It can be arranged quite easily.

As for my childhood, the vast majority of it I wish I could forget (I'll be happy if I never go in a caravan again having lived in one for the first 7 years of my life), but the sound of a Spey engined Phantom flying would be nice to hear, or the howl of a Hunter.
No bother at all, got a mate with a GS Thou.

We used to get low flying jets overhead, lots of Hawks and a few Tornados back then.
Suppose there will have been others but I can't remember.

That wasn't a nice noise though, the bastards were overhead so fast and suddenly deafening that as a nipper I used to shit a brick.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

No.
Next question.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 pm No.
Next question.
:hmmm: what was the point of posting that? :thumbdown:
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

WelshDragon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:21 pm
PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 pm No.
Next question.
:hmmm: what was the point of posting that? :thumbdown:
Question was asked.
Answered the question.
What was the point of asking what the point of posting was?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

After some thought.

Sunday afternoon post roast dinner with my mum, dad and 4 brothers, all rammed into the living room (I know. In today's open plan world it's kinda odd. We also had a front room that was off limits except for Xmas) to watch, doze and generally try to be entertained by the Sunday afternoon movie. Always black and white, mostly cowboys or war films. All to the lingering smell of dinner and the occasional brussel sprout fuelled fart.

Three hours later and it was tea time.

Thanks for your post. It's brought back a nice memory.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Holidays on the Isle of Wight accompanied by the following group on the old tape player in the oldies car

chillitt

Post by chillitt »

I still live in the house I grew up in, so there's a few ghosts about the place
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Buckaroo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 am After some thought.

Sunday afternoon post roast dinner with my mum, dad and 4 brothers, all rammed into the living room (I know. In today's open plan world it's kinda odd. We also had a front room that was off limits except for Xmas) to watch, doze and generally try to be entertained by the Sunday afternoon movie. Always black and white, mostly cowboys or war films. All to the lingering smell of dinner and the occasional brussel sprout fuelled fart.

Three hours later and it was tea time.

Thanks for your post. It's brought back a nice memory.
:)
We had one of those rooms too! We only ever eat food in the kitchen (it wasn't very big and neither was the table, we managed) but we had a dining room with a 6 seat table and we never had a meal in that room for the 19 years I lived in that house and my Mam was alive!! It was 'normal' for me at the time but why???? :roll:
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 am Holidays on the Isle of Wight accompanied by the following group on the old tape player in the oldies car

Tape players in cars!! I remember those and the Flying Pickets. Great singalong songs. :P
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 am Holidays on the Isle of Wight accompanied by the following group on the old tape player in the oldies car

I remember the alternate version of that as a kid

Looking from the window above
Somebody gave me a shove
I was falling...
Falling one hundred feet
Down into the street
I was falling..
All I needed was a safety net
All I got was a broken neck
And all I ever knew...
Was it you?

No idea if I came up with it (I made up a lot of parodies as a kid lol) or it was one of those that "went around" like Seasons in the sun; we have joy we have fun flicking bogies at the sun, but the sun was too hot and it always turned to snot :mrgreen:
:martian:
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

I am really enjoying reading your posts as it's taking me back to many other things that I remember and enjoyed as a child.

Those were the days when we had to amuse ourselves with our imagination and the simplest of things made us smile! I know I am going to sound like a Luddite here but I really miss the 60s and 70s! I know we had strikes, shops didn't open on Sundays, no mobile phones or computers, cars without air con etc.....but we played outside as kids - British Bulldog, tag, hide and seek, bobby knocking (!) and had to make our own entertainment. We weren't wealthy and at times money was in very short supply but I never went without the necessities. Food, clothes, schooling. It was enough.

Maybe it's my age and I am becoming nostalgic but I've been saying for a while now, I don't feel as if I fit in this world. Holidays every 5 minutes, more 'stuff' than you can shake a stick at, cruises (why?), over indulging in almost everything.

For me I'm not sure becoming wealthier has actually made people any happier and I really think we've lost sight of where we're going. :?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be :(