Zephyr?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Re: Zephyr?

Post by Skub »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am The one I looked at had a piston circlip in the bottom of the sump and a ton of instant gasket, so someone had the top end off at some point and did a really shit job.
A lot of those big Zeds (900R ZZR1100) had a gauze filter over the pickup point for the oil pump,over time and especially those fond of using gasket goo,this filter became clogged. Usually the pump could suck enough oil to do at moderate speeds,but when the numbers crept up,then the engine let go.

Back then when I bought a bike,one of the first jobs I did was drop the sump and have a look. I caught my 900R just in time,it was well on the way to going pop.

There used to be a shop (Oxford Motorcycles?) who did a replacement/modded sump pan with an inspection plug,so you could check the filter without removing the sump. I made my own by stealing their idea. The plug was a Kawasaki part.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Asian Boss wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 am I suspect the Z900RS may be dead wee and nesh while the old Zephyr could be a bit bigger.
I like the look of the RS, but for my next bike I'd probably get the Z9, dunno why maybe cos the Z9 is just trying to be a streetbike rather than a retro so maybe a more pure experience. Not that any of that might be true :lol: Plus the Z can be had for less dosh.

I did also worry that the RS might be a big bike and unwieldy, but seeing one at Finchingfield in the autumn they are much smaller than I expected. Really compact and low, not like an old Z at all except in style. Which has made me think twice about them...a bit. Cos they look lovely
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:05 pm
I like the look of the RS, but for my next bike I'd probably get the Z9, dunno why maybe cos the Z9 is just trying to be a streetbike rather than a retro so maybe a more pure experience. Not that any of that might be true :lol: Plus the Z can be had for less dosh.

I did also worry that the RS might be a big bike and unwieldy, but seeing one at Finchingfield in the autumn they are much smaller than I expected. Really compact and low, not like an old Z at all except in style. Which has made me think twice about them...a bit. Cos they look lovely
Try before you buy. I haven't ridden one myself,but several people have told me although they prefer the looks of the RS the Z1000 rides/handles a lot better.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

If its a choice between a transformer and a psuedo-retro - I'll go with the fake antique every time.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

My first bike was a ZR-7 - a lot of bike for the paltry sum I paid for it. Not dynamically the best but I liked it better than the equivalent bandit.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:05 pm
I did also worry that the RS might be a big bike and unwieldy, but seeing one at Finchingfield in the autumn they are much smaller than I expected.
They do feel big to me, but then I'm a midget and I'm used to <150kg two strokes and classics.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Potter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 am They do feel big to me, but then I'm a midget and I'm used to <150kg two strokes and classics.
I'm fine with big bikes, but at the moment I find lots of things feel bigger/heavier than they are cos I'm used to the 690 which is like a BMX
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:02 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am The one I looked at had a piston circlip in the bottom of the sump and a ton of instant gasket, so someone had the top end off at some point and did a really shit job.
A lot of those big Zeds (900R ZZR1100) had a gauze filter over the pickup point for the oil pump,over time and especially those fond of using gasket goo,this filter became clogged. Usually the pump could suck enough oil to do at moderate speeds,but when the numbers crept up,then the engine let go.

Back then when I bought a bike,one of the first jobs I did was drop the sump and have a look. I caught my 900R just in time,it was well on the way to going pop.

There used to be a shop (Oxford Motorcycles?) who did a replacement/modded sump pan with an inspection plug,so you could check the filter without removing the sump. I made my own by stealing their idea. The plug was a Kawasaki part.
I know the mesh you mean and on this engine it was pretty much blocked with old bits of gasket gunge, the engine was pretty much scrap, but the owner wanted it rebuilt by a friend of mine (who was trying to tell the owner it wasn't worth fixing)
Honda Owner