The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by weeksy »

Latter half of last year we were having multiple issues with the BBQ. It's been months with it fine, then suddenly it's rubbish and won't stay lit.

It's pretty old and tbf it's had lots and lots of use over the years.

About a year or so ago i replaced the regulator which again, seemed to resolve the issue or so i thought, but then it threw a wobly a few times sadly.

I looked at the parts diagrams and you've basically only got a valve and hose, but that valve is £90, i'm guessing it being a discontinued model means it's harder to find too. Plus is may not actually resolve the issue.

So ordered this instead which will give us a resolution :)

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbec ... 9VEALw_wcB

Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 pm Latter half of last year we were having multiple issues with the BBQ. It's been months with it fine, then suddenly it's rubbish and won't stay lit.

About a year or so ago i replaced the regulator which again, seemed to resolve the issue or so i thought, but then it threw a wobly a few times sadly.

I looked at the parts diagrams and you've basically only got a valve and hose, but that valve is £90, i'm guessing it being a discontinued model means it's harder to find too. Plus is may not actually resolve the issue.

I’ve got the predecessor to that one, Q200 IIRC, great gas grill, I did steaks on it on Friday night, nice level of charring and none of the smell in the house :thumbup:

My pleasing purchase (gifts):
204FC315-4380-4417-BCA3-3CD816FB4C57.jpeg
204FC315-4380-4417-BCA3-3CD816FB4C57.jpeg (382.92 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

The family got me a combination of 4 Kin kinchef knives* which are ridiculously sharp, amazingly balanced and a delight to use. Daughters bought me the Kin butchers block and had it engraved for me. As birthday gifts go, these have to be one of the best as I will get to use them everyday.

*laminated blades (except boning knife) with free sharpening (even if it means sending them to Suffolk... ;) )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Silly Car wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 pm
I’ve got the predecessor to that one, Q200 IIRC, great gas grill, I did steaks on it on Friday night, nice level of charring and none of the smell in the house :thumbup:
Yeah we've got the Q200 too, that's the one that's now not working right.

We've also just bought a pizza stone for it so we can make pizza :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm We've also just bought a pizza stone for it so we can make pizza :)
I say this to everyone who's just got a pizza oven...

The thing which makes great pizza is not the oven (although a good one DEFINITELY helps), it's the bread. You can make really good pizza in a conventional oven if you've got decent dough, you'll never make anything better than mediocre pizza even with the fanciest oven if your bread is shit.

I have no idea how concerned/pedantic you actually are about making Pizza though :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:16 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm We've also just bought a pizza stone for it so we can make pizza :)
I say this to everyone who's just got a pizza oven...

The thing which makes great pizza is not the oven (although a good one DEFINITELY helps), it's the bread. You can make really good pizza in a conventional oven if you've got decent dough, you'll never make anything better than mediocre pizza even with the fanciest oven if your bread is shit.

I have no idea how concerned/pedantic you actually are about making Pizza though :D
Sounds like a thread all in its own right. Get it going, give me some amounts and I'll be on the case on Friday evening
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Never tried pizzas in it as we’ve got a pizza oven but I reckon it’d work a treat. As an add on to what Dazzle has said, the ooni dough recipe is a great place to start, I just use Sainsbury’s TTD 00 pasta flour, dried yeast and they taste great from the pizza oven.

I must say, I’d do exactly you’ve done, if mine won’t pop, I’d buy the same one again.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Ha...genuinely I would, but I'm not making any for ages and I'd need the pictures.

I would say there's loads on Google, but every single site makes you read a 4000 word essay on their childhood family holiday first.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pool overflow drain line is blocked, discovered what they call a "Gallo Gun". It will be here Wednesday :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:24 pm Pool overflow drain line is blocked, discovered what they call a "Gallo Gun". It will be here Wednesday :)
Turn the big octopus thing to waste and the water will flush down the drain.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:24 pm Pool overflow drain line is blocked, discovered what they call a "Gallo Gun". It will be here Wednesday :)
Very American, a gun for everything :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:28 pm
Turn the big octopus thing to waste and the water will flush down the drain.
Still need to clear the overflow line. Yesterday's buggering about with it & general faffing has opened it slightly as the level has dropped maybe 1/4in in 24 hours.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

If you're throwing the old one out, throw it in this direction please....

(I'll pick it up on my way to Dover if the ski season ever gets underway!)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Jody wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 am

If you're throwing the old one out, throw it in this direction please....

(I'll pick it up on my way to Dover if the ski season ever gets underway!)
all yours m8
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 pm Latter half of last year we were having multiple issues with the BBQ. It's been months with it fine, then suddenly it's rubbish and won't stay lit.

I've been using one of those for the last couple of years, they're brilliant. I cook most of my meat chops / steaks on it, even through winter - less fat and much tastier. Even do the breakfast bacon on it. Get a 4.5KG calor gas bottle to go with it, the CampingGaz fitting they supply costa a fortune in gas!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gave the Akaso (Brave 7) camera a proper test today. Had to drive down to LA for a med appt, then back home with a slight detour to a Kaw shop for a couple of oil filters & some spiffy little multi tool that I just had to buy & a visit to the pharmacy.
Cam cuts off & instantly restarts every 30min so you never lose more than 30min of footage if it craps out.. This means that as the journey was slightly over an hour each way I have 4x 30min vids & a couple of much shorter ones.
As it was mounted to the windscreen I'd set the cam to record upside down. That worked perfectly & I'm well chuffed with the vid quality. Image stabilization feature is just tits.

Won't be bothering to upload them for viewing anywhere as it's basically boring freeway footage, a gas station & three parking lots

The tool doodad:
https://www.trueutility.com/product/seven/
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Weight rack (or squat rack, half rack, half cage...call it what you will)

Been looking for a while and during lockdown prices went bloody silly as the gyms closed. Found a fella who makes gym equipment, emailed him and he came back with some CAD designs, we had a bit of tweaking on dimensions and stuff, but really good quality. Not silly expensive either.
rack.jpg
rack.jpg (72.54 KiB) Viewed 958 times
More photos on his FB page a little way down. Highly recommended and I've asked him to design a punchbag mount as the one I have is crap.
https://www.facebook.com/TRaxgymequipment/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Well poop. The touch screen on my Akaso had shit the bed when I went to put it on the bike this morning. It's previously had a very short test ride on the bike & 2 days of use in the Camaro without issue. The only thing visibly working today was the blue power light on the lower left rear of the case.

As the default setting of the camera is video I decided to see if it was actually working even though there's no way to tell. except the blue power light flashes when it's recording, so off I went & hoped for the best.
It recorded perfect video's* except the sound really fucking sucks inside the plastic case, (which admittedly is for diving) its just loud buzzing instead of melodious Muzzy Megaphone bellowing.

Luckily it has a 1 year warranty, already emailed them, they're actually pretty easy to deal with.

*it automatically cut's off & starts a new video after a certain amount of memory on the card has been used, so far it looks like about 30minute segments.

Saw some guy by a HD laying in the middle of the Westbound 101 freeway on the way home as I was headed East. Bike was upright, people were standing by the guy. I guess that explains the CHP Ford Exploder that I had just lane split past as he crawled along in traffic headed that direction
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm How much do you get through? I suppose you can't tell yet :D

Dude reckons about 25kg a quarter for a family of three. The softener he's proposing is online and tells you how much water you've got through and how much salt it's used. He showed me averaged data for people in our area to support that 25kg claim.
We used 25kg in the first week.....although after testing the incoming water, the plumber had set the softener way harder than it needed to be. People will say they use 25kg a month, roughly, my sister gets through a bag a week in a very similar hardness area.

So... i guess somewhere between 1 bag a week and 1 bag a month... lol
Had our softener in exactly a week now

Our water is 310ppm, for reference anything over 150ppm is classed as 'very hard'. I was a little surprised to learn there is not a legal maximum in the UK.

A week in and it hasnt actually used any salt! We get 1800 litres of water before the resin bed has to 'regen' and use some salt up. Currently we're averaging 240 litres a day, so we've not got through the 1800. The app currently predicts 142 days before more salt is needed.

We're still not reaping the full benefit, we've got the older style cold water tank in the loft to feed the hot water system. That tank is still a mixture of hard and soft water, I tested the hot water today and its still 90ppm which would considered hard.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm How much do you get through? I suppose you can't tell yet :D

Dude reckons about 25kg a quarter for a family of three. The softener he's proposing is online and tells you how much water you've got through and how much salt it's used. He showed me averaged data for people in our area to support that 25kg claim.
We used 25kg in the first week.....although after testing the incoming water, the plumber had set the softener way harder than it needed to be. People will say they use 25kg a month, roughly, my sister gets through a bag a week in a very similar hardness area.

So... i guess somewhere between 1 bag a week and 1 bag a month... lol
Had our softener in exactly a week now

Our water is 310ppm, for reference anything over 150ppm is classed as 'very hard'. I was a little surprised to learn there is not a legal maximum in the UK.

A week in and it hasnt actually used any salt! We get 1800 litres of water before the resin bed has to 'regen' and use some salt up. Currently we're averaging 240 litres a day, so we've not got through the 1800. The app currently predicts 142 days before more salt is needed.

We're still not reaping the full benefit, we've got the older style cold water tank in the loft to feed the hot water system. That tank is still a mixture of hard and soft water, I tested the hot water today and its still 90ppm which would considered hard.
Intrigued to which softener you have?

Water here is rock 'ard.

To help set your domestic appliances, the water hardness in different units is:
488 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium Carbonate
195.2 mg/l (or parts per million) :Calcium
33.965 °C :Degrees Clark
48.8 °F :Degrees French
27.718 °dH :Degrees German
4.88 mmol/l :Millimoles
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its an Ecowater something or other....second from bottom on there domestic range.

TBH we bought it based on the dealer rather than the unit. He gets 9.9/10 on Checkatrade with a few hundred reviews, which is why we contacted him initially.

He turned up on time, no hard sell. Price he quoted for the unit itself was £200 less than you can buy them for for DIY fitment. He is a one man business clearly just keeping going until he can retire in a few years time. :D Fitted a new stop cock (previous one had seized solid) and also changed the cold water tank valve FOC then rearranged the under sink plumbing to fix the previous owners DIY bodging FOC too.

There are deffo cheaper units out there but he doesn't fit them because "I can't be bothered with coming back in a few years".

Besides....if I'm buying a 10 quid bag of salt once a quarter rather than once a week it'll pay the difference in no time :D