Oxfordshire council really love bikes....

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Lutin

Oxfordshire council really love bikes....

Post by Lutin »

Oxfordshire council survey says motorcyclists 'danger to selves'

A council that described motorcyclists as a "danger to themselves" in a transport survey has been criticised for its "brutal" bias.

Oxfordshire County Council also suggested motorbikes were "environmentally unsound".

Biker Mark McArthur-Christie said bikes were not "some niche interest", while the British Motorcyclists Federation said it was "seriously concerned" by the allegations.

The authority has apologised.

"This was not the intention but I accept that it was construed this way," said Yvonne Constance, cabinet member for environment.

'Howls of protest'
The Local Transport and Connectivity Plan stated that motorbikes "are mostly still using fossil fuels to run, meaning they are environmentally unsound, not sustainable, and contribute to air pollution".

It also said "statistical evidence suggests motorcyclists are a danger to themselves".
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Skub

Re: Oxfordshire council really love bikes....

Post by Skub »

A danger to myself?

Yep,time was I resembled that remark.

I don't believe anyone ever took up riding a motorcycle to become safer. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Re: Oxfordshire council really love bikes....

Post by Horse »

Lutin wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 pm Oxfordshire council survey says motorcyclists 'danger to selves'

A council that described motorcyclists as a "danger to themselves" in a transport survey has been criticised for its "brutal" bias.

Oxfordshire County Council also suggested motorbikes were "environmentally unsound".

The Local Transport and Connectivity Plan stated that motorbikes "are mostly still using fossil fuels to run, meaning they are environmentally unsound, not sustainable, and contribute to air pollution".

It also said "statistical evidence suggests motorcyclists are a danger to themselves".
Yup. Despite any whinging from riders, they're right on both counts. Riders often seem incredibly reluctant to take responsibility for their own safety, instead wanting to blame the 'cager'.

Biker Mark McArthur-Christie will have to come up with some robust evidence to make a case otherwise, on both counts.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: