Cheap 125 for CBT

Anything you like about motorbikes
Trogladyte

Cheap 125 for CBT

Post by Trogladyte »

T. Minor wants to do his CBT. He really needs a bike license, as it will make doing track days a lot easier. So i thought we'd find a cheap CG125 or similar. But i can't find any cheap ones. Even 15 year old bikes are at least £800 on fleabay.

Is a CG the right thing to be looking for? I was hoping to spend no more than about 500 of your English pounds, have the bike for up to a year, and sell it on. Bike rather than scooter. And ideally I thought it should be Japanese.

The boy, of course, wants an Aprilia RS125, as he raced one very successfully, but that was a stripped down road bike, with 35 BHP. He has no idea how slow a road bike with 12 BHP will feel, And they also need new rings and the squish setting every 750 yards or so. So I am thinking Japanese 4 stroke.

So what should Ii be looking for? And where? Is my budget in a dream world or what?
KungFooBob

Re: Cheap 125 for CBT

Post by KungFooBob »

An ACU license should suffice for trackdays.

A lot of peeps who have lost their road licenses do the ACU test so they can continue to do track days.
David

Post by David »

You could always try a chinese copy...by the time he has thrashed, dropped and gen erally abusedvit it will be worth nothing anyway...
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

CG or CB125 or a YBR 125. The RS 125 he wants is illegal to ride on a provisional licence and can result in bike seizure and lots of points /fine for riding outside conditions of license/no insurance.

Mac who used to be on VD/TRC had one going recently in good nick as his daughter had passed license . I’ll ask if it’s still available

How old is Gid nowadays as he might be quicker to just use a school bike for a CBT and then straight to test on school bikes as he already knows how to ride rather well albeit without traffic and roundabouts. Save you buying a 125 ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Why do you need to buy a 125? Just do the CBT.

If he can already ride, which I think is a given ;) , it'd be cheaper to do the full test on the school's bike then get something else surely?
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

YBR125 is generally going to be cheaper than a Honda.

Might as well spend a bit more and just keep it nice, as you've seen there's a pretty hard price floor for a Japanese 125 so you won't lose if you spend a grand, assuming you have it spare.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Panigale :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 pm Mac who used to be on VD/TRC had one going recently in good nick as his daughter had passed license . I’ll ask if it’s still available
Macs one sold for 700 quid. It was a Sym wolf 125 which is basically a copy of a YBR125
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Trogladyte wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:17 pm T. Minor wants to do his CBT. He really needs a bike license, as it will make doing track days a lot easier. So i thought we'd find a cheap CG125 or similar. But i can't find any cheap ones. Even 15 year old bikes are at least £800 on fleabay.

Is a CG the right thing to be looking for? I was hoping to spend no more than about 500 of your English pounds, have the bike for up to a year, and sell it on. Bike rather than scooter. And ideally I thought it should be Japanese.

The boy, of course, wants an Aprilia RS125, as he raced one very successfully, but that was a stripped down road bike, with 35 BHP. He has no idea how slow a road bike with 12 BHP will feel, And they also need new rings and the squish setting every 750 yards or so. So I am thinking Japanese 4 stroke.

So what should Ii be looking for? And where? Is my budget in a dream world or what?
CGs are seriously knocking on a bit now. Any Honda 125 would do - CBF is the basic one, YBR is fine. Avoid anything with lots of plastic. However, why bother? The school will supply the bike.

How old is he? Not much point doing a bike test at 17 as you get a full licence for a 14.6hp 125 and no more. If he's not bothered about the L plates, the inability to carry a passenger or head up an M-way, then CBT is enough to get mobile. Personally though, I don't think a CBT is fit for purpose on today's roads.

But...

And it's a biggie... schools in Tier 4 are all closed, and the DVSA test system is in chaos with delays of months in the few places it's still open for bookings.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 pm
How old is he? Not much point doing a bike test at 17 as you get a full licence for a 14.6hp 125 and no more. If he's not bothered about the L plates, the inability to carry a passenger or head up an M-way, then CBT is enough to get mobile. Personally though, I don't think a CBT is fit for purpose on today's roads.
Hence why i asked above as i know T Minor and helped out when he was racing but couldnt remember how close he was to DAS but now looking back this was a photo of me and him on the pit wall at Snetterton 7 years ago that some sneaky bastard took so he must be into DAS by now or nearly there ....... but as you said Tier 4 means all training bodies are closed for the forseeable

Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Ok. He's 22 somehow. He wants a full bike license for a few reasons ,- but it's not about getting mobile. He wants to be able to ride a road bike for the occasions when it might be useful. And it makes it easier to do casual trackdays as some years he doesn't get a race license.

As least that's the theory. In practise it is also as ruse to get me to buy more motorcycles for him to generally arse about on at high speed.

So....skool bike for CBT. What are his options then?
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

That's a fucking great photo btw.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Trogladyte wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 am Ok. He's 22 somehow. He wants a full bike license for a few reasons ,- but it's not about getting mobile. He wants to be able to ride a road bike for the occasions when it might be useful. And it makes it easier to do casual trackdays as some years he doesn't get a race license.

As least that's the theory. In practise it is also as ruse to get me to buy more motorcycles for him to generally arse about on at high speed.

At 22 he completes the CBT on a school bike then goes away and passed his bike theory :thumbup:

Once he has that under his belt then he goes back to the school and uses their bikes to pass his Mod1 and Mod 2 for an A2 license. Once he has that passed then he can ride a restricted to A2 bike on the road for 2 years then when he gets to 24 he can take an A test to ride unlimited capacity.

If he was 23 i would have said wait till he was almost 24 as he can go straight to DAS but 22 is the worst possible option as there is no quick route to a full license :(
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trogladyte wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 am That's a fucking great photo btw.
Letting your son associate with a window licker ?
The Spin Doctor

Just out of curiosity, why CBT, THEN theory? I'd always suggest the other way round. That way CBT students have at least half a chance of realising that roundabouts go clockwise.
The Spin Doctor

Trogladyte wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:16 am Ok. He's 22 somehow. He wants a full bike license for a few reasons ,- but it's not about getting mobile. He wants to be able to ride a road bike for the occasions when it might be useful. And it makes it easier to do casual trackdays as some years he doesn't get a race license.

With a CBT he can ride at 14.6hp 125 on L plates, but that sounds like it isn't what he wants.

So it's theory, CBT and then A2 licence. That's a full licence for a 35kw / 46.6hp bike. You can do CBT first, but must have a theory pass before taking the bike test.

If at 24 he wants to move up to an unrestricted class A licence then unfortunately it's another test.

The bad news is that training schools / test centres are largely shut down.