The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by v8-powered »

Thought it about time to bump everyone's favourite thread! :clap:

Insurance - what do the masses do to insure their watches? Currently ours are added to our home insurance but the cost is pretty high, need to add my wife's new watch too but its getting stupid so thinking about a separate policy....
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:32 pm Thought it about time to bump everyone's favourite thread! :clap:

Insurance - what do the masses do to insure their watches? Currently ours are added to our home insurance but the cost is pretty high, need to add my wife's new watch too but its getting stupid so thinking about a separate policy....
I don't have any for them, they get kept in a safe if they're not on my wrist.
Insurance is very expensive for watches and most don't bother.

I haven't been wearing a watch much but yesterday I had to attend something and I put one on because I felt like it. I hadn't worn one for ages and I was very conscious that I was wearing something expensive, that particular one has gone up several grand in the time I've owned it and to be honest I was looking forward to taking it off so I could stop worrying about knocking that appreciation straight back off by twatting it on a door frame.

It's like classic bikes, they appreciate in value so much that they stop being the functional thing that you bought and instead turn into something different. Mine should probably go in a safety deposit box, they're not really watches anymore, they're a future nest egg.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've been 'keeping an eye open' for a classic Seiko.

I'm after something pretty cheap and waterproof. I need something for swimming, snowboarding etc. I suppose I could get a cheapo digital, but wherea the fun in that?

Doesn't actually have to be a Seiko TBF, I just really like the 6139 with the yellow face. There are loads about and I reckon it'd look good on a canvas strap.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:04 am I've been 'keeping an eye open' for a classic Seiko.

I'm after something pretty cheap and waterproof. I need something for swimming, snowboarding etc. I suppose I could get a cheapo digital, but wherea the fun in that?

Doesn't actually have to be a Seiko TBF, I just really like the 6139 with the yellow face. There are loads about and I reckon it'd look good on a canvas strap.
The pogue is popular and does have some historical significance. Grab one while they are cheap. Something to wear everyday could be a SKX, although they’ve doubled in value since they stopped making them.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I learned about the Pogue in a historical context before I did in a watch context, IYSIM. I have the Speedmaster, Fisher AG7 pens and yellow pocket slide rules by the same route :D

As above there are loads of 'fake' pogues out there now since the space connection became well known. Genuine Seiko parts, but cobbled together bitsas.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:38 am I learned about the Pogue in a historical context before I did in a watch context, IYSIM. I have the Speedmaster, Fisher AG7 pens and yellow pocket slide rules by the same route :D

As above there are loads of 'fake' pogues out there now since the space connection became well known. Genuine Seiko parts, but cobbled together bitsas.
If it was me I would look to buy one from a forum, look for a long standing member selling one. Thewatchforum.co.uk had some good ones come up occasionally.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

SKXs are tantalisingly cheap aren't they?

I've also been looking for a watch I can wear on the outside of my leathers. None of my bikes have a clock and for some reason that's something I really miss!

At those sort of prices I wouldn't mind exposing one to the outside world at high speed.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am SKXs are tantalisingly cheap aren't they?

I've also been looking for a watch I can wear on the outside of my leathers. None of my bikes have a clock and for some reason that's something I really miss!

At those sort of prices I wouldn't mind exposing one to the outside world at high speed.
Yeah, I've got an 009 (Japan version) with a Pepsi bezel - it gets a fair amount of wear time, especially as a holiday watch. Nice and easy to read as well, so would be a good choice to wear on the bike. Another cheap option could be the Orient Mako which is a well thought of budget diver.

There ya go - this is a bargain.

https://www.creationwatches.com/product ... -1452.html

You might get stung for import duty though.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There are quite a few on t'Bay in this country. I don't have the best of luck with buying stuff from abroad.

Until today I didn't know there were Japan only variants of these models. So naturally now that I do know, that's what I want.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:01 am
Until today I didn't know there were Japan only variants of these models. So naturally now that I do know, that's what I want.
Have a look on Amazon Japan. I sometimes buy Japan only G Shocks, never had an issue.

The G Shock thing is a hobby not a business but there's money to be made selling the Japan only stuff over here.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Harry wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:57 am
v8-powered wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:32 pm Thought it about time to bump everyone's favourite thread! :clap:

I don't have any for them, they get kept in a safe if they're not on my wrist.
Insurance is very expensive for watches and most don't bother.

I haven't been wearing a watch much but yesterday I had to attend something and I put one on because I felt like it. I hadn't worn one for ages and I was very conscious that I was wearing something expensive, that particular one has gone up several grand in the time I've owned it and to be honest I was looking forward to taking it off so I could stop worrying about knocking that appreciation straight back off by twatting it on a door frame.

It's like classic bikes, they appreciate in value so much that they stop being the functional thing that you bought and instead turn into something different. Mine should probably go in a safety deposit box, they're not really watches anymore, they're a future nest egg.
I do try to rotate mine around so all do get worn but do always have that niggle in my mind.
More so my wife as she's a bit clumsy :D , lost a diamond necklace and a diamond earring within a year so we make sure all her stuff is covered.

I'm currently in the market for an Explorer 2 so maybe I should go down the safe box option for at home.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 pm Anyone care to make a guess what this is going to sell for?

https://www.phillips.com/detail/heuer/NY080120/20/

$2,208,000!!!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

wheelnut wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:33 am The pogue is popular and does have some historical significance. Grab one while they are cheap. Something to wear everyday could be a SKX, although they’ve doubled in value since they stopped making them.
The Poque is extremely popular, I want one too. So popular that there seems to be a cottage industry taking similar watches and turning them into Pogues. New face, new hands, new bezel and Pogues your uncle.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
moth

Post by moth »

Buy a safe, it's cheaper :)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
moth

Post by moth »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:04 am I've been 'keeping an eye open' for a classic Seiko.

Just buy a G-Shock...:)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:49 pm The Poque is extremely popular, I want one too. So popular that there seems to be a cottage industry taking similar watches and turning them into Pogues. New face, new hands, new bezel and Pogues your uncle.
Yeah, I think the seller is the important thing when it comes to watches like the Pogue. A lot of the ones on eBay will be frankenwatches.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am I've also been looking for a watch I can wear on the outside of my leathers. None of my bikes have a clock and for some reason that's something I really miss!
Guy I knew had a curved springy piece of metal bolted on the bars of his bike, as an artificial wrist :) He used it to hold a watch with metal 'elasticated' bracelet.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Horse wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am I've also been looking for a watch I can wear on the outside of my leathers. None of my bikes have a clock and for some reason that's something I really miss!
Guy I knew had a curved springy piece of metal bolted on the bars of his bike, as an artificial wrist :) He used it to hold a watch with metal 'elasticated' bracelet.
I used to just have a watch minus strap velcro'd to the headstock of my bike using that peel off sticky sided velcro.
Just a cheap analogue face Timex or Casio but it was that cheap it wasn't worth nicking.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:20 am SKXs are tantalisingly cheap aren't they?

Is that not a justification for buying the Rolex with the really long strap designed to be worn outside one's spacesuit?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Omega actually.

Already got one of those, complete with the strap. :D It does two laps of my wrist.