Are you changing your biking wants/needs over time as technology progresses? or stuck in a time warp ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

Re: Are you changing your biking wants/needs over time as technology progresses? or stuck in a time warp ?

Post by Bigyin »

I guess the looking back at older bikes reminds us of our yoof and growing up with those bikes. I can understand why Weeksy doesnt get it as he came to bikes later. As a kid i always wanted a bike, once i had one i always wanted another one.

The older bikes are about reminiscing but the modern ones make things a lot different. When i have CBT students all riding basic carbed 125's which they find difficult enough at the start and they ask about the Ducati and explain it has different electronic riding modes adjusting the suspension, power, traction control, ABS , anti wheelie and throttle response all while on the move you can see them just go WOW!!!!

I am really really trying to use the electronics more on the Multi and trusted them a lot more on track at Pembrey managing to activate the TC a couple of times onto the straight when hamfisted on the throttle and using the slipper clutch way more but 35 ish years of riding non electronic bikes takes a lot of new tricks for the old dog to learn but i am slowly getting there.

The adaptibility of the bike through all those easily adjustable settings have made it a joy to own and allowed me to use it for waaay more than i expected

I just have to remember when i get on the 600 Fazer its completely analogue with cock all rider aids :D
Couchy

Re: Are you changing your biking wants/needs over time as technology progresses? or stuck in a time warp ?

Post by Couchy »

I don’t think my wants and needs have changed much as bikes have always been toys, I’m glad that despite riding for 46 years I can still get on a 25hp bike and have fun. I’ll still slid up to a set of lights sideways giggling to myself. I’ll still ride purely for fun. I’m always open to try different bikes but I do like riding them quick and I have no issue taking a bike out it’s comfort zone, the Africa twin was enormous fun at donington and the Enfield at Cadwell the highlight of this year. I don’t have a proper fast bike anymore but that’s not to say one won’t appear at some point too 🤣👍
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'd hate to have any of the bikes from my yoof. All I remember is repairing them in the cold and wet and philips head screws and hex head screws made of cheese. I've some good memories and pics of my GT750 when I was 18, but looking back it was shite. While racing all my bikes were crap to pay for the race bikes. I enjoyed the LC350s and YPVS race bikes, but if somebody turned up at a trackday and offered me a go, I'd decline. It would be shite and destroy 8 years of amazing memories.

I had some decent bikes after racing. The CBR600 was fun in 1990, but a bit tame. Others followed, always new, but none I'd like to own again.

My first GSXR1000 was an eye opener as I bought one as soon as they came out. Wasn't my first new bike, but there was such a big thing in the press about them, it felt good. Was great. But 2 years later I bought the K3, which was a million times better. I rode a K1 and realised how bad it was as Suzuki rushed it out too soon.

I bought 6 brand new GSXR1000s and only the first one was exciting to buy. The others were my track tools. I'd wait till February and look for a bike within my £8,500 budget, then buy it on the phone. No excitement. Ride it home, then on track the next day. I needed a new bike every 2 years for warranty.

Over here prices are stupid. I sold my 2013 bike here when it was 6 years old for only a grand less than I bought it for. It was a steady bike and the end of the evolution for that bike. Was amazing and was happy to keep it.

When the 2018 bike came out, it was €19,500 here and I wasn't prepared to pay that. But one day we passed the local dealer and it had 4k off in a special offer with a free Yosh can. We walked in and both loved the MotoGP colours. Mrs Y asked how long the offer was for. When we were told there was a week left, she told the lady to get the paperwork sorted :D

It's a nice bike, but Suzuki did a bummer and made it too track obsessed. The GSXR forum I'm on all agree.

Portimao will decide whether I keep it

To me old bikes are like old TVs and old mobile phones...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

On the other hand....

When I started enduro, I fell in love with it. I struggled with the terrain and the bikes. My pal had the Beta X-Trainer and I found that easy to ride. I saw a deal for €5.500 new so I bought it. It taught me a lot, but soon found the bike's limits. It was an economical version of the proper Beta.

After 18 months I decided I wanted the best enduro bike. I had the money, so why not. 3 pals here bought the Husky and all the world leaders were on them, so one was bought.

I never had an inkling to buy an old bike for memories. I just wanted the best. And it's faaaaarking amazing.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:36 pmrepairing them in the cold
Rebuilding my CB175, dibbing my fingers into the tub of Swarfega, to find that, although it was still a gel, water in it had frozen into pointy ice crystals. Nice.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

One of those things is when I work on badly maintained older bikes I don't shear or damage fastener heads.

The only conclusion I can come to is that fasteners made from cheesium improve with age.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't think I would ever have just old bikes 'cause they're too much hassle. You really have to consider the maintenance of them as part of the ownership pleasure, rather than a necessary evil.

I think I'll always have something fairly new which starts on the button for every day riding. That's why I tend to have a Honda too!
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:11 am I don't think I would ever have just old bikes 'cause they're too much hassle. You really have to consider the maintenance of them as part of the ownership pleasure, rather than a necessary evil.

I think I'll always have something fairly new which starts on the button for every day riding. That's why I tend to have a Honda too!
Yep agreed- having a mixture of old and new makes me appreciate the respective merits of both. I enjoy the involvement required to keep old bikes running properly, but I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as much if I had to fix a bike every weekend to make sure it got me to work on a Monday.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nidge wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:12 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:11 am I don't think I would ever have just old bikes 'cause they're too much hassle. You really have to consider the maintenance of them as part of the ownership pleasure, rather than a necessary evil.

Yep agreed- having a mixture of old and new makes me appreciate the respective merits of both. I enjoy the involvement required to keep old bikes running properly, but I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as much if I had to fix a bike every weekend to make sure it got me to work on a Monday.
Does your new one give the same feeling of character as the older ones ? If not, what's missing ?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

cheb wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:34 am One of those things is when I work on badly maintained older bikes I don't shear or damage fastener heads.

The only conclusion I can come to is that fasteners made from cheesium improve with age.
Or, you're more careful now about how you go about removing them. ;)
non quod, sed quomodo
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

My bikes are that old that they've caused my shed to be cold and frozen my Swarfega.
Should I buy a newer bike to warm things up a bit or just chuck my Swarfega in the microwave?

Will a newer bike warm my cold shed up better or should I insulate it and heat it?

Are newer vehicles causing more climate change with all this extra warming and should people living close to the equator have old bikes to avoid the need for airconditioning?

Also, I'm having problems with my rods to cones ratio and am reduced to monochromatic vision, if I get a new bike will I get more cones and start seeing more colour again? It's not that much of an issue in my cold dark shed but I realky notice the degradation when I walk into someone elses new vehicle filled garage and all of a sudden its warm bright colours.
Can I get a modern retro style bike and have as much warmth gains as something totally modern in every way

So many questions, it needs proper research.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:15 am

Does your new one give the same feeling of character as the older ones ? If not, what's missing ?
That’s a really good question and quite difficult to answer because it would mean defining “character” and I’m not sure I can.
I think the Speed Twin does have character but it’s different to the old Triumphs, partly due to the 270° Crank (as opposed to 360°) but it also flatters with TC, ABS, powerful brakes so there’s less of a sense of “achievement”. My T140s have half the power of the Speed Twin (fortunately it’s the most useful half from 0-50bhp...) but the joy from completing a 200 mile round trip with no problems will never be found on a modern bike- heck even getting it to start first time puts a smile on my face- something that will never happen from simply pushing a button, so I think it’s something to do with differing expectations of each. Having said that I get immense pleasure from both- just in different ways. I also happen to think they are exceptionally pretty bikes which is what starts the love affair usually isn’t it?
Last edited by Nidge on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The looks are a massive factor yes. It still pleases me that in 2017 I saw my first XSR and titled the picture "wow" and I still get that now
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Kickstarting an old bike instantly puts it about a million points ahead in the character score :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 am Kickstarting an old bike instantly puts it about a million points ahead in the character score :D
I've never kickstarted a bike.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Neither had I until I got run Bonnie....well I had kickstarted a moped but I'm not counting that :D

Doing at the lights after stalling for the first time is an eye opener.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am The looks are a massive factor yes. It still pleases me that in 2017 I saw my first XSR and titled the picture "wow" and I still get that now
Yep- funnily enough I was in Premier Bikes before Christmas and was looking at the yellow and black speed block XSR they have in stock thinking what a lovely looking bike it is
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 amAttempting to kickstart an old BSA Starfire 250 instantly puts bruises on your shin - about a million points ahead in the character score :D
ftf me :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I wouldn't say that I'm stuck in the past, but I do prefer older bikes for a number of reasons, personally, I think they look better, most bikes now seem very "pointy" if that's such a thing.

Secondly, the amount of electronic gizmos is frightening, my BM has the electronic suspension that stays in the same mode permanently, ditto the only thing the ABS has done is to cost me a fortune to get fixed, I've never ever had it kick in. All these new bikes with different power curve switches seem a bit overkill, like if you need to turn it down in the rain, maybe you'd be better learning throttle control. I mean, even my 125 has injection, on a crude 125cc single. Which is sold in other markets with a carb.

People always play the reliability card, but I haven't had an on road breakdown in 20 years. The most reliable bike I've ever owned is my old 128k Bandit of 1996 vintage. I've owned it for over 15 years and spent less money on it than I did in less than 2 years of BMW ownership.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:35 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 amAttempting to kickstart an old BSA Starfire 250 instantly puts bruises on your shin - about a million points ahead in the character score :D
ftf me :(
You had a it easy...the Bonnie has rearsets, so the RHS footpeg is in the swing of the kicker. You have to fold it up to be able to kick the bike.

If the peg drops half way down mid kick - which it is wont to do - it scrapes all the way along the side of your leg as you complete the swing.