There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Post by weeksy »

Sitting watching some BSB from earlier in the year at Donington and thinking how I'm looking forward to getting back out in my new leathers and getting on track again.

That started me thinking about when Alan at PBTD will start putting dates together for Pembrey too, because we WILL be doing the extravaganza trip to Wales in July/August that's for sure.

We'll get back out to the cafes, get back to the days when you park back up at home listening to the tick tick tick noises as the exhaust cooks while sitting drinking beer and thinking about that last set of bends you nailed perfectly.
cheb

Re: There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Post by cheb »

Yep, and I'll get my workshop and shed back and actually start work on my bikes again.

And make it soon FFS.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

IMG-20201226-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20201226-WA0002.jpg (157.85 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 am Sitting watching some BSB from earlier in the year at Donington...
I remember the days when those events were packed and you had to search around to find somewhere to sit on the grass and watch the racing.
Live TV and big screens put an end to that, cheap supermarket booze killed the pubs, etc - the world changes and I reckon covid will have long lasting effects as well.

But yeah, it'll be nice when it all goes away and being able to travel to your chosen destination for a leisure activity becomes normal again.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

For the past 4 or 5 years I've not really been "into" biking very much, despite the fact I've done tens of thousands of miles on a bike! Biking was just a way to beat the traffic really. Riding in the cold and wet every day will soon take the fun out if it :D

2020 was looking quite different! The Bonneville arrived and a good mate of mine was getting properly into bikes having recently got his licence. You all know how that turned out. I've also changed jobs and dramatically changed my commute.

Fingers crossed 2021 is looking up. I would have booked some trackdays already if it weren't for uncertainty around childcare timing. Now that Christmas is out of the way I need to get my arse in gear and reassemble the Triumph in time for the (hopeful) coincidence of spring and the end of lockdown.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I realise how lucky I am. Life still goes on here.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I think CV 19 may be the making of sone of us.

Usual scenario, sitting at home and mate WhatsApps you "going out tomorrow on the Ducati, you coming?"
"Nah mate, doing some xyz"

That'll change now as people want to take advantage of every scenario, every opportunity etc. It'll be "yup, I'm there"

I think about the number of days this year I've woken up at 5am and done very little till the wife and boy get up. In the new world, I'm doing what I did after buying the XSR earlier in the year and I'm now getting up and hitting the roads/trails until they get up instead.

Or the scenario where you're debating that new KTM or helmet or jacket, I see people thinking "fuck it, why not" and pressing the button
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29512133@N05/3979930250/

A light at the end of the tunnel, it maybe you (or your colleague using a disk cutter to remove a failing CSR aerial)

For the railwaymen/nerds there is a prize for guessing the tunnel😂.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

I do whatever I want whenever I want anyway, so in that respect it won't make a lot of difference.
It has pushed me to evaluate what I get enjoyment from, or what's important, and I'm doing some things that I didn't used to - but that's actually meant I have less time for the bikes.

I went out on my CBR yesterday and actually really enjoyed myself (until I ran out of petrol and had to sit at the side of the road for an hour) but that's only the second leisure ride (here) in 2020. I think the golden age of motorcycling is over, that doesn't mean I'm packing in, but it does mean the days of packed race weekends and riding at every opportunity are over for me. It's now purely a leisure activity when I'm in the mood, rather than a way of life, if you'll excuse the cheesy phrase.
G.P

Post by G.P »

It should be whatever you want it to be. A few friends of mine have really got into biking more this year. One friend who never bothered getting a full licence back in the day and used to hoon around on an X7, did his direct access, bought a Ducati Monster 821 and put a few thousand miles on it between lockdowns. As a group of friends, we got into the habit of getting out for a decent ride each weekend rather than just sitting in pub gardens talking about it!
Another mate sold his Harley that never used to get used and now has A Monster, a Multistrada, and as of Christmas eve, an 899 Panigale. There's Foreign tours and Trackdays booked for 2021.
Much of this is because we've all been reminded of our mortality and people are more motivated to actually do stuff..
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Feeling pretty miserable with the lack of being able to plan for next year. I usually spend the winter planning and the summer doing.

Someone asked if a trip I planned for Wales this June is still going ahead next June and the likelihood is probably not. My reply was "Will the roads, mountains and sheep still be there? Yes. Will there be unrestricted travel in the UK? Probably. Will we be able to ride in groups larger than six in England? Probably not. Will people from different households be able to share accomodation? Almost certainly not".

I did a Wales trip this year for a group of 12 and it was a nightmare because the rules for riding were different in England and Wales. To make it compliant I had to find another ride leader so we could split the group up when riding in England (max 6 households) however, we could ride together in Wales because they had a rule where you could meet up to 30 people (outdoors) if it was a club event. I'm not expecting those type of mixed rules across Britain to end anytime soon.

I'd cancel everything and start again if it wasn't for other people's commitment and there are other events that people have paid for and while I've made sure people will get their money back if Covid stops play, it's still a lot of faff and disappointment should things get cancelled.

I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but no one knows where it is. It's a bonus that I like traveling on my own so if all else fails... I'll be ok :P
Lockdown refugee
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:21 am
Someone asked if a trip I planned for Wales this June is still going ahead next June and the likelihood is probably not. My reply was "Will the roads, mountains and sheep still be there? Yes. Will there be unrestricted travel in the UK? Probably. Will we be able to ride in groups larger than six in England? Probably not. Will people from different households be able to share accomodation? Almost certainly not".
I'm doubting that the Welsh National Rally will happen in 2021. It's scheduled for 1st May. It was postponed this year till October, then cancelled. If they do the same again, October might be possible, if the vaccine roll-out has moved along well.
Until then, it'll be solo day trips with a flask and a sandwich, I guess, like this year :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well the weather escalated !!! We've gone from -4 at the weekend so something about 12-13 today here !

It's been sunny and i've been WFH while siting in the garage with the door open ! Glorious !

I'm not getting the bike out just yet as the salt may only be on it's way out now, plus the roads are still wet, but i can certainly see it being this weekend for a trip to the Supermarket shopping.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It's warmer here, but miserable and grey, I want it to be warm enough to work in my garage so that I can completely strip down my YPVS for painting. Also going to strip and inspect the clutch and top end while the engine is out of the frame.
Honda Owner
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Trackdays at both Carteghena and Almeria next week. Sadly both circuits are in different provinces, and travel between the the provinces is banned.

So that's another two days to spend at home.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:22 am I think CV 19 may be the making of sone of us.

Usual scenario, sitting at home and mate WhatsApps you "going out tomorrow on the Ducati, you coming?"
"Nah mate, doing some xyz"

That'll change now as people want to take advantage of every scenario, every opportunity etc. It'll be "yup, I'm there"
I think I did a lot of that last year, where I probably didn't take advantage of every scenario. However, this is the first year in about 5 where I have not been out in winter and despite doing 4500 miles last, really miss it this year.

So 2021 is probably do more when I can and swallow more pills if my back hurts too much.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:41 pm ..but i can certainly see it being this weekend for a trip to the Supermarket shopping.
That's about as exciting as it gets atm, isn't it?
I've entered the Round Britain Rally again. I think it's a reasonable bet that seeking our landmarks solo, taking own food & drink etc will be within the rules, or a slightly bendable version of them.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

It was fairly warm and dry here so I got the bike out, that’s the mtb. First time I’ve not really felt the desire to ride a motorbike and not really bothered tbh. But yeah soon as allowed I’m out on the mtb, I’ve been planning .gpx routes and the garmin is loaded ready
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

It was warm enough in the shed tonight to finally contemplate starting the triumph project soon