What 'custom' would you build ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

What 'custom' would you build ?

Post by weeksy »

So in the hypothetical world where we all have knowledge, skills, time and money. Is there a bike/concept you'd like to build and why ?

Is there nothing else out there you'd go for instead already on the market.

If not build, then maybe restore ?

For me, it's more than likely a 'simple' restoration at least for the first try, i can't do machining, so it'd have to be something i learn as i go along. The first bike would be based upon either a Ducati 250/350 or an MV Agusta equivalent

But i'd like to start with something old and tired and make it into a magnificent work of art. It could be argued picking an old Honda like a CB175 or CD175 and part availability may make the world easier and better, but with time and money i'd like to think i could at least turn my hand so some of the trickier things eventually.

So are you going full Harley ? MAd Max ? Supermoto ? Super continent cruiser ?
Horse

Re: What 'custom' would you build ?

Post by Horse »

Ducati Diablo with an RT fairing and panniers.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I have more ideas than time or space to do them, I should finish the two I've got on the go at the moment, as a completely out there purely looks idea I have this

Chainsaw bike - very minimalist bike with single sided swing arm and Husqvarna two stroke engine,it would look like a big chainsaw with a front end and seat attached, the swing arm would look like a chain saw blade. It's have to be very neatly done to pull it off
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd convert my Enfield to a road going trials replica... If it wasn't for this dashed idleness.
cheb

Post by cheb »

It'd be a 2T supermoto style. An ideal bike to start with would be a TDR250...

I was going to say I value practicality over looks, but that would be bollocks as I like 2T engines.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Something like a Bimota Tesi or even better a Britten V1000. I'd love to do a V4 equivalent of the V1000.

You can see why I haven't built it. :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

I used to love buying a cheap write off and building back to standard, but you need to be in the right place at the right time. No use buying off a dealer who's already taking a cut.

These days all the old strokers I like are stupid money,even for piles of shite. So all my ambitions founder on those rocks.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:50 am Something like a Bimota Tesi or even better a Britten V1000. I'd love to do a V4 equivalent of the V1000.

You can see why I haven't built it. :D
So yeah....been thinking about this some more.

Engine would actually be the hardest bit I think. I would want a V4, to me V4 racing engine = Honda. But Honda don't really make a superbike V4 engine except for the RC213. Maybe a VFR800 with some serious internal upgrades would be pretty good.

Trouble is, I'd want to use the engine as a stressed member so that would mean all new casings and even a new block. So basically not a VFR engine any more! I doubt the standard engine is intended to be twisted and pushed all over the place by other forces either.

Parallelogram composite rear suspension would be pretty straightforward, given my work background. Ditto on structural seat/tank/bodywork combo all hung off the engine. Front would probably be machined aluminum wishbones with a composite "fork" too.

Bouncy bits fairly conventional 'rear' shocks...
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Bandit air cooled engine - worm burner frame with drag/t bars - minimal everything .
No Chrome whatsoever
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I'd like to rebuild my Puch, (first ever bike), that's resto 1.

I'd like to have a "mildly" breathed on Matchless G80 for tinkering with (resto 2)

Major build would be an R1150R engined cabin bike (think home made Peraves Ecomobile) for daily duties.

I'd also like to take over ownership of my dads JAPton and HRD, to keep them going . :)
non quod, sed quomodo
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Some years ago I came across an (ex GP) Honda rs250 engine and some other bits for sale in the US. I didn't buy it but the idea still lingers about transplanting something like that into a road bike.
Skub wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:59 am I used to love buying a cheap write off and building back to standard, but you need to be in the right place at the right time. No use buying off a dealer who's already taking a cut.

These days all the old strokers I like are stupid money,even for piles of shite. So all my ambitions founder on those rocks.
Ebay seems full of 'mint' old bikes, barn finds and older bikes that have already been restored being offered at stupid money. There was another thread about getting an IT175 to restore and I've been on the lookout for one all the ones on offer seem to be restored. I'm not into restoring one, as long as it runs I'd rather have it looking like a 40 year old bike.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

There are a lot of 250-400cc single or twin cylinder starter/commuter bikes out there at present. I know as I just bought a cb300r.

What I'd like to have instead is the frame and engine of an mc19 (the late 80s cbr250 with similar looks to an nc23 cbr400) with the swingarm off an mc22 (next generation cbr250, like an nc29), and the wheels, brakes (including ABS please), headlight and forks off my cb300r. With fuel injection.

Also, the moon on a stick, please.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Something like this I guess, but with a proper airbox and lights.
To be fair I flogged some of the ingredients I half had in mind for it when I was on my arse financially during first lockdown.
I still have my main KX500 which would be a possible conversion but that ones too good to do it to.
My "Second" KX was rougher with less to lose.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I would love to restore/rebuild an RD 350 LC or YPVS back to standard but never tried it as i have nowhere near the knowledge or ability to do so nor the facility/space at the moment.

Not much of a challenge to some but would be a huge deal to me. I havent ever thought about doing a "custom" as that would require imagination and some sort of design thought which i also dont seem to possess. I even struggle for xmas present ideas ffs :D

My neighbour across the road seems to be the man for projects but spends most of his time buying basket cases off ebay in boxes and getting them to a certain level for little money but a bit of time then selling on for someone else to finish it off. He has a couple he has done to completion which are very nice though
Last edited by Bigyin on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

The only thing that would really blow my frock up would be a British based cafe racer with alloy tank ....
Horse

Post by Horse »

A_morti wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:46 pm Also, the moon on a stick, please.
Does Sir have a preference on stick colour? ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

CB750 four cafe racer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:26 pm I would love to restore/rebuild an RD 350 LC or YPVS back to standard
They're easy to work on, the only parts prone to corrosion are the petrol tank and the bottom of the frame, but you need bloody deep pockets to do up an early YPVS, some of the parts are eye wateringly expensive, a set of clocks, £600, the unobtainable fairing bracket, bad ones go for £100, I haven't seen a good one in the 3 months I've had my YPVS.

Mine now has mk2 125LC clocks, £60, I've made my own fairing bracket out of metal I already had £0.
Honda Owner
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:26 pm I would love to restore/rebuild an RD 350 LC or YPVS back to standard
They're easy to work on, the only parts prone to corrosion are the petrol tank and the bottom of the frame, but you need bloody deep pockets to do up an early YPVS, some of the parts are eye wateringly expensive, a set of clocks, £600, the unobtainable fairing bracket, bad ones go for £100, I haven't seen a good one in the 3 months I've had my YPVS.

Mine now has mk2 125LC clocks, £60, I've made my own fairing bracket out of metal I already had £0.
Dont worry, i am following yours as i did with the big Zed rebuild as well ...... 2 of my favourite bikes from my yoof, owned one and wanted the other and almost bought a ZRX Kwacker instead of a ZX636 as a nod to the Lawson Rep ;)

Might even pop down one day next year for a look when we arent lepers anymore
Potter

Post by Potter »

I have my TDR in an MOT'd and ridable condition, the engine has been out and rebuilt, the forks re-chromed and rebuilt and rear shock linkage done, it rides as good as a new one, but it's untidy. I have all the stuff and boxes of NOS to do a full restore, including unobtainable new fairing/panels, so that's on the cards if I ever get the time.
It's not a custom, but it's about as quirky as I'm likely to get these days.

My days of putting mx bikes on the road or building a Frankenstein are gone and I've never been into show bikes, so I think if I do anything with any bikes I don't already have then they'll be standard restoration jobs on bikes from my youth - as long as parts are actually readily available, I'm a bit burned out with the hassle of non-standard parts and having to make them or scour the world to get them.