Best place to live in the UK?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: Best place to live in the UK?

Post by demographic »

Avoid the lake district, too expensive for what it is. Don't get me wrong, it's OK but theres nicer for less.
North of the border is generally nicer and cheaper and if you're retired the lack of motorway access is less of an issue.

Personally I feel that the country turns to shite at about Preston then gets slightly better the further it gets away from London. Other opinions are available and some of em may even be right.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Sister in law is looking at Woodbridge (husband got early retirment at 56), I suggested Maldon and Leigh on Sea as well. But I've suggested Saffron Waldon, voted best place to live one year in the Times but not near the coast. But another one is Sudbury, again a bit away from the coast.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Framlingham and Debenham are nice, but both are away from the main roads and lack amenities, I can see the appeal of them, but I wouldn't live in either, but I grew up in Needham Market which is a similar size, and I know that small town life isn't for me.

Woodbridge is similar, but is expensive, and is a 20 minute drive from the coast, if I wanted to live by the sea in Suffolk I'd buy a house in the nice part of Felixstowe, but it gets really cold on the East Coast in winter.

Sudbury is very much a working small market town, I used to work there 20 years ago and had some good night's out there, surrounding countryside is nice.

Where Big Yin lives, between Yarmouth and Cromer has fantastic beaches and is quiet most of the year, one of my favourite motorcycle rides is Ipswich, Fakenham, Cromer, Yarmouth and back to Ipswich.
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

I'm a west country boy. Personally I'd settle for the Kennet & Avon Canal rather than the coast, but if you want somewhere where you can access civilisation and not get completely overrun by tourists, I'd take the north Somerset coast.

This place in Porlock suits the bill and has the bonus of 2 garages and a store. Sorted.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 13823.html
David

Post by David »

If you try a post code search SY23 4BG....that's us ...but go NW about 400 metres...we can see about 4 houses from here.but have no direct neighbours. We get the very occasional walker....we can see about 600 metres of road a mile away...and it is amazing...could not be in a better place for social distancing.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Blakeney is amazing, as is much of North Norfolk. Not cheap though. But the good stuff rarely is.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:36 pm
G.P wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:16 pm I'm a west country boy. Personally I'd settle for the Kennet & Avon Canal rather than the coast, but if you want somewhere where you can access civilisation and not get completely overrun by tourists, I'd take the north Somerset coast.

This place in Porlock suits the bill and has the bonus of 2 garages and a store. Sorted.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 13823.html
Is that house right next to a farm or a factory?
I'm not sure the location is ideal?
I thought farm. My next thought was noise or smell or both.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:25 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:52 am
...if I wanted to live by the sea in Suffolk I'd buy a house in the nice part of Felixstowe, but it gets really cold on the East Coast in winter.
That's not a bad shout, I hadn't thought of there, we always stop at least once a year for a snack at the Boat House Cafe at Bawdsey Manor, it's nice down there.

Didn't realise it was colder than anywhere else though.
Dunno if it's colder than elsewhere in the UK, but it feels it when the wind comes off the sea in winter (I sound like some old sea dog, but the reality is I'm a soft inlander who works by the sea)

Felixstowe is alright, I liked it when I lived there (but I was young and getting loads of sex), but while Felixstowe is about 30 yards from Bawdsey as the crow flies, it's about 40 miles by road. The Hollesley peninsula (where Bawdsey is) has some nice areas, but there's some weirdos live out there - and that's weird by Suffolk standards, serious inbreed country.
Honda Owner
irie

Post by irie »

Harry wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:05 pm We fancy a move.

I'd prefer somewhere near the coast, or at least a short drive from the coast, somewhere with a decent marina would be a definite plus.
Woods and good dog walking places close by, decent shooting grounds, etc.
Detached house, old or new, don't mind, but not in the middle of a town, on the outskirts would be ok.

Where are the best places to live in England?
Chichester.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

weeksy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 pm ME, i'd be somewhere over Bognor Regis way, but the problem you'll have is that coastal towns/areas are always chaotic at weekends etc.
You just have to know the back roads, and you only have to avoid the grockles for a couple of months ...
Last edited by irie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Harry wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 pm
Felixstowe is alright, I liked it when I lived there (but I was young and getting loads of sex)...
Yeah I heard there were a lot of sailors down there :lol:
by Irie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:22 pm

weeksy wrote: ↑Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:17 pm
ME, i'd be somewhere over Bognor Regis way, but the problem you'll have is that coastal towns/areas are always chaotic at weekends etc.
You just have to know the back ways.

Bugger Bognor !

Where's the bumming forum........ :shhh:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Harry wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:00 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:52 pm
Felixstowe is alright, I liked it when I lived there (but I was young and getting loads of sex)...
Yeah I heard there were a lot of sailors down there :lol:
Says the man who's chosen to live in the middle east.
Honda Owner
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Irie wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Chichester.
Whilst Chichester is very gentile - the ring road is a complete pain in the arse making getting anywhere a nightmare... living there would do my head in!
But it does have good sailing / windsurfing / kitesurfing around...