Jobs you have done because of isolation you otherwise wouldn't

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
harum-scarum

Re: Jobs you have done because of isolation you otherwise wouldn't

Post by harum-scarum »

demographic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 pm Nowt yet but I might have snagged a job working at the local hospital.
Likely find out tomorrow.

Beats where I am now as making lodges for wankas doesn't seem essential to me. Plus I'm getting sick of the hierarchy where I am. Too many eejits in charge.
Whereas, as a former NHS employee, I can confirm there are n o hierarchies or eejits in the NHS. Not.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

harum-scarum wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:12 pm
demographic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 pm Nowt yet but I might have snagged a job working at the local hospital.
Likely find out tomorrow.

Beats where I am now as making lodges for wankas doesn't seem essential to me. Plus I'm getting sick of the hierarchy where I am. Too many eejits in charge.
Whereas, as a former NHS employee, I can confirm there are n o hierarchies or eejits in the NHS. Not.

Oh, I'm absolutely positive there is, just different ones. The site agent from the site I was on at the beginning of this week is however the thickest, most criminally negligent eejit I have had the misfortune of working under during my career as a carpenter and he's had strong competition.

The hospital job fell through anyway, the works there but they can't get the gear from the builders merchants.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I have a couple chalets to close down and I am dragging jobs out to stave off boredom!

Rather than just listing the wine in the cave, I've written a spreadsheet showing their location too.

Same with the champagne fridge, and the small wine fridge 'downstairs'.

I've been playing quite a bit of guitar, there's now 2 songs I can almost strum along to!

Spent a lot of time on my new hobby....

Wasting the time of scammers from Twitter!
Pretty much everyday I'll be added by an attractive single lady who's looking for a relationship. I engage with them, as soon as they want the conversation to move to google play, I agree, and then report their account to Twitter as a scam.
I string them along for as long as possible, promise to buy them the all important "google play card" just 'as soon as I can get to the city'.

Depending on how it goes, sometimes I'll call them out, one this week asked me for £50 so I said I'd do them a deal, "you send me £20 and I'll tell you everything you got wrong that made it clear you were a scammer"

My theory is, all the time they are talking to me they are not talking to someone more venerable/ gullible
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Day 15 here and running out of jobs and materials. So chose to wash the GSXR. I only used to wash them at start of track season and the day before I sold it.
But it's nearly a year old now, so what the hell. A while ago I left the garage roof window open during the Calima, so it was a bit (ahem) dusty.

When I say washed, I mean jet washed. No polish or rags were harmed during thus cleaning operation.

Looks good now but was surprised how much crap came off it.
20200328_123803_resized.jpg
20200328_123803_resized.jpg (131.89 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
20200328_124654_resized.jpg
20200328_124654_resized.jpg (159.17 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Well, this wasn't me, and I guess you probably couldn't call it a job, but this seemed the most appropriate place for it, made me smile :D
https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAndrewCott ... rticles%2F
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Just filmed my daughter with face mask and flippers on, sitting in a rubber dingy with a sheet of blue plastic behind, in our extension, her singing to Bruno Mars Count on me. It appears its for a video all the teachers and LSA's are doing to send to the kids tomorrow who are all elearning. Although what the subject is I don't know but it filled an hour of our time
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

My leathers have never been cleaned and conditioned so well. I felt forced to do it.

ninja

Post by ninja »

I've realised that all the jobs I havent had time to do over the years, are actually jobs I can't be bothered to do. :|
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Dug the garden and planted loads of veg.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Jetwashed the patio, then the kids drew all over it in chalk.

replaced the carb diaphragm on the mower, stripped the strimmer carb and replaced the fuel return line that was pissing pre-mix down the back of my leg.

Wired up a solar charger to the wife's old car battery for the shed. Connected a wireless 12v relay and LED strip light.

Sorted through two storage tubs full of random nails, screws, brackets and fixings.

Docca

Post by Docca »

Replaced about ten panels on a shed roof and then covered the roof with the help of two of mine.

Built two planters, filled them and seeds now growing.

Worked up a home learning syllabus with wife ( ex teacher) and trying to limit the time the kids spend on tech.

Gutted a shed. Now in the process of converting it to an office/exercise/chill out space. Two big Hippo bags now out front full of shit we didn't need, waiting for collection.

Continued to do the day job, albeit mostly remotely. Also worked several shifts on inpatient wards looking after sick people with mental health issues. We open our Covid ward in 10 days and I'm working their, too.

About do some hair cutting. This will be the hardest job of the lot. I've got 3 bowl sizes to use as reference
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Ordered decking online from Wickes, up to 28 days for delivery. Took an hour in the queue to get to the website.

So as and when it arrives I can make good on the rotting timbers on our decking...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Emptied the dishwasher. That shows the wife, who claims I never do it :clap:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Signed up to the French "Pole Emploi" website, looking for work, and hoping for a handout (not (m)any companies recruiting seasonal holiday staff right now :( )
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Ended up making a bird table for wife to stick nuts and seeds on for local tweety things. High enough to cats have a challenge....

Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Whoo hoo. 3 for 3 on small domestic engines. Decided to service the generator, but when I dragged it out I could smell the unforgettable stench of stale fuel...

Luckily I must have run the carb dry last time I used it, but the petcock was makny as fuck and wasn't passing fuel. removed the tank and drained a litre of gopping fuel into a bucket. Plug and filter were okay, oil lever was fine. Left the petcock in the ultrasonic tank for 30 min, didn't have any cleaning fluid so knocked something up from vinegar, water and flash floor cleaner. Seemed to work fine. All back together with fresh fuel and a new pull cord and away it went. Cut down an old lorry ratchet strap I found in a layby years ago and it sits nicely on a steel dolly that was being thrown out at work.