What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Made and fitted a hex adapter for my nippy vice, and converted a drill chuck so it fits my jig borer. the latter will lose me a bit of accuracy but it'll speed up non precision jobs, and I suspect the machine's better than me. It's certainly got a higher tolerance.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 pm I tried to pay for my parking for the winter - turns out it's tomorrow I have to do that. But was a good little walk - I tried the hiking boots a friend gave me again, but this time laced them differently. Last time I tried them I had huge blisters on my heels :( :( This time my heels were fine :thumbup: Now I guess I have to wear them a lot at home to get them to be a bit less stiff :o
Wear two pairs of socks with new boots, prevents blisters.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:31 pm I tried to pay for my parking for the winter - turns out it's tomorrow I have to do that. But was a good little walk - I tried the hiking boots a friend gave me again, but this time laced them differently. Last time I tried them I had huge blisters on my heels :( :( This time my heels were fine :thumbup: Now I guess I have to wear them a lot at home to get them to be a bit less stiff :o
Wear two pairs of socks with new boots, prevents blisters.
No room in these for two pairs. Next outing will be with decent socks tho instead of the cheapy one I've been wearing!! LOL

Main issue was heel lift it seems - now I've laced them differently they are nearly ok!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:32 pm No room in these for two pairs. Next outing will be with decent socks tho instead of the cheapy one I've been wearing!! LOL

Main issue was heel lift it seems - now I've laced them differently they are nearly ok!!
Two really thin pairs. It isolates the friction to between the socks. :)

Decent socks: Merino's :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You can get socks with double layered bits on the heels and toes. Mrs D has some but I can't remember the brand.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Worked a 12 hr night shift, got home, made Mrs M a cup of tea and she told me the roof/chimney was leaking. Went up on the roof, chimney pointing is shot and flashing isn't really being held in by any mortar. Joy, my fault as it was one of those jobs I never got round to this year. Next weather window to attempt a repair is at least a week away and the forecast is for heavy showers then heavy/torrential rain before heavy showers over the next week so I've just spent the last hour wrapping a tarp around the chimney in the hope it'll do the job until I can attempt a repair.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:58 pm You can get socks with double layered bits on the heels and toes. Mrs D has some but I can't remember the brand.
I guess that's similar to ski socks (but possibly different areas!! LOL) I'll have a look out!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yesterday I started to make some late mincemeat. I usually make a big jarful in January and leave it to 'mature' till December!! Didn't get around to that in January and had other things on my mind the rest of the year

But yesterday I set the fruit to soak up lots of alcohol! Never understood why so little is recommended :lol: :lol: Just added all but the grated apple (don't usually do that as always worried it would go off or go soggy. But I'm going to use this batch in the next few days, so I'm going to try it!

Made some very short almond pastry yesterday too

Made some marzipan to go in a stollen

Stollen dough in for a first prove. Hoping that works out!!

Once that is in the oven, I'll make the mince pies ready to bake as soon as the stollen is out

I've never made stollen before and don't have a huge amount of luck with recipe involving yeast, but I do so love a good stollen, so am crossing fingers here!! :D :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Got up, shit/shave/shower & heading off to the RockStore. The vintage bike club blokes have a third Sunday of the month ride deal, we added "Kaw Day" to that. Forecast down the hill is 80deg, 8-) but up here it's currently a little above 20deg. :shock:
Sorted the ZRX yesterday & it's all tickety boo.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:08 am In the weeks leading up to Christmas I usually meet my Dad for lunch at the Sun Inn, Dunsfold. It's a great pub, nice food and good location. Unfortunately they are closed for lunches at the moment so my Dad booked us a table somewhere else. This other location is a pub 20 minutes from me that I've never heard of. I arrive first, in the middle of a Friday lunchtime, and I'm the only one there. They have everything available on the menu which is highly suspicious (so it's all frozen, right?). I ordered the healthiest thing I could find, the only thing with vegetables. Ladies and gentleman, I give you my first and last Christmas Dinner Pizza.

Image20201218_141728 by Trinity 765, on Flickr

I know The Sun, it used to be my local when I lived in Dunsfold. Where did you go instead?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

derek badger wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:00 am
I know The Sun, it used to be my local when I lived in Dunsfold. Where did you go instead?
The Bull Inn, Henfield - not in the same vicinity. I'm in Brighton and my Dad is in Wokingham so draw a straight line between us and The Sun is pretty much half way. Dunsfold is a bit of an oasis.
Lockdown refugee
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I think we’re going to go and do a spot of panic buying today,
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 am I think we’re going to go and do a spot of panic buying today,
How many fig rolls constitutes panic buying ?
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:34 am
The Bull Inn, Henfield - not in the same vicinity. I'm in Brighton and my Dad is in Wokingham so draw a straight line between us and The Sun is pretty much half way. Dunsfold is a bit of an oasis.
Funnily enough I know The Bull too, having commuted back roads from Surrey to Reading for a few jobs over the years.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

derek badger wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:28 am
Funnily enough I know The Bull too, having commuted back roads from Surrey to Reading for a few jobs over the years.
Actually, I'm thinking of Arborfield. Henfield is over near Horsham, isn't it?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

derek badger wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26 am

Yes. Henfield is in Sussex :P
Lockdown refugee
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

derek badger wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26 am

I was thinking that wasn't the most direct route :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

A friend drove up for a coffee. Well, she actually drove up to collect a photo studio kit I had and didn't want. But managed to pick a day that she had the kids in creche or something so she had time for a coffee!

She had hot choc with chantilly cream and a waffle - I had a caramel waffle and a vin chaud! Before 10am!! First alcohol I've had since March :lol: :lol:

Awesome to meet up with a proper friend and we are both happy to sit outside to drink and eat so could look at the mountains and get a bit cold!! I miss proper friends. The ones up here have me in the 'old person' zone it seems :roll: :roll:

I've made some mince pies and had a long chat with my brother

Physio in a bit, so a good start to the day and a good afternoon too :D :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Allowed a visit with my Dad today. His nurses laid on an Xmas party for the inmates and I asked him how it went.

He said he didn't go down,because it was full of old wimmin. :lol:

He's 93.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Finished night shift, went home, fiddled with my leaking roof a bit but it was pissing down so gave that up as a bad job, grabbed a few hours kip before going back to work for a late. Discovered the old work shop is being emptied so now have a nice dexion work bench and record vice for my shed in the back of the car.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."