V5 error?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bennydog42

V5 error?

Post by Bennydog42 »

Hi everyone.

I’ve recently received a letter from the DVLA. It states that there is a discrepancy between the vin number on the new mot certificate, and on the V5. They asked me to check the number direct from the bike. There is an error the last number on the bike is 5. On the v5 it’s 6.

So then I checked the engine number. On the engine it’s 18. On the v5 it’s 27. (This is just the last two digits of the full number)

There is no damage to the engine number or the vin from the headstock.

Do the DVLA get these numbers wrong? Has anyone had experience of anything like this? The bike is a forty year old Suzuki GSX250..

Thank you.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: V5 error?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Jesus, that's a can of worms, the frame number could be an honest mistake, could be a stolen bike, the engine number sounds like someone has changed the number and not told the DVLA - legally you don't have to have an engine number, but the frame number has to match the number on the V5
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

Everything else seems ok.. What wold be the chance that you could get a replacement engine with the six digit number exactly the same apart from the last two numbers being different?

The vin number is only one digit out..

I really hope that the bike hasn’t been stolen or cloned.. 😏
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bennydog42 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:53 am Hi everyone.

I’ve recently received a letter from the DVLA. It states that there is a discrepancy between the vin number on the new mot certificate, and on the V5. They asked me to check the number direct from the bike. There is an error the last number on the bike is 5. On the v5 it’s 6.

So then I checked the engine number. On the engine it’s 18. On the v5 it’s 27. (This is just the last two digits of the full number)

There is no damage to the engine number or the vin from the headstock.

Do the DVLA get these numbers wrong? Has anyone had experience of anything like this? The bike is a forty year old Suzuki GSX250..

Thank you.

How long have you had the bike?

Virtually anything could have happened to it in 40 years.
non quod, sed quomodo
Bennydog42

Post by Bennydog42 »

I’ve only had the bike since September. Yes it’s true that anything could have happened in forty years. 😏
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I've had a few vehicles with VIN anomalies and at least one bike where I didn't bother telling them about the new engine for a while
David

Post by David »

The vin is a simple mistake. The engine number....tell them, it isnt going to matter.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

40 years old? Could it have been a despatch hack? There's a pretty good chance if it was that it had an engine swap which wasn't notified. I never bothered as the bikes were usually worn out and binned after a couple of years.
David

Post by David »

The other option is confirm the vin and tell them about the engine number later.