Electric bikes, the next step

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

Re: Electric bikes, the next step

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 pm I think a leccy motor could be good in an enduro bike. On some tricky climbs it can drop out of power band before you can change gear.
Seamless power could be good. Same in a trials bike.
KTM already make one ..... you can join weeksy in the church of Orange worship ;)

http://www.drysdalemotorcycles.co.uk/ne ... -2020.aspx
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:40 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 pm I think a leccy motor could be good in an enduro bike. On some tricky climbs it can drop out of power band before you can change gear.
Seamless power could be good. Same in a trials bike.
KTM already make one ..... you can join weeksy in the church of Orange worship ;)

http://www.drysdalemotorcycles.co.uk/ne ... -2020.aspx
I'll skip the council house version and wait for the Husqvarna model :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This might be a bit small for me ;)

But this is quite manly :mrgreen:

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm gonna stick with petrol bikes, they'll be here for a good while yet. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter

Post by Potter »

I'd very happily ride one, if they get to be on a par with ICE bikes financially and with the infrastructure/technology to make riding them everywhere no problem.

Right now I have no idea how much petrol is in my bike, but I know there is a petrol station within 5 miles in any direction, so I'd probably check how much is in right before I twist the throttle to set off, knowing that if it's low I can call in and get some on my way out.
That sort of jump-on-and-go infrastructure/technology isn't there for electric vehicles.

Also, if I run out of petrol now it's a short walk to the petrol station to bring some petrol back to my bike in a can, two minutes to pour it in and away I go.
I can't bring a can of electrons back, and even if I could then how long to re-charge the batteries?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Harry wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:50 am I'd very happily ride one, if they get to be on a par with ICE bikes financially
Apart from low CC scooters for commuting, I don't think any bikes make sense financially, especially if used solely for recreational riding. Do many people compare service intervals and costs, and mpg, when choosing? Not really.
Harry wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:50 am That sort of jump-on-and-go infrastructure/technology isn't there for electric vehicles.
But that's the biggie.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I suspect it will be the owners who change, not the bikes.
David

Post by David »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:58 am I suspect it will be the owners who change, not the bikes.
Bikers don't change...they die off.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So the younger ones will grow up with steadily more electric vehicles and different notions of what ownership entails. Same difference :D
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:26 pm Look on the bright side, it will take ages to get through a set of tyres as the bike only has about 100 miles range before needing a full recharge.

Zero have certainly made a step in making electric bikes more of a complete package and looking good.

A lot is being made of the 20K price but thats the top of the range bikes. Their bikes actually start under 10K ;)

Havent been to the showroom for a look yet even though its less than an hour away

https://www.englishelectricmotorco.com/ ... torcycles/
You really should go there and try one out. Alec the owner is a really nice bloke (who also builds, and wins awards, for some beautiful petrol engines custom bikes). He stocks a number of electric bikes from many different makers.

I had a Lifan Eco3 scooter which was really good-maybe Chinese but has a Bosche hub motor (as do many Chinese electric bikes). Only sold it because I was moving abroad. I would say that it did struggle on steep hills, otherwise it was fine. Build quality was very good and panels etc were dirt cheap. The battery could be charged on the bike, or be lifted out and charged indoors.

Also available in KTM orange....
20201212_103604.jpg
20201212_103604.jpg (177.69 KiB) Viewed 938 times
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

There are various companies in Malta with rent by the minute Niu scooters. They're brilliant, but 45km/h limited speed isn't where it's at.

The Niu rqi was touted as the next (first?) Big thing in electric bikes back in January, but seems to have crept under a rock since then.

For me, electric bikes don't have to be on a par with ICE. They just have to be affordable and have a genuine 70mph top speed which doesn't reduce on a hill and a day's worth of commuting range. Half a day would do it if you can charge at work. Realistically, it's the same for anyone using a bike as daily transport.

Most of us want a full tank's worth of range and instant recharging like petrol bikes, but honestly it's for a few weekends a year when we get to go touring, and we don't actually need it. Same as no one needs 100hp on a road bike.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I test-rode a couple of Zeros last year. I thoroughly enjoyed riding them. Seriously quick off the mark. Decent handling, comfortable riding position and surprisingly light - no weight penalty over a ICE bike.

The price is an issue. Range is getting there. I need about 150 miles range to run a course. They're close with the range extenders in place, but they'd still come up short on my more distant start points. But if I was doing CBT / DAS and could leave a bike parked up and charging overnight at the school I'd think very seriously about one.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I know they are inevitable BUT please make them sound better, like a tie fighter or pod racer, anything but the the whiny milk float sound the Live wire that came past me made.

I've "stolen" the Santa post.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Apart from the enflated range estimates I like the idea of this and the bloke testing it seemed to have a hoot.
Realistically a hundred miles is a I'd really care about and its about what I get down to the reserve on my Slingshot when riding it... erm... normally.

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Good vid tbh, but why all the bullshit on range. 🤷🏻‍♂️ The bikes are good, the motors are good, just need a liquid to charge them. 😉
Yamaha rocket 3
Skub

Post by Skub »

They'll need to work some on the aesthetics of the 'engine',or maybe they'll be lazy and hide the ugliness of the electric lumps behind plastic.

The end of the naked maybe?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 pm They'll need to work some on the aesthetics of the 'engine',or maybe they'll be lazy and hide the ugliness of the electric lumps behind plastic.

The end of the naked maybe?
We're just used to seeing carbs, exhausts, etc. Electric motors of course don't have any of that.

As before, I reckon its the owners who will change not the bikes. If you grow up seeing electric vehicles then a fancy titanium exhaust seems about as relevant as a steam engine doesn't it?

Same reason I think spannies look a bit odd.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:04 pm Same reason I think spannies look a bit odd.
Freak. :shock: :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

For reference, I work with a lot of young people who have just finished or at still doing various engineering degrees, generally in subjects like automotive or motorsport engineering. They are of course mostly massive petrol heads.

They all think electric vehicles are cool and are more interested in clean white self driving Teslas than bean can exhausts.

It's just changing times and opinions.

Full disclosure: I work for an electric motor company so naturally my colleagues are somewhat biased!