Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Dodgy69

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Dodgy69 »

Did Boris just want a head start on getting the vaccine to our shores. ?

Why isn't the rest of the world taking our word for it over the safety of the vaccine, someone said we have the best scientists.?

Time will tell i suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:56 am Did Boris just want a head start on getting the vaccine to our shores. ?

Why isn't the rest of the world taking our word for it over the safety of the vaccine, someone said we have the best scientists.?

Time will tell i suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Because it doesn’t work like that ..there are thousands of different medications in use in parts of the world that are not licensed here or vice versa... Each country makes it’s own rules ..I did read that Russia had been using a vaccine already that was not approved ? But that seems to have gone quiet ...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Gedge wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am..I did read that Russia had been using a vaccine already that was not approved ? But that seems to have gone quiet ...
See my post yesterday (?), listing all the different vaccines.

Edit: I can't find it and I know roughly what I'm looking for :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Gedge wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am I did read that Russia had been using a vaccine already that was not approved ? But that seems to have gone quiet ...
I'm just surprised China didn't have one ready to use on its own population before it released the virus on the rest of the world.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:11 am
I'm just surprised China didn't have one ready to use on its own population before it released the virus on the rest of the world.
Perhaps it did but it only used it on people they wanted to keep alive.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:48 am
Sputnik V – formerly known as Gam-COVID-Vac and developed by the Gamaleya Research Institute in Moscow – was approved by the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation on 11 August. Experts raise considerable concern about the vaccine’s safety and efficacy given it has not yet entered Phase 3 clinical trials. A second vaccine in Russia, EpiVacCorona, has also been granted regulatory approval, also without entering Phase 3 clinical trials.
A few pages back.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:15 am
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:11 am
Perhaps it did but it only used it on people they wanted to keep alive.
Well, if we believe their stats China, the epicentre of the outbreak, and a really densely populated country, has a tiny amount of cases, and miniscule amounts of deaths.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bit of a change of direction for sputnik...the first four went into space. Hope the fans don't get too upset with this new look.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Gedge wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:58 am
Because it doesn’t work like that ..there are thousands of different medications in use in parts of the world that are not licensed here or vice versa... Each country makes it’s own rules ..I did read that Russia had been using a vaccine already that was not approved ? But that seems to have gone quiet ...
Well yeah you would have to satisfy national laws (like UK statutory Instruments) and be subject to audit by your national regulator (like the UK MHRA) and then there are associated regulators like the EU EMA and the US FDA that you would do well to comply with as well if you want to flog a lot of whatever snake-oil it is you're marketing. Typically the regulations are reasonably closely aligned because otherwise it's a big pain in the arse.

I don't know enough about what goes on specifically in Russia to comment. I did speak to a nice FDA man who had a very low opinion of what went on in medical trials in China - but then he probably would(!). As it happens I had a fairly low opinion of the competence of the FDA man too.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Harry wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:24 am
Nidge wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:53 pm
I watched a decent film recently called ‘71 about a young squaddie in Belfast. There was a great line in it:

“Posh cunts telling thick cunts to kill poor cunts. That's the army for you. It's all a lie.”
Great film and a provocative line.
It paints quite a dim view of the army in 1971.

"Posh cunts telling thick cunts to do something" is how the world works, not just the army.
Not quite right, this is the correct one...;)

"Posh thick cunts telling poor thick cunts to do something", is how the world works!

Another fan of 71 here too btw - i have it on DVD
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Go and do something Greenie 😉

It is a great film- the lead character portrays a load of emotions without delivering many lines
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:50 pm Go and do something Greenie 😉

It is a great film- the lead character portrays a load of emotions without delivering many lines
He was very good in Starred Up as well.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Greenman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:49 pm
"Posh thick cunts telling poor thick cunts to do something", is how the world works!
I know which one I'd rather be, the former have nicer watches ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

There's a huge drive for testing in the ski resorts here. My area is testing on Friday afternoon, so I'd best go along

Not sure if it's to decide where they start with the vaccine or just to see how bad the virus 'actually' is in the area. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter - we have one of the highest levels (apparently) in France. The main reason the resorts aren't opening the lifts isn't because you might catch the virus in the queues, but that the hospitals are too close to full capacity - no room for ski crash victims :roll: :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 am Bit of a change of direction for sputnik...the first four went into space. Hope the fans don't get too upset with this new look.
I was never a fan, bit overrated IMO

[
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Viruses mutate (they always have) so how effective is the vaccine now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308211
Lockdown refugee
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:06 pm Viruses mutate (they always have) so how effective is the vaccine now?

According to the news and the work at Porton Down the new strain is no more dangerous than the original and there is no reason to believe it will be resistant to the vaccine ..no doubt the Tinfoil hatters will choose to disbelieve this ...
Horse

Post by Horse »

inewham wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm I know someone who had it in march and has just tested positive again, so presumably a different strain
Or his resistance reduced over time?
millemille

Post by millemille »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:06 pm Viruses mutate (they always have) so how effective is the vaccine now?

My understanding is that so long as the protein coating the virus remains unchanged the vaccine's will continue to work.
irie

Post by irie »

inewham wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm I know someone who had it in march and has just tested positive again, so presumably a different strain
On the plus side he has no symptoms second time around so hopefully his immune system is now capable of fighting the second variant
The PCR test is sensitive enough to detect dead virus.

Plenty of online info about this. For example:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3699
This is because PCR is not a test of infectiousness. Rather, the test detects trace amounts of viral genome sequence, which may be either live transmissible virus or irrelevant RNA fragments from previous infection
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno