COVID-19 and 'god'

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: COVID-19 and 'god'

Post by the_priest »

WheeliePig wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:06 am
the_priest wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm
WheeliePig wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:40 pm
I disagree, now is the time people are being pulled mentally from pillar to post, with some placing false hopes on things like 'god'. Why is my opinion less important than someone who thinks 'god' is real. The thread is not abusive, its not even contentious, it's fact based. It's a question, why has no one asked one of these holy folk wtf they hink their 'god' is doing.

I'm tired of the news wheeling out people of faith to pick holes in what the government are doing. It's piss easy to sit on the sidelines and pick holes in running the country in such dire times. IF 'god' was real, and IF we are to believe in the bible, we have to accept he created ALL living things, this includes viruses. We are told he is ever-loving, never-failing, omnipresent and omnipotent, yet conveniently those of faith are blaming everyone but 'god' and yet IF 'god' is real, he sat down and decided to do this to his 'children'. I find that abhorrent.
You have an issue with God, then talk to Him about it. You issue of God chosing to do things to people, is mostly people doing thing to people and the effects of people manipulating creation in a bad way. Why take it out on others. Me, I talk to God about the things that piss me off, but I also do what I can about the things that piss me off, I also do the things that make a difference to other people's lives. I am not a spectator and neither is he. His Son Jesus Christ came into the world to bring love, hope and salvation to all who chose to believe in him.

If you do not believe then what have you lost? Why is it so important for you to disparage other people's faith?
I have an issue with faithers going on TV moaning about the Government, when they don't moan about the being that must be responsible. I'm not disparaging anyone's faith, I'm curious why no faither hasn't been asked the question of 'why did you do this' to their 'god' or more to the point, why we still allow the ramblings about sky fairies on the news like it is fact. It's utter tripe.

You choose to believe, and are mortally wounded it would seem that someone has asked a simple question. Why is that so? Why do I have to listen to 'faithers' without asking a question? Ignore them? Is that your answer? If so, you are just as free to ignore this post, are you not?

As for "talking to 'god'" - if you talk to any other non-existent being, you're classed as mad... yet somehow talking to 'god' isn't so... #rolleyes

I have a faith, it is valid to me and to billions of other people. The language you use is simply confrontational. It is not a dialogue but a rant. However, to answer your question, people of faith are on TV because it is relevant to a huge percentage of the viewers. Yes, more people believe in God than those who do not... And, they have not been asked that question you pose "why has your God done this" because it is stupid. Simple as that. You want to put issues created and manifested by Human Beings at God's feet? The science proves it is man that has messed this up.

What is Kier Starmer doing? He is commentating on the faults of the Governmentas the opposition? In the same light, do you realise that their are Bishops who are also a Members of the House of Lords and hold Government to account? They are fulfilling their Eccesiastical position in bringing up the issues that are seen to be of note.

BTW I am definitely not mortally wounded. I take no offense at what you say, just how you say it. So, keeping things in persepctive, I have faith, you do not. That you think that is daft is your opinion, but sometimes you should, for the common good, keep that to yourself. I will never disparage someone for not believing as I do, regardless of faith, and I work with a very wide faith range in my secular job, I will honour their choices and treat them with the same regard and courtesy I treat everyone.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

watching with, well.... interest.
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

the_priest wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am
I have a faith, it is valid to me and to billions of other people. The language you use is simply confrontational. It is not a dialogue but a rant. However, to answer your question, people of faith are on TV because it is relevant to a huge percentage of the viewers. Yes, more people believe in God than those who do not... And, they have not been asked that question you pose "why has your God done this" because it is stupid. Simple as that. You want to put issues created and manifested by Human Beings at God's feet? The science proves it is man that has messed this up.

What is Kier Starmer doing? He is commentating on the faults of the Governmentas the opposition? In the same light, do you realise that their are Bishops who are also a Members of the House of Lords and hold Government to account? They are fulfilling their Eccesiastical position in bringing up the issues that are seen to be of note.

BTW I am definitely not mortally wounded. I take no offense at what you say, just how you say it. So, keeping things in persepctive, I have faith, you do not. That you think that is daft is your opinion, but sometimes you should, for the common good, keep that to yourself. I will never disparage someone for not believing as I do, regardless of faith, and I work with a very wide faith range in my secular job, I will honour their choices and treat them with the same regard and courtesy I treat everyone.
I'm not sure more people have faith than not, but it's not really provable either way.

I'm glad you are not mortally wounded, it's how it comes across, but hey, that's good. My post is not disparaging your faith, I am at liberty to ask questions about this while they are wheeling out people to criticise. To me it's quite simple, if you believe in the bible, its clearly stated 'god' made all living things - this includes the bad stuff as well as the good. So, again to me, it's a very logical constraint that he must have not only created this virus, but must have made the choice to let it loose into mankind. If we look again at the bible, previously he has laid claim to such acts as a lesson to man, plague, pestilence, floods etc etc. It's a bit of a cop out to not lay claim to this.

I could respect a faither on TV saying "well... man is a dirty bastard and 'god' has sent this as a warning to buck up his act"

I respect your choice to believe, personally, I think it's a crock of shit, just as you think my choice to think its a crock of shit, is itself a crock of shit.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

That is fine. We both have opinions. Thank you for your clarity above, may we both survive this mad episode of "Judgement" or "shit happens".

Stay safe and healthy. I'm just waiting for all this crap to end so I can look to changing my boring bike for something more fun, but that will obviously be a second hand recycled environmentally friendly green low carbon choice with at least 1200cc's if I get my way. :D
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

WheeliePig wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
I respect your choice to believe, personally, I think it's a crock of shit, just as you think my choice to think its a crock of shit, is itself a crock of shit.
There's a nice way of disagreeing with someone and there's a not so nice way... guess which this is ?

:geek:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

WheeliePig wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:56 am
the_priest wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

I'm not sure more people have faith than not, but it's not really provable either way.

I'm glad you are not mortally wounded, it's how it comes across, but hey, that's good. My post is not disparaging your faith, I am at liberty to ask questions about this while they are wheeling out people to criticise. To me it's quite simple, if you believe in the bible, its clearly stated 'god' made all living things - this includes the bad stuff as well as the good. So, again to me, it's a very logical constraint that he must have not only created this virus, but must have made the choice to let it loose into mankind. If we look again at the bible, previously he has laid claim to such acts as a lesson to man, plague, pestilence, floods etc etc. It's a bit of a cop out to not lay claim to this.

I could respect a faither on TV saying "well... man is a dirty bastard and 'god' has sent this as a warning to buck up his act"

Discussion is good. Ridicule is stupid.
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

the_priest wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:16 am That is fine. We both have opinions. Thank you for your clarity above, may we both survive this mad episode of "Judgement" or "shit happens".

Stay safe and healthy. I'm just waiting for all this crap to end so I can look to changing my boring bike for something more fun, but that will obviously be a second hand recycled environmentally friendly green low carbon choice with at least 1200cc's if I get my way. :D
Indeed, I wish you and yours, all the best too.

When this crap is over, there are a few things I will be doing I have put off for a few years.

There is some good coming from it imho. Local sense of community for a start, local shops being used (I hope this continues post event - alas I have my doubts) and may people are realising what friends and family really mean to them, now they are unable to see them at will.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

WheeliePig wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:09 pm "Why did 'god' make this disease"
We've quite a lot of gods, maybe they play tricks on one-another.
Brian
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

CV 19 actually exists..
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

If He did exist, you can’t help thinking he should be more, well, assertive.

Just listening to a really good audiobook on the history of the bible. It doesn’t seem to come at it from any particular preconceived angle, neither believing or non-believing, but it’s interesting listening.

Recently listened to Chris Hitchens’ God is not great as well which I thought was good. He was good to listen to and gone too soon.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

The trouble with "God" is that believers and non-believers alike seem incapable of contemplating the idea without assuming that if there is such a being humankind must be his proudest creation and his special concern, and if he can't be shown to behave in a way always sympathetic to human needs and frailties he must either be a wrathful god or an imaginary one.
It's pure human conceit to assume on the one hand that we must have a special place in his affections or on the other that the god concept must be invalid if such favouritism can't be demonstrated. It's narcissism either way, out of which we get both organised religion and evangelical atheism, two sides of the same coin and both pedaling power rather than salvation.

I'm an agnostic but if there is an intelligent creator I be vastly surprised of he looked fondly on human beings as his finest work or had any special care for us. Why would you expend special love on your most destructive creation and why bring it into being within an evolutionary design process that is intended to ensure the extinction of the flawed?

If there is a god I suspect he is coldly indifferent and sees all his handiwork as expendable and plague and cataclysm as mere process.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Gimlet wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 pm I'm an agnostic but if there is an intelligent creator I be vastly surprised of he looked fondly on human beings as his finest work or had any special care for us.

Watch this video and if you are still doubtful about a single entity produced our universe and all that is in it, go and take a pill.

You think any single entity could produce all that stuff, and continue to produce more and have any time for 'us'?

There is no god. Well, there are plenty of the fuckers in the minds of people on this planet but not one of them is real. But, if belief gets you through bad times and makes you a better person then hey, carry on. But you don't need any such beliefs to be a good person or to get you through shit.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

To be honest I don't really care. We'll all be dead soon enough and then we'll find out or not as the case may be. I'm not bothered either way. I'm not that interested in being a good person, whatever that is, because I don't like my own kind, and I don't crave the approval of other people. I don't really have the ability to empathise so I don't agonise over whether I'm a good or bad person, as long as I'm left alone.
The whole question of life, the universe and everything is a matter of abstract philosophical interest only. Though I find the passions and certainties of other people on both sides of the belief divide can be quite amusing to watch.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

To go back to the OP , if you are a believer in any of the Abrahamic Faiths you must surely accept that " God " was the first person to use biological warfare . ( plagues of Egypt )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagues_of_Egypt

No offence intended to anyone .
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Gimlet wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 pm The trouble with "God" is that believers and non-believers alike seem incapable of contemplating the idea without assuming that if there is such a being humankind must be his proudest creation and his special concern, and if he can't be shown to behave in a way always sympathetic to human needs and frailties he must either be a wrathful god or an imaginary one.
It's pure human conceit to assume on the one hand that we must have a special place in his affections or on the other that the god concept must be invalid if such favouritism can't be demonstrated. It's narcissism either way, out of which we get both organised religion and evangelical atheism, two sides of the same coin and both pedaling power rather than salvation.

I'm an agnostic but if there is an intelligent creator I be vastly surprised of he looked fondly on human beings as his finest work or had any special care for us. Why would you expend special love on your most destructive creation and why bring it into being within an evolutionary design process that is intended to ensure the extinction of the flawed?

If there is a god I suspect he is coldly indifferent and sees all his handiwork as expendable and plague and cataclysm as mere process.
Apparently God sent a flood because he was pissed at the actions of man (except Noah!). That demonstrates he does (or at did) GAF what 'we' did ?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I watch a fair bit of wildlife tv. aka nice tv. David "worthers" Attenborough would tell you, we, the human race are the most destructive species the planet has ever homed. Our selfishness and greed has no boundaries.

Our forever continuing need for growth and expansion will eventually be our downfall. Our planet cannot sustain this for ever. No one knows when or how it ends but we should take note of any indicators we face. Burying our heads in the sand only hides us from the truth.

We, the human race are to blame, nothing or nobody else. Believe in what you want if it helps you. Don't force your beliefs on others. Don't let your beliefs hurt others. Nature will find a way, but we may not.

Have a good day. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 am I watch a fair bit of wildlife tv. aka nice tv. David "worthers" Attenborough would tell you, we, the human race are the most destructive species the planet has ever homed. Our selfishness and greed has no boundaries.

Our forever continuing need for growth and expansion will eventually be our downfall. Our planet cannot sustain this for ever. No one knows when or how it ends but we should take note of any indicators we face. Burying our heads in the sand only hides us from the truth.

We, the human race are to blame, nothing or nobody else. Believe in what you want if it helps you. Don't force your beliefs on others. Don't let your beliefs hurt others. Nature will find a way, but we may not.

Have a good day. 👍
We're probably worse than any virus has or will be to human kind. We learn real slow and yet we do learn. I don't have any faith other than those that follow us will inexorably do better than we have up until this point. That's my belief. Don't expect this to be agreed with but, as I posted before. Whatever gets you through the night is alright. Roll on freedom from Covid 19.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Buckaroo wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 am I watch a fair bit of wildlife tv. aka nice tv. David "worthers" Attenborough would tell you, we, the human race are the most destructive species the planet has ever homed. Our selfishness and greed has no boundaries.

Have a good day. 👍
We're probably worse than any virus has or will be to human kind. We learn real slow and yet we do learn. I don't have any faith other than those that follow us will inexorably do better than we have up until this point. That's my belief. Don't expect this to be agreed with but, as I posted before. Whatever gets you through the night is alright. Roll on freedom from Covid 19.
Probably? Lol. Without doubt, human kind is the worst thing to happen to this planet. Greed and selfishness being most of that.
But they're also the most amazing evolutionary masterpiece ever too.

But stupid.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

the_priest wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:23 pm Who is to say God made it. Man's own fetid nature of messing about with animals and indiscrimate eating has done this. No God in this other than the way we love our neighbours in the community and treat those who are in need.
Really? I thought God said it was ok to chase down and catch and kill and eat most animals.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Gimlet wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:45 am To be honest I don't really care. We'll all be dead soon enough and then we'll find out or not as the case may be. I'm not bothered either way. I'm not that interested in being a good person, whatever that is, because I don't like my own kind, and I don't crave the approval of other people. I don't really have the ability to empathise so I don't agonise over whether I'm a good or bad person, as long as I'm left alone.
The whole question of life, the universe and everything is a matter of abstract philosophical interest only. Though I find the passions and certainties of other people on both sides of the belief divide can be quite amusing to watch.
You sound like a bit of a psychopath. Mind you, i'm not sure psychopaths like to be left alone, so maybe not. Also marginally puzzled by your implication that being a good person is linked to seeking the approval of others.