Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Horse »

the UK had to scramble after the announcement of trial results to say it had finally inked a deal to buy 5m doses.

The government added that it has already secured access to to 350m vaccine doses by putting in advance orders for several that are in development.

www.cityam.com/which-covid-vaccines-has ... dered/amp/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 pm
Gedge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm
millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:11 pm

You need 2 injections to immunise a person, spaced 3 weeks apart, so after the initial 3 weeks of injecting for no net result the productivity of the system (injections administered vs. immunisation achieved) is 0.5.

200,000 injections a day gives you 100,000 immunised people per day. 1 million is 10 days and we need, it appears, somewhere between 60 and 75% of the population immunised to achieve herd immunity. Worst case this means 50 million people need to be immune, but the vaccines appear to have 90% - or thereabouts - efficacy so you need to immunise 55 million or thereabouts to be sure. 550 days of non-stop vaccination at 200,000 injections per day on average to achieve this.

While the test centres do have a high throughput of tests bare in mind they are doing very little other than acting as hand out/collection points for the tests - which are largely self administered - and paperwork and that the test centres do not process the samples. The processing of the samples is done in industrial laboratories and is highly automated and done in large batches, not something you can do when administering injections.

We can't be in a situation where immunisation comes at the expense of all else, in terms of health service provision. We're already in the position where COVID has impacted upon the NHS's ability to do its day job and lives have/will be lost - to what extent is unclear - as a result. So can the existing infrastructure be asked to accommodate such a massive undertaking or does new need to be created?

The problem I foresee, although I may well be wrong, is that vaccination is going to rely on several different "brands" of vaccine and everyone will have to be given the correct pair of injections and, from the limited exposure I've had to NHS IT and record integrity/stability through my wife's past jobs as a hospice nurse, I don't think the existing NHS medical record system is up to administering 152 million new records/entries in a way that absolutely 100% guarantees everyone gets the correct injection at the correct time. So I can't see every GP surgery being capable of administering vaccinations because the record keeping/access won't allow it. The vaccination process will rely on a different IT system I would presume.

But of course I could be talking out of my hoop and the government has got it all planned and under control and it'll be a cinch....
I think you under estimate the number of vaccines that will be administered daily ...my numbers are theoretically conservative and come in at 1.5 million a day ... with the likely take up of around 70% we would need to do 45 million people ...that’s around 60 days .. as Wheelnut says the issue will be quantity of vaccine rather than ability to issue it ... as the key target seems to be key workers, the vulnerable and the over 50s I think it perfectly possible to get them done by Easter if the doses are manufactured at the same pace. ?

Record keeping could be as simple as marking the vaccine card with the correct vaccine type and scribbling the date if the next appointment ...it doesn’t need to be rocket science although I expect some one will spring for an all singing database that will cost millions and be ready the day after the virus has been eliminated ..
I hope you're right, but I'd be willing to have a bet (£10 to a charity of choice?) that they don't ever get above 200,000 injections administered per day...
I don’t gamble but for comparison in 2019 Flu season the UK administered 14 million vaccinations ...assuming a 16 week flu season that would be roughly 80 days and that’s around 175000 a day ...pretty sure the covid scaling up will exceed that figure once the ball gets rolling ..
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Horse wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:00 pm
wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:50 pm
irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:09 pm
Pssst, Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine.
Unless Boris has got 130 million doses sat in his shed, my point still stands ....
Haven't they placed multiple orders for different vaccines, totalling 300-350M?
Having them on order isn’t the same as having them.
I once had to wait over 9 months to take delivery of a single vw scirocco......
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote:
Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 pm Did you read what you wrote? "... it also increases her risk of getting covid unless she has the vaccine." I.e. she has the vaccine so that she doesn't become infected. :roll:
You evidently do not understand how vaccines work.
Saga Lout wrote:
I know enough to know that they trigger the body's immune system so that it knows how to produce antibodies to attack the virus.

I.e. they protect the individual who is vaccinated.

How do you think they work?
You have to become infected in order to trigger the body's immune response to produce antibodies.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 pm I know enough to know that they trigger the body's immune system so that it knows how to produce antibodies to attack the virus.

A vaccine protects populations, not people. If all the people that get on a bus pay £1 then the bus will have enough to pay for the fuel to get where it’s going. If 90 percent of the people pay £1 it will still get there. If 70 percent pay then it should get there but it’s getting touch and go. If 50 percent pay then there’s a good chance no one on the bus will get to where they want to go.

A vaccine doesn’t necessarily stop you getting the disease you’re vaccinated against. I got the rubella jab when I was a nipper. I still caught German measles. But, at a population level you are a lot less likely to catch the disease you’re vaccinated against, and the chances of it ripping through a population, like measles would, is a lot less. The outbreaks of measles that are happening now aren’t just infecting the non vaccinated kids, they are infecting both. If everybody was vaccinated against measles then the outbreaks would be less serious and more limited.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:16 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 pm I know enough to know that they trigger the body's immune system so that it knows how to produce antibodies to attack the virus.

A vaccine protects populations, not people. If all the people that get on a bus pay £1 then the bus will have enough to pay for the fuel to get where it’s going. If 90 percent of the people pay £1 it will still get there. If 70 percent pay then it should get there but it’s getting touch and go. If 50 percent pay then there’s a good chance no one on the bus will get to where they want to go.

A vaccine doesn’t necessarily stop you getting the disease you’re vaccinated against. I got the rubella jab when I was a nipper. I still caught German measles. But, at a population level you are a lot less likely to catch the disease you’re vaccinated against, and the chances of it ripping through a population, like measles would, is a lot less. The outbreaks of measles that are happening now aren’t just infecting the non vaccinated kids, they are infecting both. If everybody was vaccinated against measles then the outbreaks would be less serious and more limited.
If you intend to travel to a place where e.g. yellow fever is rife you get vaccinated against yellow fever. You don't do that to protect the natives, you do that to protect yourself. The population effect of vaccination is secondary. My GP suggested I have the flu vaccine because it would be dangerous for me to get flu, not to protect my next door neighbour.

And your bus analogy is ridiculous. I've often been on a bus where I was the only passenger, it still got where it was going.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:53 pm My GP suggested I have the flu vaccine because it would be dangerous for me to get flu, not to protect my next door neighbour.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... cines-work

In all seriousness, it's a double-edged sword, in that it works two ways, it works for you and if it's successful enough it can create herd immunity, which means the virus doesn't actually disappear but it can't get a proper grip anywhere.

But do me a favour and quote less, the ignore function isn't fantastic on this site and you quoting people just makes it worse.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55227325

"A 90-year-old woman from Northern Ireland has become the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid vaccine outside trial conditions - marking the start of the UK's mass vaccination programme."
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just watched the first jab on 90 odd year old lady on gmtv. Now we wait for the stories, when some of these old folk die. 😯
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:12 am Just watched the first jab on 90 odd year old lady on gmtv. Now we wait for the stories, when some of these old folk die. 😯
[X] Spoiler

If you can wait long enough, everyone dies :)
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

They are doing the old coffers first because when they grow an extra head or turn to zombies they will be easier to defeat....
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:35 am They are doing the old coffers first because when they grow an extra head or turn to zombies they will be easier to defeat....
NoNoNoNo the plan was to find a way of identifying antivaxxers!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:35 am They are doing the old coffers first because when they grow an extra head or turn to zombies they will be easier to defeat....
Do zombies get less troublesome with age? I thought they were all equally menacing?
The ones on this site are anyway :D

God bless her, but the thought that immediately struck me was that she's probably getting on for close to double the age that human beings would naturally live to without modern medicines. And whilst it's possible to keep someone alive for a long time they're probably not going to be able to contribute so much the older they get. So when they've finished making sure that everyone lives 30-40yrs beyond their useful working age who will figure out the much more complicated solution of how to care and pay for them all.

I understand the desire for immortality, I don't want to die either, but if everyone lives to 100yrs old then they need to push the retirement age up to about 85 - although of course voluntary retirement is fine at any age if you can pay your own way.
moth

Post by moth »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:10 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55227325

"A 90-year-old woman from Northern Ireland has become the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid vaccine outside trial conditions - marking the start of the UK's mass vaccination programme."

How long has Coventry been in Norn Ireland?

Skub? Anyone?
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Horse

Post by Horse »

moth wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 am

Skub? Anyone?
Apparently lived in Coventry for 60 years. Must be like Cornwall, no matter how long you've lived there, you will always be a 'comeover'.
Horse

Post by Horse »

And patient No. 2?

A certain Mr Wm Shakespeare, from Warwickshire :)
moth

Post by moth »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:22 am
moth wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 am

Skub? Anyone?
Apparently lived in Coventry for 60 years. Must be like Cornwall, no matter how long you've lived there, you will always be a 'comeover'.
You've never been to Coventry have you? :)

Don't bother, multi-cultural doesn't even begin to describe it. I think I saw a Venusian last time I was forced to go there.
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:58 am
I understand the desire for immortality, I don't want to die either, but if everyone lives to 100yrs old then they need to push the retirement age up to about 85 - although of course voluntary retirement is fine at any age if you can pay your own way.
Good luck with that one. :D

Of course the solution is to get young people to vote, as long as the average voting age is 612 nothing will change. But just look at attitudes like Greeny's (a little ironically he's older than me) for reasons as to why they doesn't happen.

Personally I'm working on the assumption I will get nothing from the man until I'm well past 70 and cutting my cloth accordingly now.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:28 am
Harry wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:58 am
Good luck with that one. :D

Of course the solution is to get young people to vote, as long as the average voting age is 612 nothing will change. But just look at attitudes like Greeny's (a little ironically he's older than me) for reasons as to why they doesn't happen.

Personally I'm working on the assumption I will get nothing from the man until I'm well past 70 and cutting my cloth accordingly now.
Hang on, why don't i vote, what do you think the reasons for me not voting are?

Are you making things up again?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Greenman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:32 am

Hang on, why don't i vote, what do you think the reasons for me not voting are?

Are you making things up again?

What have I made up?

I don't know why you don't vote, or at least I can't remember. I said attitudes like yours. Politicians are corrupt, everyone except me is a sheep and so on.