Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by irie »

FYI: Mrs irie says she can do about 110 jabs a day*, that includes checking identity, disclosure etc.

* that's flu jabs, assume C19 would be no more complicated.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Think of a big number. Add on all the nurses in the UK. Multiply by your house number. Then multiply by the month of your birthday.

That's the answer :)
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 pm FYI: Mrs irie says she can do about 110 jabs a day*, that includes checking identity, disclosure etc.

Is that recently now that Covid is about? Will it have slowed down the amount she can do due to PPE or social distancing? I assume it also increases her risk of getting covid unless she has the vaccine*

*An example where someone has the vaccine for the greater good.
millemille

Post by millemille »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 pm FYI: Mrs irie says she can do about 110 jabs a day*, that includes checking identity, disclosure etc.

I can foresee that the admin will be a lot more complicated/rigorous to ensure that the recipient is getting the correct injection because I can't see that the individual vaccines will have been tested for reactions when combined with each other....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:33 pm

I can foresee that the admin will be a lot more complicated/rigorous to ensure that the recipient is getting the correct injection because I can't see that the individual vaccines will have been tested for reactions when combined with each other....
Red biro for one, blue for the other!

Reminds me of when I had eye surgery, they drew a sharpie arrow on my forehead pointing at the relevant eye :D
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 am
We shouldn't tackle the COVID crisis effectively until people stop getting drunk and smoking?
Fuck that, they're the only things that have kept me sane* this year!

*only relative to how I usually am, of course :D
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Is that recently now that Covid is about? Will it have slowed down the amount she can do due to PPE or social distancing? I assume it also increases her risk of getting covid unless she has the vaccine*

Did you read what you wrote? "... it also increases her risk of getting covid unless she has the vaccine." I.e. she has the vaccine so that she doesn't become infected. :roll:
demographic

Post by demographic »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Did you read what you wrote? "... it also increases her risk of getting covid unless she has the vaccine." I.e. she has the vaccine so that she doesn't become infected. :roll:

Err, coming into close contact with a hundred or more people per day increases her risk.
If she has the vaccine herself then it wont.

Was that hard for you to understand or are you just being obtuse?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:44 pm Err, coming into close contact with a hundred or more people per day increases her risk.
If she has the vaccine herself then it wont.

So she has the vaccine to protect herself. A side effect is that it also protects the hundred people she comes into contact with but the reason she has the vaccine is to protect herself.

demographic

Post by demographic »

Or possibly she has the vaccine so she can do her job of helping others.

Deffo more than 90 but less than 180.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I think the biggest issue won’t be so much in administering the vaccine, it will be getting hold of it to administer. It’s a global market and all countries will be clamouring for it. I would imagine it will be produced under license in different countries, but the manufacturing facilities still need to be built and staffed so production can be ramped up to cope with demand.
irie

Post by irie »

She has her own health company and does flu jabs for her clients every year, and this year was wearing ppe.

She won't be doing any Covid-19 jabs. Perhaps next year the flu and covid jabs will be combined, we shall see.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:36 pm

You evidently do not understand how vaccines work.
Last edited by irie on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:00 pm I think the biggest issue won’t be so much in administering the vaccine, it will be getting hold of it to administer. It’s a global market and all countries will be clamouring for it. I would imagine it will be produced under license in different countries, but the manufacturing facilities still need to be built and staffed so production can be ramped up to cope with demand.
Pssst, Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:11 pm
Gedge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:33 pm

I'd say that's a very optimistic figure. But don't forget, let's say 25% of them are under 20, therefore you do them last.
I’m Not following the maths ?

100,000 per day is 2.1 million in 3 weeks which would equate to 10 million by end of March .. There are around 7600 ( google fact) doctors surgeries , so ignoring purpose built vaccination sites and hospitals let alone pharmacies so if each surgery did 15 vaccinations a day that would easily be 100,000 a day ...in reality vaccination centres and hospitals re likely to do many tens if thousands more a day ( test centre already do hundreds of thousands of covid tests which I reckon would take longer than a vaccination )
You need 2 injections to immunise a person, spaced 3 weeks apart, so after the initial 3 weeks of injecting for no net result the productivity of the system (injections administered vs. immunisation achieved) is 0.5.

200,000 injections a day gives you 100,000 immunised people per day. 1 million is 10 days and we need, it appears, somewhere between 60 and 75% of the population immunised to achieve herd immunity. Worst case this means 50 million people need to be immune, but the vaccines appear to have 90% - or thereabouts - efficacy so you need to immunise 55 million or thereabouts to be sure. 550 days of non-stop vaccination at 200,000 injections per day on average to achieve this.

While the test centres do have a high throughput of tests bare in mind they are doing very little other than acting as hand out/collection points for the tests - which are largely self administered - and paperwork and that the test centres do not process the samples. The processing of the samples is done in industrial laboratories and is highly automated and done in large batches, not something you can do when administering injections.

We can't be in a situation where immunisation comes at the expense of all else, in terms of health service provision. We're already in the position where COVID has impacted upon the NHS's ability to do its day job and lives have/will be lost - to what extent is unclear - as a result. So can the existing infrastructure be asked to accommodate such a massive undertaking or does new need to be created?

The problem I foresee, although I may well be wrong, is that vaccination is going to rely on several different "brands" of vaccine and everyone will have to be given the correct pair of injections and, from the limited exposure I've had to NHS IT and record integrity/stability through my wife's past jobs as a hospice nurse, I don't think the existing NHS medical record system is up to administering 152 million new records/entries in a way that absolutely 100% guarantees everyone gets the correct injection at the correct time. So I can't see every GP surgery being capable of administering vaccinations because the record keeping/access won't allow it. The vaccination process will rely on a different IT system I would presume.

But of course I could be talking out of my hoop and the government has got it all planned and under control and it'll be a cinch....
I think you under estimate the number of vaccines that will be administered daily ...my numbers are theoretically conservative and come in at 1.5 million a day ... with the likely take up of around 70% we would need to do 45 million people ...that’s around 60 days .. as Wheelnut says the issue will be quantity of vaccine rather than ability to issue it ... as the key target seems to be key workers, the vulnerable and the over 50s I think it perfectly possible to get them done by Easter if the doses are manufactured at the same pace. ?

Record keeping could be as simple as marking the vaccine card with the correct vaccine type and scribbling the date if the next appointment ...it doesn’t need to be rocket science although I expect some one will spring for an all singing database that will cost millions and be ready the day after the virus has been eliminated ..
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:09 pm
Unless Boris has got 130 million doses sat in his shed, my point still stands ....
millemille

Post by millemille »

Gedge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm
millemille wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:11 pm
Gedge wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 pm

I’m Not following the maths ?

100,000 per day is 2.1 million in 3 weeks which would equate to 10 million by end of March .. There are around 7600 ( google fact) doctors surgeries , so ignoring purpose built vaccination sites and hospitals let alone pharmacies so if each surgery did 15 vaccinations a day that would easily be 100,000 a day ...in reality vaccination centres and hospitals re likely to do many tens if thousands more a day ( test centre already do hundreds of thousands of covid tests which I reckon would take longer than a vaccination )
You need 2 injections to immunise a person, spaced 3 weeks apart, so after the initial 3 weeks of injecting for no net result the productivity of the system (injections administered vs. immunisation achieved) is 0.5.

200,000 injections a day gives you 100,000 immunised people per day. 1 million is 10 days and we need, it appears, somewhere between 60 and 75% of the population immunised to achieve herd immunity. Worst case this means 50 million people need to be immune, but the vaccines appear to have 90% - or thereabouts - efficacy so you need to immunise 55 million or thereabouts to be sure. 550 days of non-stop vaccination at 200,000 injections per day on average to achieve this.

While the test centres do have a high throughput of tests bare in mind they are doing very little other than acting as hand out/collection points for the tests - which are largely self administered - and paperwork and that the test centres do not process the samples. The processing of the samples is done in industrial laboratories and is highly automated and done in large batches, not something you can do when administering injections.

We can't be in a situation where immunisation comes at the expense of all else, in terms of health service provision. We're already in the position where COVID has impacted upon the NHS's ability to do its day job and lives have/will be lost - to what extent is unclear - as a result. So can the existing infrastructure be asked to accommodate such a massive undertaking or does new need to be created?

The problem I foresee, although I may well be wrong, is that vaccination is going to rely on several different "brands" of vaccine and everyone will have to be given the correct pair of injections and, from the limited exposure I've had to NHS IT and record integrity/stability through my wife's past jobs as a hospice nurse, I don't think the existing NHS medical record system is up to administering 152 million new records/entries in a way that absolutely 100% guarantees everyone gets the correct injection at the correct time. So I can't see every GP surgery being capable of administering vaccinations because the record keeping/access won't allow it. The vaccination process will rely on a different IT system I would presume.

But of course I could be talking out of my hoop and the government has got it all planned and under control and it'll be a cinch....
I think you under estimate the number of vaccines that will be administered daily ...my numbers are theoretically conservative and come in at 1.5 million a day ... with the likely take up of around 70% we would need to do 45 million people ...that’s around 60 days .. as Wheelnut says the issue will be quantity of vaccine rather than ability to issue it ... as the key target seems to be key workers, the vulnerable and the over 50s I think it perfectly possible to get them done by Easter if the doses are manufactured at the same pace. ?

Record keeping could be as simple as marking the vaccine card with the correct vaccine type and scribbling the date if the next appointment ...it doesn’t need to be rocket science although I expect some one will spring for an all singing database that will cost millions and be ready the day after the virus has been eliminated ..
I hope you're right, but I'd be willing to have a bet (£10 to a charity of choice?) that they don't ever get above 200,000 injections administered per day...
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:08 pm
You evidently do not understand how vaccines work.
I know enough to know that they trigger the body's immune system so that it knows how to produce antibodies to attack the virus.

I.e. they protect the individual who is vaccinated.

How do you think they work?
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:50 pm
irie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:09 pm
Unless Boris has got 130 million doses sat in his shed, my point still stands ....
Haven't they placed multiple orders for different vaccines, totalling 300-350M?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: