Custom Earplugs

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Mr. Dazzle

Custom Earplugs

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

What?! Pardon? Etc.

I've wondered back and forth about buying custom earplugs for the best part of 10 years now. Are they worth it?

I wear earplugs pretty much every time I ride, I dislike riding without them now. For the past few years I've used the "fruit salad" coloured foam bullet ones, I just buy 'em in bulk online.

Any thoughts on how custom fitted ones compare? Anyone had some which include headphones like racing drivers have?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Custom Earplugs

Post by weeksy »

Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I had custom fit earplugs (paid for by work), one set including speakers, the others were blanks. Moulded to my ear canal, but they were the most uncomfortable things to wear. The headphone ones I cut off the piece that went down in to my ear, so they just sat in my outer ear. Comfortable and I could still hear perfectly at three figure speeds. Only wore the blanks once.

I found a set of foam plugs that suit me after buying a multi pack of different ones.
First used earplugs when I read that Freddie Spencer rode with them in as he could hear what his engine was doing better. As I rode a two stroke triple at the time, I was always paranoid about it seizing.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

One thing I have noticed over the years of my job issued bike earplugs is how much my ear shape has changed over the years. I have 4 sets now, made by the same company and they’re all quite different. My earplugs with integral comms are also pretty different as well.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I got some custom plugs made by Auritech last year. The attenuation wasn't good enough, so I sent them back. They fitted an extra filter. I still wasn't happy. I stick with the disposables.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've had the ones which weeksy linked before...IME they're not significantly different to the foam ones, but maybe they're worth another shot.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

I've got these : https://minervahearing.co.uk/product/mi-bike/
Best bike accessory I've ever bought and use them for work as well ( Landscaping ) . Very good sound reproduction and use with Cardo PackTalk intercoms. Bit fiddly to use on the bike as u got to remember to unplug them before taking your lid off etc but doesn't take long to remember.
As normal not cheap but worth every penny. I use them with an Ear Balm cream which makes them a lot easier to fit.
Service from Minerva is excellent - the girls certainly know their stuff and well worth a visit to Cardiff. The main scenario that people seem to have with other makes is the moulds ( and I've been around the houses on this one ) but again Minerva were great. I also think they use a different type of material for the actual plugs
They do recommend changing them every two / three years as your ear canal changes shape so have added them to Santa's list.

Give them a bell and see what they say.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Alan PBTD wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:51 pmThe main scenario that people seem to have with other makes is the moulds
You need to keep still. Talking or moving your jaw apparently slightly changes the shape of your ear canal.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:01 pm
Alan PBTD wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:51 pmThe main scenario that people seem to have with other makes is the moulds
You need to keep still. Talking or moving your jaw apparently slightly changes the shape of your ear canal.
No use for the ladies,then.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I've just bought a bag of the fruit salad type ones - they seem to work better than the slightly more expensive re usable ones I have - personal preference .
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I always use the Howard Leight Laser Lite's... which I assume are the one people call the Fruit Salad ones?

Bought a fucking massive bag full off ebay several years ago for buttons and still have hundreds left.
Funners

Post by Funners »

I've run custom ear plugs for the last 15 years or so, I've had :

1)just ear plugs - very comfortable, very durable and for me, no more sore ears/ear infections on multiday tours, I still use them for work purposes

2)ear plugs with speakers, not quitre as comfortable as the stand alone ones, still ok and the obvious benefits of being able to hear comms/phone/music clearly, down sides are messing with the wires all the time, damage to the wires, there are now Bluetooth versions available if you have deep pockets :o

3) latest ones, - filtered ear plugs, much more comfortable than the ear piece ones, does a good job on killing the wind noise without compromising being able to hear external sounds and the intercom/phone/music :thumbup:

all the above are from Ultimate Ear, they use a nationwide network of agents to take the moulds, this is the potential weak link as they are only as good as the moulds, I've been lucky and my local "mould taker" seems to be a good one.

Are they better than foam ??...for ME, yes they are, much more comfortable for long days and multi day tours
Do they work ?... well my last hearing test I was above average for my age group so it would appear so.. :mrgreen:

the tough part is I genuinely believe they dont suit everybody, and its an expensive thing to try